Road fund licence for newly purchased vehicle (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
As most will know, the system changed on 1st October 2014. Having just done so myself and in the absence of sufficient information, I was unclear how to tax the vehicle at the time of purchase - particularly as it was a private purchase.

It is quite straightforward however. As long as insurance is in place and a current MOT is in force, you can tax a vehicle 24/7 either by phone or on the internet using the 12 digit reference shown on the V5C/2 tear off section of the registration document. You can also do it at a post office which issues roadtax (not all of them do nowadays - all they do is scan the V5C - no application forms for registration documents etc etc as previously.

The web address is: www.gov.uk/vehicletax

The telephone number is 0300 123 4321 (Cost from a landline between 2p and 10p - from a mobile 10p to 40p)

The vendor will automatically receive a refund of any unused tax.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I bought, insured and taxed a car in the UK while in Portugal last month - but that's a different story, but it shows how easy things are now. No more queuing in the Post Office although I guess small village post offices lose business as a result and they are pretty shaky financially these day already.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As most will know, the system changed on 1st October 2014. Having just done so myself and in the absence of sufficient information, I was unclear how to tax the vehicle at the time of purchase - particularly as it was a private purchase.

It is quite straightforward however. As long as insurance is in place and a current MOT is in force, you can tax a vehicle 24/7 either by phone or on the internet using the 12 digit reference shown on the V5C/2 tear off section of the registration document. You can also do it at a post office which issues roadtax (not all of them do nowadays - all they do is scan the V5C - no application forms for registration documents etc etc as previously.

The telephone number is 0300 123 4321 (Cost from a landline between 2p and 10p - from a mobile 10p to 40p)

Is a check still made for valid insurance? I only ask because the only problem with the new system that I could foresee was how quickly the insurance company updates the MID. I was worried that if one travelled to purchase a vehicle, agreed the purchase on arrival, then made a phone call to insure it, would it be possible to purchase VED immediately?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Al1

Free Member
Jul 20, 2008
Funster No
Would the existing tax not still be on the system, until you change-over? That would give you a little time for the insurance to show up?
Al

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Good info Martin, thank you!(y)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I bought, insured and taxed a car in the UK while in Portugal last month - but that's a different story, but it shows how easy things are now. No more queuing in the Post Office although I guess small village post offices lose business as a result and they are pretty shaky financially these day already.

To extract tax from us... :cautious: (y)

OP
OP
martin1485
Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Is a check still made for valid insurance? I only ask because the only problem with the new system that I could foresee was how quickly the insurance company updates the MID. I was worried that if one travelled to purchase a vehicle, agreed the purchase on arrival, then made a phone call to insure it, would it be possible to purchase VED immediately?

I am insured with Comfort. I called them as I was about to drive the vehicle and got it covered. I drove home as I assumed that I would not be picked up on ANPR cameras as it was also taxed by the vendor. I taxed it 48 hours later and had no problems so they must have updated MID.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was wondering if to avouid giving the government a free months tax do you deal at thre end of the month and old owner SORNs it and get a full refund foe the next month. You wait til the next day/ month and then tax it from then on you do not pay for the last/ lost month and the seller does not lose the next month?????????????? might work and then cause bottlenecks when Joe Public cottons on, with all the transaction going on at the month end

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just use the system . dont let it use you .

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I am insured with Comfort. I called them as I was about to drive the vehicle and got it covered. I drove home as I assumed that I would not be picked up on ANPR cameras as it was also taxed by the vendor. I taxed it 48 hours later and had no problems so they must have updated MID.
Good point. I assumed that since a vehicle can't be sold with VED in place then obtaining such as soon as the vehicle was purchased could be a problem - but you're correct: the system can't see the change of owner until the V5 is received. So there's a brief period of grace to get the vehicle home as long as it's taxed when it's collected.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Being a Postmaster that used to check for valid insurance on car tax i find it strange that in the final six months of checking docs to 1st Oct that the computer system did not refuse any applications for incorrect insurance but before this when manual it would be at least once a day .
Its now quite easy and cheap to insure a CAR but is the person driving it legally able to do so.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As they know who has insurance and mot online and have anpr cameras to check why bother with endless different car tax bands if they stuck 2p a litre on would make more money and encourage buying of more fuel efficient vehicles........perhaps too radical

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I thought they did this as our fuel is dearer that elsewhere and we still pay the road tax, a double whammy in fact.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Good point. I assumed that since a vehicle can't be sold with VED in place t
Sorry I am being a bit thick here (okay I know...... not just today) but do you mean you can't sell a vehicle without either the VED or SORN in place? 'cos if it has to have VED rather than SORN that means problems if you decide to scrap a vehicle after SORNing it. I'm a duck of very little brain I'm afraid......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back