Ay up theer from Yorkshire!! (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Well, talk about confused dot com mixed with excitement, arrived at one of those crossroads in life and possibly the last. I've been lurking for some months gleaning information on what seemed a relatively simple decision. Buy a motor home and bugger off abroad on a new adventure. How wrong could I be. "Simples innit" until you start reading all the info available on here, what started out as a bed on wheels became, fixed bed or not, dinette or bench wet system or blown air....you get my drift I'm sure.

The more I read the more difficult the decision became the more I looked at motor homes the more confused I became anyways bit the bullet yesterday and bought a 2013 Swift Bolearo 712sb so can now legitimately claim to be a Funster. I'm sort of in enforced retirement and as I've been to a lot more funerals than weddings in the last couple of years have come to the conclusion that if my savings run out before I officially retire then so be it. Plan is to turn try and get everything sortid before the end of December and then turn right at Calais for winter, (wow! am I really doing this) Don't know any language other than a very poor grasp of English, never been across to mainland Europe and never driven on the opposite side of the road. (Well not intentionally anyways)

Gonna need a lot of help and advise but sure I've come to the right place hope to meet with as many of you peeps as possible on my travels, at least until the money runs out.

PS
Was traveling along the M62 last Wednesday helping a friend out with some deliveries for his company, unpaid of course (cough!!) when I spotted a big yellow smiley on the back of a motorhome as I drew up to it (It was a Burstner Delpine,if that was you Hi!!) I almost beeped and waved........then thought what a daft old bugger I am. LOL

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello :welc:

Enjoy your adventure abroad, there is so much to see and do over there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi & Welcome from the Isle of Wight, Enjoy your forth coming travels and don't worry about too much, life is too short.
Terry FIDGET

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi & welcome......
I'm sure you'll love it, whichever side of the road you end up on(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
:welc: Even though you are from the wrong side of the Pennines :whistle2: :rofl:

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
Thanks for the welcome so far ....six and only 20 mins since I posted up, best just mention my names Les, Wifey is called Sue and the chocolate lab is called A flippin minky.. No No, he's called Jay Jay.
Wifey not at all sure about this but there's no way! she's gonna let me go on my own and spend the hard earned so I hope she grows to like it LOL

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Plan is to turn try and get everything sortid before the end of December and then turn right at Calais for winter

An excellent plan. The only question, Spain with the masses or keep going and Morocco with the masses at a fraction of the cost and better weather.

You may consider fitting a big solar panel to make yourselves more independent especially if you go for Morocco.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ha Ha, Red Flag at bull, looks like I'm gonna enjoy this. where do I find the smilies?
Top left of reply box, second line down is a smiley face. Just click it and all will be revealed Ooooooer Mrs.:D

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Welcome to Fun barsteward. You may want to rethink your forum name, it gets used a lot on here by funsters for want of a the real thing. :)

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
An excellent plan. The only question, Spain with the masses or keep going and Morocco with the masses at a fraction of the cost and better weather.

You may consider fitting a big solar panel to make yourselves more independent especially if you go for Morocco.

Hi Hilldweller, am going to take everything steady and pretty much play it by ear, have read the thread on the Morocco trip and would love to do it but have to walk before I can run especially where Sue is concerned. As I say everything will be very fluid and if it happens it happens.

Don't pick the Swift up until 18th and there is a frightening amount of kit to buy as it has nothing apart from a solar panel and as yet I don't know what the output is. Hope to make it as near self contained as possible subject to finances so will now be starting the "ask silly question thread" LOL

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
Top left of reply box, second line down is a smiley face. Just click it and all will be revealed Ooooooer Mrs.:D

Thanks Badknee, or sho9uld that be Badback coming from Lacashire anall. LOL

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome to Fun, love your introduction, as Hilldweller says Solar Panel with good output the way to go, sounds like some adventures ahead, keep posting :welc:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thanks Badknee, or sho9uld that be Badback coming from Lacashire anall. LOL

No luvvie it's my knee. Don't change your name, it fits. :whistle2: :reel:

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
Welcome to Fun barsteward. You may want to rethink your forum name, it gets used a lot on here by funsters for want of a the real thing. :)

I love the name LOL has served me well for a good number of years on another forum (hasn't it John??) and I just love it when people take the michael I must however be much more careful about the way I post on here as it is much more family orientated.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
there is a frightening amount of kit to buy as it has nothing apart from a solar panel

Well the solar is a bonus.

Don't confuse "I want to buy" with "I need". We've all done it and you notice a "bring and buy" meet where we all get rid of the junk we have accumulated.

Pots, pans, bottle opener, hook up cable, high viz, triangle. KISS.

The bottle opener is optional, in Spain FUNsters use milk carton wine.

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
Hello and welcome
Les & Sue

:welc:

Mel & Lieve
Thank you,

Belguim eh! another treat I've got to look forward to, not as much as me chochy Lab though, he just loves Belgian chocolates he does.

Last edited:
OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
Well the solar is a bonus.

Don't confuse "I want to buy" with "I need".

The bottle opener is optional, in Spain FUNsters use milk carton wine.

That'll be the bottle opener crossed of me list then, LOL

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hello and welcome, I'm guessing you spotted Just Looking (y)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello from another couple of tykes . Enjoy your new van.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Agree 100% with hilldweller - I'd try a few nights and make a list of what you really need, otherwise you'll end up like us with a garage full of stuff what we thought we couldn't do without:blush::LOL:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Agree 100% with hilldweller - I'd try a few nights and make a list of what you really need, otherwise you'll end up like us with a garage full of stuff what we thought we couldn't do without:blush::LOL:

And if you do have a few nights away first.
You will still end up with a garage full of stuff you dont need.
But it will take longer:)

Mel

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
Welcome,