Co-drivers Who Don't/Won't/Not Allowed To Drive.... (1 Viewer)

Steveth

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Wherever We Are Parked
Funster No
MH
Swift Esprit462 (Freddie)
Exp
Since 2014
Please think about the emergency situation.

We have just had to return from Spain in those circumstances, arrived yesterday, flying was not an option. I could not drive for long so Dolly did almost all the 1300 miles. Fortunately she loves driving Freddie but what about if you find yourselves in a similar situation?

For those who don't/won't or who are not allowed to drive please reconsider. Driving an unfamiliar vehicle in an emergency, is a very stressful situation, so you know it makes sense to get behind the wheel, just in case.

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
Bit diffacult for us, wife she would like to drive but does not have a full liccence, not sure if she is able to drive motorhome, even with me beside her.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
It certainly does makes sense, even if you do have recovery insurance. We both drive ours, so not an issue for us….

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Bit diffacult for us, wife she would like to drive but does not have a full liccence, not sure if she is able to drive motorhome, even with me beside her.
Under 3500kg she is.

Providing insured and L plates are displayed

Only applies to the UK though as all UK drivers must hold a full licence outside the UK.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
My wife does not drive. So what do you suggest - divorce? I recall this being kicked around a group of motorhomers on a rally elsewhere. The net result, even after some discussion, was that those that could, did, and those that couldn't, didn't. No change there at all.

What you mean is that an accompanying family member who holds the appropriate license should be competent to drive the motorhome if necessary, even if they normally don't. Fair enough if possible but if it's not then attention should be paid to the level of recovery insurance. Aware of the problem, I have the Caravan Club full continental recovery insurance because it includes chauffeured recovery.

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
It could work bill I have done it with the business. I had a driver involved in a fatel in Spain a little suzuki van hit him head on. The van was in bedded where the engine was killed him out right. Once all the paper work had been done I arranged for him to be picked up as he couldn't fly as my driver was so shaken up.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Check your recovery insurance very carefully. Many have a recovery exclusion if there is another suitably licensed driver in the vehicle. They are expected to drive the vehicle home.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Woman is not licensed to drive our van, but god forbid we do have a real emergency we do have a contingency plan

Ring up number one son who would fly out and drive the rig home.. We both have each others vans insured for both of us as a just in case thing

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Check your recovery insurance very carefully. Many have a recovery exclusion if there is another suitably licensed driver in the vehicle. They are expected to drive the vehicle home.

That is the reason we had my wife taken off the insurance.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I was very careful with this, OH doesn't have C1, in fact only has Auto car licence. Our recovery insurance (not sure if I am allowed to say company name so I won't) covers supplying a driver to recover the vehicle if I am incapacitated.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I was very careful with this, OH doesn't have C1, in fact only has Auto car licence. Our recovery insurance (not sure if I am allowed to say company name so I won't) covers supplying a driver to recover the vehicle if I am incapacitated.

Yep! Me too they supply a driver!

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Caravan Club continental cover states "....no qualified or competent driver remaining". Recovery is by club members who have volunteered for this duty. I suspect this will all hinge on their undisclosed definition of "competent", but the use of club members suggests that the definition will be lenient. Removing my wife from the vehicle insurance is, on balance, probably a good idea, but the premium may go up.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
The flip side is.....your insurance and breakdown cover will usually be cheaper to reflect the fact that there is another driver insured and available, to reduce the need for a long recovery of the MH. Food for thought.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I dont think a scheme is necessary...

A few xmas`es ago we were in Spain with the RV/Trailer & a Toad.. and had to get home straight away.. We drove home in the toad, as we could not get a flight with 3 seat`s out of Spain anywhere..... we could get one from this airport and one from that etc, which was no good..

When we got back, we had to decide whether to go back/stay or when and if we would get back...

I had about five PM`s from this and RVOC site to say if we need help certain members would fly to Alicante and collect the RV & Trailer and bring it home..

I am sure and know for a fact these were genuine offers and not just keyboard warriors trying to make out to be hero`s... Due to the fact these were sent by PM and no one could or would see who they were...

They were on top of the offers we had on open forum...

So with the caring friendly membership we have today.. I think anyone would be inundated with offers of help if needed.. (y)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Have delivered / recovered boats under same circumstances ,one of the best Hondarribia back to Plymouth great trip across a supprisingly calm Biscay .

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
As Grumps 147 and others have said, (and many don't realise) if there's another qualified driver, they are expected to repatriate the vehicle. For that reason, I never put my wife on the insurance in the first place. It means a very slight increase in the premium, but well worth the 'chauffeured service' home. Doesn't have to be a major happening either (like a Heart Attack or Stroke) just a simple tumble with a resultant fractured arm or ankle would cause a big problem.

I don't want to sound unkind, but despite being on my car insurance for years, my wife won't even drive my Kuga "because it's too big!". Christ knows what would happen if I let her loose with the MH :eek: Demolition Derby springs to mind and the handbrake is on the right of the driver's seat!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I don't want to sound unkind, but despite being on my car insurance for years, my wife won't even drive my Kuga "because it's too big!". Christ knows what would happen if I let her loose with the MH :eek: Demolition Derby springs to mind and the handbrake is on the [you]right[/you] of the driver's seat!

I think you should treat her to a driving day in the motorhome for Christmas. There is a member who teaches HGV driving and does these days - I haven't been on one but am told they are great fun and very educational. I'm trying to get the drake to buy me a day driving HGVs round a test track - daft but I've always wanted to drive a massive truck. Just the once would be enough to cross it off the bucket list.

I'm not sure what difference it makes which side the handbrake is - the motorhome is so different to the car that I just remember it's on the right and that the gear stick is on the dash! By the time you have driven a couple of miles it is all very natural and you wonder why you made so much fuss.

Oct 5, 2014
peterborough
Funster No
MH
micro van
Exp
We down-sized, so that I could drive, and more importantly, park . It also means that I can go away with a friend or on my own, a more flexible use of an expensive item.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I thought I was stuck at the Shrewsbury Show couple of years back. I tripped out of one of the show vans, thought my ankle was broken.
Had visions of daughter and SIL having to drive up, me travel back in car with daughter leaving Benni at the mercy of SIL. Thankfully it was just wrenched tendons and I managed to drive a few days later.

It is always a concern, especially when you're alone.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

Thanks for that(y), my wife wouldn't drive even if I paid her to have her hair done for the rest of her life, but I have her on the insurance because she has a better history, I will have her off it next time around though:sneaky:

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Yes Puddleduck, I've thought of a course for a pressie, (no seriously) but it would be wasted as she would never use the skills and has no interest in driving the MH.

The handbrake being on the right? I meant I wouldn't be able to reach across and yank it on in time!!! :D

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
My wife would never drive our RV, but she would give constant advice to any one who would. I suppose ear defenders could be provided.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
+1 for removing partner from insurance unless s/he is ready, willing and able to drive the 'van back from wherever you may wish to take it. Mrs E took ours out a few times, but nothing was ever going to make it a pleasurable experience for her. The more so if it meant driving back from abroad in a potentially distressed emotional state as there would have to have been an emergency for the need to have arisen in the first place. After looking at the travel insurance conditions [we are with Britannia Rescue, which I'd recommend] I removed her from the insurance policy. Worth it for peace of mind I feel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back