Batteries and charging (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Now beginning the silly questions, none of which are silly if you know the answer but to a complete numpty like myself!!!:whistle:

Firstly, does anyone know what original standard battery is fitted to the Bolero 712?
I don't pick up the van until the 18th and I am trying to research/forward plan suitable options for the way I perceive I will use the MH. I think one off my first jobs will be to fit another leisure battery and to try and cover charging options, there is a solar panel already fitted but at the moment I don't know the make output or anything else.:wasntme:

I've noticed in a number of threads the term B to B charging so have done a little research, I by no means understand the techy jargon but my grasp of the idea is that charging between the leisure batteries and veh battery are optimized to get the most out of the alternator whilst traveling. I do however think that the cost of this type of system may be out of my budget range.

During the research I have also read about "Advanced digital alternator regulators" again I'm not o fey with the techy stuff but it appears that this system performs the same function in a different way but at a more affordable cost.

Any clarification advice in layman terms would be appreciated.(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Well 'stard we picked ours up and went away in it for the night only to find out the leisure battery was buggered. The MH is in for some jobs including a new battery. The plan is to set out again to see how long with our particular usage it lasts, if it doesn't last long enough we will then choose what to do next but to save money we are going to " suck it and see" first. :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well 'stard we picked ours up and went away in it for the night only to find out the leisure battery was buggered. The MH is in for some jobs including a new battery. The plan is to set out again to see how long with our particular usage it lasts, if it doesn't last long enough we will then choose what to do next but to save money we are going to " suck it and see" first. :)
A very wise move.
You may find what you have will do what you want.
I shudder to think how much money has been spent on "must have's" only to realise they are just "wants" and can get by without.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
A very wise move.
You may find what you have will do what you want.
I shudder to think how much money has been spent on "must have's" only to realise they are just "wants" and can get by without.

Very true, if I fitted everything that's been recommended on Funsters I would be bankrupt and the MH would be four tonnes over MPGVW. :D

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
You may already have a split charging system. I bought an expensive slow charger for mine only to find the Rapido already had one which works well. Travelled throughout Spain last winter staying at different camp sites with no problems because of available hook ups. However when we have spent the night minus said hook ups we have experienced no problems. In a previous life I was a boater and the norm there is to carry a bank of anything up to half a dozen batteries for the domestic side.
If wild camping most of the time battery management will be a priority, staying on campsites though and it's not something you need to worry about?

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Will be trying the mh out for a few days before spending too much but until I get it may as well research all scenarios so as not to be doing things in a rush at the last min. I hope to be across that stretch of water before Christmas.:D

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
B2Bs are silly money. I fitted one of these and my leccy mate said it was sending some proper leccy to the leisure batteries.

Broken Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
B2Bs are silly money. I fitted one of these and my leccy mate said it was sending some proper leccy to the leisure batteries.

Broken Link Removed

Agreed. B2Bs are expensive but they do bang some amps into the leisure battery.....unlike the split charge relay you had fitted.

Yes, it will.....But only while the engine battery needs charge....ie just after starting etc.
Once it is charged the alternator output drops to an amp or two so will take hours of driving to top up the leisure battery

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Agreed. B2Bs are expensive but they do bang some amps into the leisure battery.....unlike the split charge relay you had fitted.

Yes, it will.....But only while the engine battery needs charge....ie just after starting etc.
Once it is charged the alternator output drops to an amp or two so will take hours of driving to top up the leisure battery
He put his meter on and it showed 14.4 volts.

and both batteries fully charged on way home. 300 miles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back