eBike insurance for Spain (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
eBike Insurance in Spain. I have just received an email from an Hymer Club member regarding Police checks for insurance on eBikes. Worryingly the Spanish Police have started to fine people if they do not have insurance or identity documents for their electric bikes. The fine for no insurance is €1500 and €500 for no identity document. Whilst they did have insurance cover he had no identity documents. He subsequently obtained a Certificate of Conformity from the bike supplier which he understands is sufficient for the police. Apparently new bikes have the necessary details on a sticker/plate on the frame.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
eBike Insurance in Spain. I have just received an email from an Hymer Club member regarding Police checks for insurance on eBikes. Worryingly the Spanish Police have started to fine people if they do not have insurance or identity documents for their electric bikes. The fine for no insurance is €1500 and €500 for no identity document. Whilst they did have insurance cover he had no identity documents. He subsequently obtained a Certificate of Conformity from the bike supplier which he understands is sufficient for the police. Apparently new bikes have the necessary details on a sticker/plate on the frame.
Hi
We have seen this on an other site we have two ebikes so will look into it.
Many Thanks Peter

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
We have seen this on an other site we have two ebikes so will look into it.
Many Thanks Peter

Hi
I phoned A S Bikes from whom we purchased them from, they said they did not know about a certificate of conformity, but have had calls re the Spanish Police etc, I then phoned my Home Insurance Co who I have the bikes Insured with they confirmed we have public liability on the bikes home and abroard, a bit more sure of things now re the Insurance if not the conformity issue. Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
We couldn't get any insurance for our bikes before we left UK so they are not insured. We have a broker in the family and she couldn't find anyone who would insure the bikes for longer than 90 days in a year. Household contents insurer laughed! Who are people with?

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We couldn't get any insurance for our bikes before we left UK so they are not insured. We have a broker in the family and she couldn't find anyone who would insure the bikes for longer than 90 days in a year. Household contents insurer laughed! Who are people with?

Hi
I Insured with Royal Sun Alliance through a broker (Central Bespoke now part of the Marsh group) 2 x bikes £600 each broker confirmed this morning public liability as per policy document, I am not sure how many days covered for at a time but it's what we are happy with, I remember years ago when I was in Insurance one of my policy holders son ran in the back of a car on his bike and the household policy covered the car repairs.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
we need some clarity here, but don't worry folks your not alone as many don't seem to understand the distinctions.

IF your e bike has NO EC label confirming conformity with the EPAC regulations

http://www.bike-eu.com/Laws-Regulat...ocument-for-e-Bikes-Now-Available-BIK003376W/

you need either a COC

OR

insurance as its deemed a low power moped

please dont get confused..we are not talking about household or theft insurance OR third party insurance....BUT full vehicle insurance as without evidence to the contrary its deemed a low powered moped

I may well be wrong but think not.....

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
I think my bikes are made in China, I have contacted AS Bikes who said they new nothing about C O C,s, so what is the best Insurance Co to contact for cover ? if I need to go down that route. Pete

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I guess you must be aware of buying goods that are not certified, particularly electrical. Maybe worth talking to trading standards/citizens direct to clarify the situation.

but if neither a CE mark or a COC I would think long and hard about using in Spain or in Europe for that matter, if anything unfortunate happened the consequences could be expensive

this might help explain re approval:
Broken Link Removed

something else:
http://www.cyclingweekly.cc/forum/tech-312/next-bike-purchase-154603?page=4

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Don't know about Spain in particular but here in Ireland and I think its the general rule throughout the EU, if the bike can self propel, that is it will go without the rider pedalling, it needs road tax and insurance and whatever other documentation a 'vehicle' needs as it's considered a 'mechanically propelled vehicle'.
However, if it is a 'Pedalec' the type which only adds to the riders pedalling effort it is threaded as a regular bicycle as it is incapable of self mechanical repulsion.

In legal EU speak this is it:
Within the EU the following points are the main legal requirements of an electrically assisted bicycle:
  • The bike (including the battery) must not weigh more than 40KG in total
  • The motor must not have a continuous motor rating of more than 250W (200W in the UK) output
  • Power assisted speed must not exceed 25Kmph (15mph)
  • The motor must stop when you stop pedalling
  • The bike must have fully functioning pedals
  • Riders must be 14 years old or more to ride the bike legally on the road
According to European law, electric bikes that use the pedal assist method are classified as bicycles, not mechanically propelled vehicles.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Correct Jean-Luc. but a lot here in the UK ride cheap chinese bikes sold at shows and on ebay (with independent throttles) most bought on a whim, that are not EU compliant...that we are now all aware (I hope) carry risks if using abroad.....

Last edited:

klaus Knaus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Has anyone actually fallen foul of these rulings in Europe (specifically Spain) or is this a "someone said that someone said that someone knew someone......." Scenario?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Perhaps someone on one of the cycling forums will know. I did a quick google search but found nothing. Lots about helmets (and lack of) but nothing about electric bikes.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have placed a post on the U shaped lounge with guidance received from DoT and the Camping and Caravanning Club that may help. (Too long to repeat here).

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
We are getting two bikes next week and they are pedal asisted and they will also run by throttle only so were dose that put mine.......lol.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Makes me laugh all this spain getting so safety conscious. This is the country where you see more road accidents in a week than a year or two at home. And then when you go up the mountain roads, there are old car shells littered about that never made it

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We are getting two bikes next week and they are pedal asisted and they will also run by throttle only so were dose that put mine.......lol.
Ours are the same. I have asked for clarification but would suggest that you get a certificate of conformity and if using outside the UK disable the open throttle with a self tapping screw as already suggested.

klaus Knaus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Well we shall use our (throttle equipped) ebikes in Spain after Christmas and see what happens - we do have third party liability insurance however.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Cheers puddle duck . Got the bike supplyer to do me the paperwork just in cace we go to Spain and the throttle will just disconnect.so happy days ...lol
Ps and caravan gard ins are offering bike ins for 10p a day extra. So I will look in to that one .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back