LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
After talking to my Norwegian pal this morning who asked if I was still going up to Norway, he tells me of a better route than I have used in the past. Have any funsters heard of Color line. They run from Hirtshals in Denmark to Larvic in Norway. I did a check and sure enough it does seem cheap at 140 Euros one way in June for a high 7 metre long van. Now after checking the price of the Harwich, Hook of Holland ferry, it does seem doable. Fishing in the summer (y).

Bounty Hunter

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1984
Hi Snowbird
Have only just joined so this is first post. We used Colorline last year travelling from Hirtshalls to Larvik and it was excellent with no problems. You can stay overnight at Hirtshalls just head for the railway station and you will see the signs.
Also you can travel from Immingham to Brevik, 32 klms south of Larvik, using DFDS. Got a quote today for 8.8m van at a cost of £741 one way and takes 25 hours. Here is email address imm-norbookings@dfds.com
Hope this helps.

John

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks for that, the Immingham-Brevik unfortunately is a no goer for me as I have to pick up a passenger in Hamburg on route. Am seriously looking at the Hirtshals-Larvik though as I have a friend 60 kms north of Larvik that I will visit before travelling up through Sweden and crossing into Norway above the circle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We used Fjord lines this summer to cross for Norway (can't remember town but same kind of area as you mention) we just booked It the night before and it was around €120 one way.
On the way from Germany to Sweden we used color line and where very pleased with the ship, it had hot tubs and sauna free of charge certainly helped pass the time.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
did hirtshall to Kristiansand last year in springtime ,and think that was with colorline, and was around £200 or so return... I hope im remembering that correctly.... and stayed at a great site close to the port of hirtshall called something like tanninsby camping...
ta andy

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Fjord line go from Hirtshals to Kristiansand from €113 for a van your size with two pax on board in June next year. If you are going fishing on the West coast it might save a lotta miles:)

We took the ferry from Stavanger to Hirtshals June last for tow of us in our 6m van for £90 (y) How cheap was that(y) (It was a last minute booking at a VERY special price:D

Ahh............Cod fishing from the pier........happy days indeed:D:D

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Fjord line go from Hirtshals to Kristiansand from €113 for a van your size with two pax on board in June next year. If you are going fishing on the West coast it might save a lotta miles:)

We took the ferry from Stavanger to Hirtshals June last for tow of us in our 6m van for £90 (y) How cheap was that(y) (It was a last minute booking at a VERY special price:D

Ahh............Cod fishing from the pier........happy days indeed:D:D
I have used the Kristiansand ferry in the past, but its to far south for where am going and if I remember right thats a very expensive toll road going back up to Larvik. my mate lives north of Larvik so I will call there and have a few days before travelling up via Sweden.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Ahh, I see now. Also, it was partly YOUR fault I went to Norway in the first place! (thank you(y))

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Ahh, I see now. Also, it was partly YOUR fault I went to Norway in the first place! (thank you(y))
Glad you enjoyed it. I have not been for several years now, but herself has never been and she is forcing my hand ;)

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Unfortunately I lost many of my photos when my old laptop crashed but there are a few here.
100_0294.JPG
100_0289.JPG
100_0290.JPG
100_0338.JPG

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Although I love the see fishing up there, the rivers are stocked full of trout. They dont come any fresher than this. Just pull over into a layby and fish for an hour, then light the barby. The second photo is of my little alloy Linder boat that I used to fish the fjords with. Have had to tow some big halibut and cod back to shore with that, as they were too heavy to get on board.
summer with the stutvoets 007.jpg
S6000235.JPG

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I have only been on a cruise to Norway, it certainly was beautiful. We saw lots of campers there and we intend to do it sometime. The sites on the Fjords are pretty, and not too badly priced considering every thing in Norway is expensive.
Phil

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
No need for sites in Norway, they have a right to roam and wild camping is excepted everywhere. The only time I use a site is here, as I use it as a base for fishing and using there filleting room for filleting and freezing fish before returning.
http://www.flakstadvaag-camp.no/eng_index.html

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
No need for sites in Norway, they have a right to roam and wild camping is excepted everywhere. The only time I use a site is here, as I use it as a base for fishing and using there filleting room for filleting and freezing fish before returning.
http://www.flakstadvaag-camp.no/eng_index.html

What did you do about emptying loo and filling you water?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
All these direct links from the UK falling by the wayside are a real disappointment. We were there for 5 weeks in 1978 with a Cortina Estate and a trailer tent and crossed to Goteborg with DFDS before touring up the coast to Oslo and across to the coast at Andalsnes and back south via Bergen. The Flam railway was awesome as was the climb over a mountain in a snowstorm where a driverless car passed us in the gloom and we heard a shout of "Kaput" from somewhere as it disappeared.

Back in '95 with a caravan and friends with a trailer tent via Esbjerg and we did a similar route apart from getting hopelessly lost round Oslo where we went through the same toll three times, wonderful country.

Twenty years on it seems time to go again before it's too late.

Last edited:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
The first Cod I ever caught is in the photo here....
http://wolfydoesscandawegia.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/25-may-e36-holm-to-horn.html
I should add that I had only ever caught a couple of Mackerel before, we are complete beginners!

Used to stay at a Fjord side cabin belonging to a mates parents in law outside Bergen. Catching Cod on a spoon was the way. Ended up with boiled cod, cod pie, fried cod, baked cod, slow roasted cod.....................you get my drift. And as you say in #11 what a beautiful country and how we miss it too!

ArcticKris

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
North Norway
Funster No
MH
Kabe Travel Master i910 Q
Exp
Since 1990
Used to stay at a Fjord side cabin belonging to a mates parents in law outside Bergen. Catching Cod on a spoon was the way. Ended up with boiled cod, cod pie, fried cod, baked cod, slow roasted cod.....................you get my drift. And as you say in #11 what a beautiful country and how we miss it too!

Ufda,Fjære fisk :sick:

ArcticKris

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
North Norway
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1990
And I understood too, Kris!:)

hahaha it was a joke from me,where i live we dont go fishing from the pier,beach,or close to the shore,its just the way we were bought up,cod and makeral will eat anything,if you get my point,i go fishing a lot with the kids,we take a boat out about 4/5 kms,

Kris

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Spoons are not much good up there. I use a stainless steel pirk about 6 inches long with 3 huge hooks on the end. Am not quite sure how much it weighs, but possibly about a pound or more. You need something pretty heavy to take the line down at those depths.

ArcticKris

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
North Norway
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1990
Kris question for you what fjord was the tirpitz sunk at and can you get there bye road. If you know
Hi,It was sunk in the fjord at Kåfjord,10 mins South of Alta on the E6,the actual fjord is called Kåfjorden,drive the old road in Kåfjord,dont drive over the new bridge,here is the museum web site,http://tirpitz-museum.no/
Kris

Last edited:

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
Reading these posts where people have travelled far and wide is really interesting, my bucket list of places to go to is getting longer and longer. Hopefully will be buying a MH within the next 6 months !

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Talking Tirpitz, I remember watching a documentary on the sinking with a follow up telling the ship was broken up eventually by a German/Norwegian team and bits are still apparently being sold off. So I assume there's nothing to see apart from in the museum?

Edit: Note to self: read the Museum link.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back