Mini Oil Filled Heater bargain. (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Should have a little van like ours Jim - one of those keeps the chill off the whole thing ::bigsmile: Good job really - there isn't room for a heater as well as a person in our loo :ROFLMAO:

Graham

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I would like to know where and when Jim found himself in a fridge, in either his PJs or a state of undress,
He must have done, in order to make the comparison:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Have you read the instructions as a lot of these oil filled radiators state in their instruction literature that they must not be left unattended, I'm not saying that these particular one's say that but its worth double checking as i would think if anything happened because people hadn't followed the instructions there insurance could be void ???

I returned the one from a well known shop because it contained the clause i mention above, I have since purchased another type which states that it shouldn't be left unattended for long periods, which appears to me to be more acceptable than just "unattended", as in my non-legal mind it allows a possible outlet as how long is a "Long Periods" hope that makes sense.

I must admit i really don't see the point in an Oil-filled radiator that can't be left unattended can any of you explain why some of them state this .

Just thought it may help

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi,

Have you read the instructions as a lot of these oil filled radiators state in their instruction literature that they must not be left unattended, I'm not saying that these particular one's say that but its worth double checking as i would think if anything happened because people hadn't followed the instructions there insurance could be void ???

I returned the one from a well known shop because it contained the clause i mention above, I have since purchased another type which states that it shouldn't be left unattended for long periods, which appears to me to be more acceptable than just "unattended", as in my non-legal mind it allows a possible outlet as how long is a "Long Periods" hope that makes sense.

I must admit i really don't see the point in an Oil-filled radiator that can't be left unattended can any of you explain why some of them state this .

Just thought it may help

Hi

Thanks for the alert,

I've triple read the instructions, seven pages on 'how to operate' and there is no mention about leaving unattended, if it did it would be winging it's way back to Makro ,

lots of useful safety tips like , not to be used outdoors, don't place where it might fall into a bath, don't use where petrol or paint is stored.. etc etc :RollEyes:

Can you name any of the brands that give this curious advice ? Like you I can see no point in a radiator that needs to be attended ....

Jim

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Jim

The one I have now which states "Note: Do not leave the device unattended for long periods with the frost protection mode activated" and that is made by Lervia from Lidl's. I must admit that statement also raises a question if it has a frost protection mode I would have thought that it would only be used in an unattended situation as if you were near it surely you would want it on before the frost mode came in automatically ???

The other one that i took back was from Netto's I actually rang Netto's head office in the UK and asked about the situation and they confirmed the instructions, I don't remember the make of that one.

I can tell you that 2 years ago when we purchased the old one that we have just replaced we had a similar problem and returned i believe it was 2 different models again I can't remember the makers names but i can assure you I wouldn't have taken them back if it hadn't said they shouldn't be used unattended.

It really does seem strange as while I could understand it with say a fan heater or a radiant type heater i just can't understand why they would state it with an oil filled radiator as they don't provide instant heat, one would normally want to leave them running so when you return the place would be warm ??

Hope that helps

Hi

Thanks for the alert,

I've triple read the instructions, seven pages on 'how to operate' and there is no mention about leaving unattended, if it did it would be winging it's way back to Makro ,

lots of useful safety tips like , not to be used outdoors, don't place where it might fall into a bath, don't use where petrol or paint is stored.. etc etc :RollEyes:

Can you name any of the brands that give this curious advice ? Like you I can see no point in a radiator that needs to be attended ....

Jim

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
I would think clause 12 is also relevant for us!

19. Do not use this product for anything other than its intended use. This appliance is for household use only.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Instructions for PORCYPE - 7

Clause 4 says to use extreme caution.. common sense would say that would apply to any heater

IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
PLEASE READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT.
Use this heater only as described in this manual. Any other use not recommended by the manufacturer may cause a fire or electrical shock.
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed:
1. Before operating the heater remove the unit from its packaging and
check it is in good condition.
2. The surfaces of this heater are hot whilst in operation. Always allow a
cool down period before moving it to another location. Keep all
flammable materials well away from the heater.
3. Keep flammable materials, such as furniture, pillows, bedding, papers, clothes, and curtains at least 3 feet (0.9m) from the front of the heater and the sides and rear.
4. Extreme caution is necessary when any heater is used by or near children
or pets and whenever the heater is left operating and unattended.
5. Always unplug heater when not in use.
6. Do not operate any heater with a damaged cord or plug, after the heater
malfunctions, has been dropped or damaged in any manner. Return the
heater to an authorised service facility for examination and repair.
7. Do not use outdoors. It is not intended for use in wet or damp locations.
Never locate heater where it may fall into a bathtub or other water container.
8. Do not run cord under carpeting. Do not cover cord with rugs or
runners. Arrange cord away from an area where it may be tripped
over. Do not use this heater with a programmer, timer or any other device that switches the heater on automatically, since a fire risk exists if the heater is covered or positioned incorrectly.
9. To disconnect heater, turn switches to the off position and remove plug from the power socket. Pull only by the plug. Never pull on the cord.
10. Do not place the heater on soft surfaces. Always place on a flat level surface.
11. Do not use it in areas where petrol, paint, or flammable liquids are used or stored.
12. Do not let children play with the packaging, for example plastic bags.
13. Check household voltage to ensure it matches the rating plate specification.
14. Avoid the use of an extension cord as it could overheat and cause a fire.
15. This heater is filled with a precise quantity of special oil. Repairs requiring
the opening of the oil container are only to be made by the manufacturer or a qualified service engineer, who should be contacted if there is any leakage.

