Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Next year we'll be orf to Devon in July. Probably the south as we've not been there, so I'm after some suggestions for the very spiffingest sites to take the bus to.

Things we like... walks in lovely places (we've got two Yorkies that insist on coming with us everywhere so museums are out), forests, coasts, interesting towns and architecture, dog-friendly places, pasty and cider shops, peace and quiet (as much as possible anyway), showers/loos and elictrickery.

Any suggestions please?

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We stayed at the Caravan Club site Hillhead near Brixham in September.

It's a lovely site with sea views, a 10 minute drive to Brixham or a short ferry ride across to Dartmouth which gives you access to several towns and beaches within 20 miles.

Although it's quite a large site, it's partitioned off with hedges so feels quite cosy. There is a bar/restaurant/shop if you don't want to drive.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Thanks, Janine, it's got some great reviews! I've added it to my Googly maps places for future reference.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
We go to Cofton Country Holidays a lot (well we did with the 'van, haven't been with the MoHo yet!). It is really lovely, dog friendly, has fishing lakes, indoor and outdoor pools, entertainment if you want it (we don't bother usually) and good food. Locally you can walk to the Exmouth Ferry, or across to Dawlish Warren's nature reserve. You can get a bus outside the gate of the site into Dawlish which is very quaint, and where you can get regular cheap trains into Torbay or Exeter. Plenty to do and if you book early they give you an excellent discount!
Here's a link.... http://www.coftonholidays.co.uk/

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
http://www.thegooddogguide.com/devon/dog-friendly-beaches
This site gives you fairly good info on beaches for dogs--only certain ones they're allowed on in the summer :(
I've also stayed at Cofton, in the winter, not sure what it'd be like height of summer season, probably too many children for my liking!
Pool was nice and there is a large dog field that leads into woodland.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The CC site at Totnes is very civilised although there is only one long walk - downstream along the Dart.

Their site at Torcross is very popular and the beach is dog friendly unlike most beaches in south Devon which ban dogs in the summer.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
The Steamer Quay CC site in Totnes is a short walk from the town; it's only disadvantage is that there is no EHU and all pitches are grass.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I'm actually in Devon right now, not MH'ing but in a rented cottage near Salcombe, lovely area but as always, look out for the very narrow roads?(lanes)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Cofton and Woodlands are in the AcSi book if its early July. No pool at Woodlands but the shower block was fantasic.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Simon, I have to agree with those who have suggested Steamer Quay at Totnes. There is so much to see and do and there is no need to have your own transport. Totnes town centre is a 5 minute stroll away. Buses run frequently from Totnes to all other South Devon towns and attractions. You can take a trip on the South Devon Railway steam train which operates between Totnes and Buckfastleigh. And my top tip is to do the 'Round Robin' - boat trip from the quay 200 yards from the site (on the Kingswear Castle paddle steamer if you are lucky) to Dartmouth, then ferry over the river to Kingswear, steam train to Paignton and open-top bus back to Steamer Quay. It's a brilliant way to spend a whole day.
As far as the site is concerned, as stated no EHU and the toilet block is rather dated because the CC lease the site from the local council.
Stef.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Another vote for the "Round Robin" from Totnes, we are locals and yet we always find time to do this trip once a year. You will love Totnes as it is a truly quirky town with a very interesting history regarding its relationship with nearby Dartington College founded by the Elmhurst family. There is a lovely circular walk that takes you up the river and through the college where you can stop off at the White Hart pub for lunch before heading down through the estate to wards the Dartington Glass works where you can have a cuppa before the return leg to Totnes. On the high street there is a pub / bistro called Rumours which serves excellent food and beer. During the day the best entertainment is watching the aged Hippies that populate the place; all very far out man! If all that isn't enough then fire up the van for a day and explore Dartmoor, stay away from the tacky tourist traps, and you will find superb walking for you and the dogs.

The Tinca's

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We too were at Hillhead, but it was foggy all the time so no sea view for us. Bus stop outside the gate for Brixham or Dartmouth and from Paignton you can get the olde worlde bus to Cockiington. I wouldn't want to take the bus route into Brixham with the van, it was a bit hairy.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I recommend Woodlands Grove campsite between Totnes and Dartmouth. They have a 5 night deal for only £49 outside the school holidays. For this you not only get top notch showers etc but also free access to the large theme park next door.

