LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm thinking about down-sizing to under 6 metres for all the obvious reasons. However I'll still want to live in the MH for 3-4 months or more at a time, so need decent storage. There will only ever be the 2 of us sleeping in the MH. To accommodate the stuff we'll need, & because we don't want to be forever making the bed(s) I think an electric bed is perhaps the way to go.
We've seen the Swift Rio - I like it, Him Indoors doesn't, but in any case it doesn't have enough storage. Also the Adria Compact, this feels crowded and I think we'd soon get fed up with the awkward bed and the too-compact 'kitchen' area - though it has a great boot. Also the Adria Matrix which has less of a boot, though not bad, and feels more spacious because of its electric bed. Like the idea of the 1st edition of the VW Doubleback but I haven't seen one 'in the flesh'.

What under 6-metre MH would people recommend for extended living/ touring, and why?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Not quite under but ours is 6.69m, a chausson flash with 2 single beds that can be made into a king size, reasonably good fuel consumption, Lots of storage. 2 wardrobes, only fault is the heavy half dinette table.

Reactions: CWH

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Have a look at the Hymer 544 and 584, both just under 6 meters and good and roomy for the size. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have a Chausson Flash 510 and love the space in it. The bed is always made up just lower it at night time. We find the bathroom to be brilliant. The kitchen has loads of storage. We do have a storage box on the bike rack at back, this holds all the chairs etc.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks everyone, lots of ideas here - I've made a start at following these up but I guess I'll be checking out Google & YouTube all day tomorrow!

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Hi we have a burstner travel van t570 g fixed bed at the back which is quite high but gives great garage space, the kitchen is compact but we manage ok.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
We looked for a 6 metre van but the ones with electric beds have rear kitchen and bathroom and that seriously compromises storage. We also wanted a spare wheel and it had to be accessible. We thought about adding a rear box to carry stuff but then it wouldn't be a 6 metre van would it. And what about our bikes. So we bought a van with twin beds over a garage. Massive storage takes all our stuff and our bikes and the full spare wheel. Two recliners, two tables, barbecue, extra blankets, winter coats, second compressor fridge, portable water containers, portable waste container, all no problem with space to spare and easy access. No climbover in the night and beds always available for relaxing if one of us doesn't want to watch TV. That's the difference between a 6 metre van and ours at just 6.85 metres. What a difference that 0.85 metres makes.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
This sounds interesting Movinon. What breed is it please?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Some of the vans have electric 12v fridges rather than 3 way, may be something to watch out for.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My vote for a Hymer B584, very roomy ( when table is modified)
We've been in ours for 4 years.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
strictly for panel van fanciers:

a 6 meter panel van I like is the Possl/globecar Relax P2. strictly two berth it has large longitudinal bed, it manages this by doing away with the front sofa. its a van I find interesting as sleep comfort the main criteria i any van we go for.

Broken Link Removed

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
rapido 962.
6.6m and can take a 1000cc motorbike in the garage. large bathroom and shower. galley area is the only gripe, but plenty of space if you know where to look.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've got a 5.99m Chausson Flash S2 which has great internal living space and plenty of storage too.

Broken Link Removed

The (semi) fixed bad is something of a unique design, which works well for us. The rear dinette bench seat drops down on a hinge to provide the foot of the bed. So the bed is left made up all the time, but the bed covers are just folded over when the dinette seat-back is raised during the day. Another advantage of the arrangement is that the rake of the seat-back can be adjusted to any angle for comfort when sitting / relaxing (in the same way the rear squabs of the front seats can be adjusted).

Bathroom is across the whole of the back of the van and doubles as a good dressing area.

But, the van was only produced in 2010 and 2011, so no new ones available. We bought ours in late 2010.

Mike

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I'm thinking about down-sizing to under 6 metres for all the obvious reasons. However I'll still want to live in the MH for 3-4 months or more at a time, so need decent storage.

Hmmmm - I can't help wondering what all the obvious reasons are??? For long terming - you really do need space, and there's nowt you can do in a 6m van that you can't do in a 7 or 8 m van really??? Plus - you'll have all the comfort and space you need.
Do you really want to downsize???