Last edited:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Instructions for PORCYPE - 7

Clause 4 says to use extreme caution.. common sense would say that would apply to any heater

Used to use a Redring tubular greenhouse heater in the toilet of our Landau.
Bought it from RS supplies for about 15 quid I think.
At 1200mm long, it fitted nicely on the back wall on its mounting brackets and at onlt 40 watts it was enough to warm the bathroom without hammering the hook up.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Used to use a Redring tubular greenhouse heater in the toilet of our Landau.
Bought it from RS supplies for about 15 quid I think.
At 1200mm long, it fitted nicely on the back wall on its mounting brackets and at onlt 40 watts it was enough to warm the bathroom without hammering the hook up.::bigsmile:

Good idea, safer and as you say not hammering the supply but I doubt if 40watt would keep my OH happy .. she likes it like a sauna .. :roflmto::roflmto:

Excellent as frost protection :thumb:

I should add, we NEVER leave any heating on when leaving the coach unattended, apart from the inherent danger posed by the heaters there is also the risk of an electrical fault developing in the coach wiring causing a fire..

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I should add, we NEVER leave any heating on when leaving the coach unattended, apart from the inherent danger posed by the heaters there is also the risk of an electrical fault developing in the coach wiring causing a fire..

I must admit that ffiona and I are beggars for that!
Mind you, as Fulltimers still working for a living, we didn't really wanna come home to a freezing cold coach everynight ! ?:Sad:
We used to use a 2kw fanheater and always plugged it in via an RCD, we also used to place the fan heater on a block of hardwood rather than straight onto the carpet, figuring that it takes a fair bit more for hardwood to "catch" than carpet fluff !

At the moment, we have a twin axle Abbey Spectrum with the Alde 3010 wet water radiators and I must admit its fantastic. Having said that, i dont know what safety features are built in?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Wow, looking at those safety instructions for an oil heater just makes me laugh. Years ago I remember buying a disposable lighter that had a sticker on it saying do not light in your pocket!

Re the heater they must have forgotten a few simple guidelines.

I am sure that Funsters can think of a few....

Do not drain the oil and put it on your salad..
Do not use in a canoe..

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Jim

The one I have at the moment has frost protection and a Overheat cut-out they also make one with a built in timer so some of them must be made to leave on when unattended, I have read the paragraph you state below regarding dangers from all heaters, but surely if they are fitted with the devices mentioned that should be all the protection one should need, or isn't it ? it does make you think :Doh::Doh:

Good idea, safer and as you say not hammering the supply but I doubt if 40watt would keep my OH happy .. she likes it like a sauna .. :roflmto::roflmto:

Excellent as frost protection :thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi, Jim

The one I have at the moment has frost protection and a Overheat cut-out they also make one with a built in timer so some of them must be made to leave on when unattended, I have read the paragraph you state below regarding dangers from all heaters, but surely if they are fitted with the devices mentioned that should be all the protection one should need, or isn't it ? it does make you think :Doh::Doh:

Makes you think indeed,

No heater is 100% safe, manufacturers strive to make them so but defects in design and construction are inevitable.

Some months ago there were reports of cheapo oil filled heaters leaking oil, if this happened, apart from the mess, the heating coil could overheat and who knows what might happen, the overheat protection should cut the supply, but if it didn't would it explode.. ?

Fan heaters have been known to catch alight when left unattended, convector heaters likewise, possible due to overheating caused by dust/fluff in the heaters.

Frankly, I think much of the safety advice is there to protect the manufacturer from accident claims .. used with common sense and kept in good condition heaters are generally very safe.. but I still wouldn't leave them on when we go out.

Edit.............

I like this warning

Do not use this heater as an integral part of any life support or equipment protection

so can't be used to keep you warm... ?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back