There is a bus stop at the site entrance where you can get a bus to Totnes or Dartmouth, no narrow lanes to worry about either.

Paul

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Narrow LANES??? NARROW LANES???:swear2:

Where? Here in the South West??? :party2:

Some ov 'em are 2.4mtres wide! Veritable Motorways!:rofl::rofl:

Toughen up Funsters!:whistle2:

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Thanks everybody. I think I've decided on Totnes as it always pops up on all sorts of sites as the place to visit in Devon anyway.
Looking forward to it now :)

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Just an addendum: we've been to north Devon once, many years ago, and visited Barnstaple, Bideford, Ilfracombe, Combe Martin etc. and I wondered whether people generally favour the north or the south?

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Thanks everybody. I think I've decided on Totnes as it always pops up on all sorts of sites as the place to visit in Devon anyway.
Looking forward to it now :)

It's lovely. We went for the day and found there was a food festival on plus great street entertainers - musicians and Morris dancers.

Such a happy little town :)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We've only done south devon and loved it, especially Totnes although we've not stayed there (tis on the list though).

Did you manage to get sorted for Holmsley btw?

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
We've only done south devon and loved it, especially Totnes although we've not stayed there (tis on the list though).

Did you manage to get sorted for Holmsley btw?

Thanks Debs, yes. Campingintheforest replied to my email and said that booking opens in early January but the exact date is yet to be decided.

I think we'll definitely go to Totnes - I sometimes feel it's a mistake to go back, twenty years later, to a place you really loved because it won't be the same and I might be disappointed with north Devon. It was enough of a shock when I looked around the place on Googlymaps; gurt big shopping sheds everywhere and speed bumps through the villages. I know things change but it's a shame sometimes.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Wonder if sometimes you might be a little better inland, doesn't seem to change as much over the years.

When we were looking to buy we went to Nick at Bundesvan who kept his sales vehicles in storage on a campsite which was really nice. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called but will have a nosey on google maps:think:

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Narrow LANES??? NARROW LANES???:swear2:

Where? Here in the South West??? :party2:

Some ov 'em are 2.4mtres wide! Veritable Motorways!:rofl::rofl:

Toughen up Funsters!:whistle2:

Oh yes, motorways in Devon:LOL:, This was earlier this year on the A379 at ? Strete, we had been on Dartmouth CCC site and were moving to Slapton CCC site skip to 4min into the clip :eek:. Both good sites, but watch those roads.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
:LOL: That about sums our experience up although you did have a lot of white lines.....

Don't attempt Start Point if narrow lanes bother you, fab views though:)

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Oh yes, motorways in Devon:LOL:, This was earlier this year on the A379 at ? Strete, we had been on Dartmouth CCC site and were moving to Slapton CCC site skip to 4min into the clip :eek:. Both good sites, but watch those roads.

Well that all looks just fi.... OMG!!! They all just sat there and got YOU to squeeze through?? Well, it puts my "We're going to need a helicopter to get out of this" moments into perspective! :)

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
The bus wasn't a problem, the plonker in the VW must have got brain freeze, just sat there, anyone know how to get scuff marks off my nearside mirror:cry:

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Just an addendum: we've been to north Devon once, many years ago, and visited Barnstaple, Bideford, Ilfracombe, Combe Martin etc. and I wondered whether people generally favour the north or the south?
For me it has to be the south. My maternal family tree is firmly rooted in Torbay soil and I lived there for a few years as a child. So very beautiful!

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
For me it has to be the south. My maternal family tree is firmly rooted in Torbay soil and I lived there for a few years as a child. So very beautiful!

South Devon is one of our "When we win the lottery maybe we'll move to..." places. I've a feeling our visit will push it up the list :)

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
We stayed at Damage Barton in north Devon before we went to the south coast, good walks along coastal path, we were going to stay at Wildmans site but our fridge wouldn't work on gas, so needed hook up

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.

Favour the North or the South? Talk like that will start a civil war down these parts and we will see fighting on the streets the like of which has not been seen since the Chudleigh Cider Riots back in 1835

The Tinca's

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back