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We have an 8m 4.5 loaded van but recently have thought about going smaller . At a show recently in Bordeaux and saw 350 vans and the only van we would consider is the Chausson 610. Gives a lovely big seating area . Huge cupboard in the bathroom , no bed making each night and a garage area. And a fairly good payload. Many smaller vans have a tiny payload which is a big consideration when away for months rather than a week or two .

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
We have had a Hymer 504 for 5 years, 5.99m long, drop down double over the cab and fixed single over the garage at the rear. Loads of garage space for bikes, spare wheel and all the rest of the stuff I've decided to buy but never use. We removed the table as it just was too big and gave us loads more room. The A class provides lots of front end space, making the <6m length not an issue.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hmmmm - I can't help wondering what all the obvious reasons are??? For long terming - you really do need space, and there's nowt you can do in a 6m van that you can't do in a 7 or 8 m van really??? Plus - you'll have all the comfort and space you need.
Do you really want to downsize???
LOL, try touring Norway in a van above 6m................ only need a BIG wallet:eek:

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
We have the Bailey 540 and love it

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We did but quite a few years ago . Am I missing something ? We took lots of food etc but did not find our trip too expensive .
Sorry Spitfire, I was referring to the cost of ferries and tolls. Generally a van over 6 metres will pay at least THREE times as much as a van under 6m :eek::eek: (in some places 5x)

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks again for all your suggestions. Lots of great ideas from your own experiences.

BreweryDave, thank you for the points you raise. I know it wouldn't be for everybody, and maybe the reasons aren't as obvious as I'd assumed. Things like: I'm not really comfortable driving the longer MH except on the bigger roads where we don't actually want to be; manoeuvring in tight spots can be difficult (I'm sure it would get better with experience, but I don't enjoy it, which after all is the whole point); there are places I want to park where it won't quite fit. With the longer MH we can sit 6 around the table; for me that's wasted space that I don't need. We carry stuff we've never used; wasted space again. I don't want the MH to be a 'home away from home' - I want it to be something completely different. I want minimalism; I don't want 'stuff'.
And, of course, Chockswahay's point about ferries & tolls. I know motorhoming on a tight budget is a skill and an art that we haven't yet got, but this would go a long way to help!

Last edited:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Fair point and well made! Sounds like you are doing the right thing for your needs(y)

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Just goes to prove that choice of motorhome is a very individual thing. There are times when I wish I had a <6 metre van - parking nearer attractions and turning around on the road - and times when I'm grateful I have a larger van, when the weather is poor or my wife gets a migraine and wants to lie down. However, from my experience most people have opted for >6 metre vans which does suggest that a majority of people find they need that extra space too.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have been watching this thread for a while and like Detnor, I was going to suggest a small A-class Hymer. That will give you enough room to spend decent breaks away without being too long. An A-class feels much larger inside than a semi-integrated/low-profile of the same length.
My suggestion would be: Hymer B504 under 6 metres, B514 slightly bigger and a bit over 6 metres, or if you can find one B630 Star-Line 6.41 metres (same layout as B514 but on a Sprinter). Both the last two have a fixed double bed at the back and a larger garage than the B504.
We have a B630 Star-Line and find it a great compromise between size, space and storage.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We love our Chausson Best Of 04 - transverse rise & fall Easybed over large garage, 4 belted seats, uesable kitchen & bathroom, heaps of storage & only 5.99m:) Didn't like the layouts of this years Chausson range at the NEC show but were impressed by the Benimar range now being imported by Marquis in a UK specification: Broken Link Removed
Benimar Mileo 201 is very similiar to ours (although only 2 berth not 4) but the UK spec has improved on it in some ways - online photos don't do it justice as don't show the huge garage with spare wheel in purpose built well (are you listening Chausson?!), door on UK side, better step design up to beds, 1 electric hob & 2 gas, more power points & reversing camera fitted as standard. Don't know if shell specification & build quality is as good as Chausson (10 year warranty deal last year) & on a Fiat not a Ford Chassis like ours (enables 4th bed) but know they sold like hotcakes at the show(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back