Another Aldi Bargain (1 Viewer)

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Just bought a couple of microfiber large towels from Aldi for the van. They are really light and take up little room, also dry so easily! Been trying them out at home, the drying sensation is ...... well different, but they really do the job well. £9.99, only disadvantage white or pink, hubby wasn't keen on the pink! If your looking to keep weight down perfect! Now all we need is the new van....March!!!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, we bought a pair a couple of years ago from Aldi. As you say, they do feel 'different' to use. But in addition to the weight saving, they also dry VERY quickly, which is the real bonus for us.

Mike

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
They are good, I use the cleaning cloths made out of the same stuff, around the house and MH . We have a couple of larger towels . But if I'm drying my wet body( not hands) the microfibre sets my teeth on edge. I don't know why.

OP
OP
Wicketter
May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Definitely an acquired taste but find I'm getting used to it!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We bought a couple of single towels a while ago, for when we are away on the bike, storage being at a premium, however, I found that they just seem to soak up water, and somehow I didn't feel 'dry' after using mine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Just a thought but there was an NEC thread on here recently about the Doggie Bag dryers and the price. Don't quote me, oh go on then, but scotjimland said he could make one for peanuts but the material we saw and felt at the show didn't feel the same as the microfibre that we can buy. After a very dirty walk with the dog over the weekend and returning to the workshop where the towbar was being fitted I'm beginning to think there are occasions where they'd be useful. Any thoughts?

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we use them to dry the thing my wife calls a dog. works well and yes they dry out quickly. and the pom.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Just a thought but there was an NEC thread on here recently about the Doggie Bag dryers and the price. Don't quote me, oh go on then, but scotjimland said he could make one for peanuts but the material we saw and felt at the show didn't feel the same as the microfibre that we can buy. After a very dirty walk with the dog over the weekend and returning to the workshop where the towbar was being fitted I'm beginning to think there are occasions where they'd be useful. Any thoughts?
Here you go!!

Interested to know if anyone has a "Doggy Bag"one of those bags that cleans your mucky dog when you put it in, the blurb says:- "Wet mucky dog goes in, dry clean dog comes out! Doggy Bag dries and cleans your dog in minutes, and contains the mess. Spotless motorhomes. No more wet stinky towels." Anybody got one? Stand 10.36
No, I don't have one, but as we have two med sized dogs had a look at them and certainly a good idea for the van .. but at £69 for what is basically a micro-fibre towel bag with a zip.. no thanks.. I could run one up on the sewing machine for under £20 using new towel, or old towel for next to nothing... I would use velcro in place of a zip.. less chance of it snagging on the pooches hair.

http://www.microfibrestore.co.uk/petcare.html

My blog.. Old Singer Sewing Machines

“When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.”

“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.”
Robert M. Pirsig... Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Aires, CLs and Sites Suitable for Large Motorhomes.
Broken Link Removed, Oct 15, 2014Broken Link Removed
#16Broken Link RemovedMulti-QuoteQuote

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Thank you dabhand, as I thought it's not quite the same material, at least that's what the MF Store claim:
"We don’t sell any of the treated yarns that are out on the market (which don’t last!), or 100% polyester masquerading as microfibre (which doesn’t absorb!). We sell the good stuff. We put our money where our mouth is, and that is why you can feel safe buying from us."

Even a large towel is £30 o_O so might be worth trying the Aldo job at a tenner. Mind you with a choice of pink or white it's a good job the dog is a bitch. :)

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
We bought one at the show, it was dear but worth it. The material isn't normal microfibre.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
For the last 6 months we've been using microfibre sports towels from Lidl - seeBroken Link Removed. Much better and cheaper than the ones at shows.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Dont use conditioner when you wash your MF towels it buggers them up

Non Bio powder is best :)

Eyeinthesky

Free Member
Sep 9, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
The doggy bag is expensive but works well...our Springer enjoys it and comes out as dry as you could expect. The bag dries out quickly and then you can shake out the dust/dirt....simples.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I personally can't stand microfibre towels, but I do use a microfibre mitt to dry myself off then a small hand towel just to finish off as I too never feel properly dry just with the microfibre mitt. The mitt can be hung anywhere to dry which it does quickly and the hand towel again doesn't take up a lot of space whilst drying.

As for microfibre towels, the more cotton content the better they will be at absorbing the water - like the dirt grabber mats you can get, the more expensive ones are made of cotton twill, whereas the cheap ones are mostly (if not completely) man-made fibres and just don't work.

One word of warning ... don't EVER put let your microfibre go onto the ground if there is any leaf debris, twigs etc lying around as the towel acts like a massive piece of 'hook' Velcro so that everything sticks to it and you cannot get it off - I speak form experience ... when one of ours fell off the motorhome mirror onto the tarmac at an aire ... I never did managed to get all the bits out!!!

Oh, another use for microfibre towels - if you've done some hand washing, after wringing out the stuff, roll it inside the towel - it's amazing how much liquid the towel absorbs from the washing and both then dry a lot quicker.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Dont use conditioner when you wash your MF towels it buggers them up

Non Bio powder is best :)
Agreed - you shouldn't really use conditioner with any towels, or towelling dressing gowns as the conditioner coats the fibres and prevents them from absorbing liquid properly.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Agreed - you shouldn't really use conditioner with any towels, or towelling dressing gowns as the conditioner coats the fibres and prevents them from absorbing liquid properly.
Beat me to it.
Oh, another use for microfibre towels - if you've done some hand washing, after wringing out the stuff, roll it inside the towel - it's amazing how much liquid the towel absorbs from the washing and both then dry a lot quicker.
Works with conventional terry towels as well.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Beat me to it.

Works with conventional terry towels as well.
Yup, I've done it since I was a kid, but we were talking about microfibre ones :)... things in motorhomes have to earn their keep and do at least 2 things! :D

Reactions: GJH

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Put either of my dogs in a bag and within seconds you have a pile of fabric scraps.
Accidently shut the big one in a room and you come home to a hole where the door used to be.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Decathlon do microfibre towels that are cheaper than this, work well and come in a wider range of colours. We have several.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back