Last minute decision to go to France (1 Viewer)

plumbomb

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013
We've been in France since early Friday & traveled south, this is only our second time here. We've stopped at several aires up to now just stop a night then move on, met some really nice people to. It has now occurred to me how were RIPPED OFF back home were on a aire costing € 7.40 for 24 hours inc Electric & water ( this is the most expensive one up to now) it's on the edge of a large lake, water sports,boats, plus more if we were at home it'd cost a fortune just park a car then a fortune to get in. We will not be spending holidays back home just long weekends, it's just as cheap to travel from Chesterfield to France and not get ripped off. Rant over

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We've been in France since early Friday & traveled south, this is only our second time here. We've stopped at several aires up to now just stop a night then move on, met some really nice people to. It has now occurred to me how were RIPPED OFF back home were on a aire costing € 7.40 for 24 hours inc Electric & water ( this is the most expensive one up to now) it's on the edge of a large lake, water sports,boats, plus more if we were at home it'd cost a fortune just park a car then a fortune to get in. We will not be spending holidays back home just long weekends, it's just as cheap to travel from Chesterfield to France and not get ripped off. Rant over

Nice rant and comprehensively seconded(y)(y)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
And thirded. We had a lovely holiday in France in June, it's spoiled the uk for us now.

Since when did the uk become expensive, full of rules and everything designed to make life harder?! What's that about?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
And thirded. We had a lovely holiday in France in June, it's spoiled the uk for us now.

Since when did the uk become expensive, full of rules and everything designed to make life harder?! What's that about?

Mousy , Ever since Britain became the 'Gold Coast' to the multinationals in the eighties.(n) There are more examples of rip off than anyone here could shake a stick at!

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Agree with your comments on France. We are seasoned traveller's there and are always frustrated by the difference in UK. We would like to tour more of our own country, but find it difficult to justify the extra cost and of course adverse attitude towards vans - Im sure we must all have three sixes on the roof.

Keith

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm not sure you can make a direct comparison with the UK. France is a huge country with about the same population as the UK, roughly speaking.

It's social and labour policies have created a lot of well off retirees, some on full pay apparently and this in turn has created a huge population floating around in motorhomes. Villages and towns realised they could attract this population of snowbirds if they offered free or cut rate parking. Hence the plethora of aires in France.

The position in UK is not the same. Add the historic problems with travellers and hippies and you can see how the mindset here differs from France.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We often think of travelling in the UK, then panic..... where are we going to stay? if its a campsite we will probably have to search around for a decent one and book a night, and if its a Britstop...., well there will be a pub, so thats not a problem.
The real problem is that there can be little spontaneity in travelling around the UK and that is what keeps us going across the channel.
We went to Wales a couple of weeks ago and stayed on a C&CC listed site. £18 a night! :Eeek: ( It was nice site with EHU and a toilet / shower block although I won't be reviewing the toilets.......) but it was still very expensive, to us.
We have stayed in France for 3 weeks for less than that.
We are going again next week, probably for a month and most nights won't cost us a penny or cause us any stress trying to find somewhere to stay.
Allan

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Seconded again, I'm afraid iv no interest in going anywhere in UK anymore, just can't be bothered to get the van out to be ripped off, sorry really , really like the broads and the eastern coast of England but why pay rediculas prices to go there when you can go to similer places in France at a fraction of the price, won't be continuing my ccc subscription this year , just never used any sites this year, I know the meets and things are ok , but would rather save the money and go to similer places in France for free.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
When I lived in a France, there was a huge lake with restaurant, snack bars, fully life guarded at weekend and right through high season, sand beach, acres of walks, volleyball pitch, showers, toilets, picnic tables, kids playgrounds, and canoes/ kayaks--ALL free. Lots of times I took visitors there and they'd reach for a purse to pay for the parking and entrance money.
I camped there several nights. First time was early in the year and I was the only person there overnight. Had the entire lake to myself til about 10 am.
Wonder what the charges would have been in UK?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I'm not sure you can make a direct comparison with the UK. France is a huge country with about the same population as the UK, roughly speaking.

It's social and labour policies have created a lot of well off retirees, some on full pay apparently and this in turn has created a huge population floating around in motorhomes. Villages and towns realised they could attract this population of snowbirds if they offered free or cut rate parking. Hence the plethora of aires in France.

The position in UK is not the same. Add the historic problems with travellers and hippies and you can see how the mindset here differs from France.

That's very true DBk but France has had many problems with the travelling fraternity. They just deal with it in a different way. Trespass; Day 1, Court; Day 2 and a company of CRS on day 3.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
plumbomb

plumbomb

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013
The plan for us this year was, 3 weeks in France in June ( only to be cut short to 2 weeks while were over there") later in the year 2 weeks in Scotland + long weekends here & there.but after our time in France in June I kept putting going north off. Probably the best decision I made in a long time, that 2 weeks now here in France . The thing is we had caravans for 25 + years only came to France twice with it & then just went to CC site so never knew any diffrance .but over here it's soooo much better, I do like to drive but I love driving over here. I we've got friends with caravans and I keep telling them how much better having a MH is, I wish someone told me years ago ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back