Rapido A class headlights (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Its very rare that I drive the MH at night, as usually I try to be pitched by mid afternoon especially on an aire.
Came back from France in September at night and was disgusted at how feeble the headlights were. Arriving at my storage place and transferring to the toad, the difference was blinding.

Anyone else found these headlights to be dim. They are round things made by Hella, two dipped beam and two main beam.

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
I have similar and find they are very much up to the job. Those Hella 90mm units area quality item and widely used on buses, coaches and many more vehicles Broken Link Removed.
Perhaps your are in need of adjustment :unsure:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Perhaps your are in need of adjustment :unsure:

Even on the highest setting ours shine about ten feet in front of us, even on main beam they are only where dipped should be, deffo need to get them fettled.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Even on the highest setting ours shine about ten feet in front of us, even on main beam they are only where dipped should be, deffo need to get them fettled.
If they are separate main / dip units the (electrical) height adjustment only affects dip. You'll need to set the mains where you want them using only the adjusters on the back of the main beam units.

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
funnily enough i have just slapped in a couple of hid dip bulbs and ballasts................the difference is night and day.........pun intended.
we have a couple of buses at work with the hella units in and they are both p!ss poor in the dark.
i think they weren't a particularly good light unit, even the best firms have an off day.

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I may be wrong, but I thought HID lights were only legal with self-levelling headlights. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
it contravenes the C & U** regulations as you need e typing, self levelling (you have manual levelling already) and washers, but judging by the thousands of cars i see every day that have hids fitted to non projector lights scaterring ambient light all over the place.............i don't think it's a priority for the VOSA chappies.
and would you rather not be able to see where you're going, or live a little dangerously and fit some decent lights to your wagon

**use...........can't seem to get it to say what i want!!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If they are separate main / dip units the (electrical) height adjustment only affects dip. You'll need to set the mains where you want them using only the adjusters on the back of the main beam units.
Yes Tony, the mains are fine just the dips need upping as they are too low at the moment.

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As my MH is not kept at home, could anyone tell me which bulb they take. I think its an H7 but would like confirmation.

In order to be legal and hopefully a bit brighter I shall try a couple of new Xenon halogen bulbs before going rash. The current bulbs are 7 years old and may be discoloured, especially as they are usually only used for short periods so they may not be hot enough for the halogen cycle to operate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back