Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
Hi all
has any one used toll m/w from Calais to the other side of paris rather than via rouen if so how much was toll class 2 Thanks

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We have used a non-toll road for most of this route and it is nice.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Not quite sure where exactly you mean so have chosen Chartres as a measuring point as this is commonly used when going south from Calais, via Rouen and I guess Paris for those few who attempt the journey in a motorhome.

(As an aside, it is generally agreed within the motor-homing fraternity that Paris is a no no in a motorhome. Apparently, the French go nuts when they see you and your GB plate. Probably the same for the French too as the roads are so congested. If your going to do it, do it in the very early hours of the morning).

Anyway, the Toll fare, A26-A1 via Paris for a class two motorhome is currently €42.40. Going via Rouen using Toll roads is €15.30.

However, you can do this Toll free (Well almost, no more than €5.00) by taking the non toll road to Abbeville then A28 motorway - A29 Motorway (€2,00 Toll) - A151 motorway - A150 motorway - N1338 across the Seine and then join N338 to link up with the A 13 Motorway (€2.50 Toll) and away you go. The great thing about this route is it's simplicity, especially getting through Rouen which is apart from a very short section going over the river, duel carriageway/motorway.

This link is very useful for planning journeys in France: http://about-france.com/routes-from-calais.htm

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Paris is no problem around the peripherique, we have done it several times in the motorhome and towing the caravan, still dont know what the cost was though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Paris is no problem around the peripherique, we have done it several times in the motorhome and towing the caravan, still dont know what the cost was though.

Absolutely agree we've been through Paris on the peripherique in the m/home loads of times with no problems.
In fact on Tuesday this week that was my first choice as it's easily the quickest route . Instead we did the Rouen route but it's a lot longer than going through Paris not sure I'll do it again probably be the Paris route for me.
As for cost on tolls not sure but it wasn't much to the south of Paris it's the next section down to Clermont Ferrand that costs a bloody fortune.
UK vehicle tax is still cheap compared to toll roads.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin, Don't know if you read all of my post above but it did include the Toll fare for a class 2 vehicle. Love to Jen, All good here (and the heating is on now too ).
Hi Philip, YES of course I did,

after I posted:LOL: but I included the link as well(y).

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Absolutely agree we've been through Paris on the peripherique in the m/home loads of times with no problems.
In fact on Tuesday this week that was my first choice as it's easily the quickest route . Instead we did the Rouen route but it's a lot longer than going through Paris not sure I'll do it again probably be the Paris route for me.
As for cost on tolls not sure but it wasn't much to the south of Paris it's the next section down to Clermont Ferrand that costs a bloody fortune.
UK vehicle tax is still cheap compared to toll roads.
Appreciate you may have used a different destination than I have in my post.....but! according to Google maps Calais to Chartres via Paris 374 K and 3 Hrs 37 min. Via Rouen 344 K and 3 Hrs 32 min. I would be interested to know the route you use to circumnavigate Paris.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Appreciate you may have used a different destination than I have in my post.....but! according to Google maps Calais to Chartres via Paris 374 K and 3 Hrs 37 min. Via Rouen 344 K and 3 Hrs 32 min. I would be interested to know the route you use to circumnavigate Paris.

Blimey I've just put the same routes in as you quoted and got
Calais Chatres via Rouen 9hr30 min 870k
Calais Chatres via Paris 8hr45min 810k

We using a different Chatres as mines 3 times further than yours. Could be this Spanish beer I'm drinking.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I do not understand the classes I have a Chausson Odesee 92, and it is 7 mtr long and max weight 3860kg I think it is under 3 mtr high so what class is it? I do not see on the tariff form the type of vehicle the classes are. Also the last time I went to France the N1 was the main road to Paris as the A1 started at Lille.. It seems all the roads I used then are now Autoroutes. Maybe I should not go there as it looks that the tolls would kill my budget especially a long trip.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I do not understand the classes I have a Chausson Odesee 92, and it is 7 mtr long and max weight 3860kg I think it is under 3 mtr high so what class is it? I do not see on the tariff form the type of vehicle the classes are. Also the last time I went to France the N1 was the main road to Paris as the A1 started at Lille.. It seems all the roads I used then are now Autoroutes. Maybe I should not go there as it looks that the tolls would kill my budget especially a long trip.

You can get to almost anywhere you want in France without having to pay Toll fares. Have a good read of the document in the earlier link I posted in this thread.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi GWAYGWAY

This link will give you the classifications, it shows you as class 3 as over 3.5t GVW but in reality it seems to be the height that is the main trigger so you should usually get away with class 2. As Forestboy says he should be class 3 but if they don't count his axles he get charged on his height at class 2. We are over 3.3 metres so don't stand a chance and just avoid them as much as possible and usually have a nice scenic drive.

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
We are 3.3 metres high on twin axles, on all the toll roads we used in France bar 2, we got away with class 2 by pressing the buzzer and telling the operator "je suis une Camping Car", they reduced the toll from class 3 to class 2 with no arguments.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back