Death at the end of the earth (1 Viewer)

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Yesterday our lovely six week old FIAT based motorhome decided not to work anymore. Only problem was we were wild camping on top of a cliff at cape finisterre. However thanks to FIAT assist we got lifted off and the van fixed and now back on the road after having the particle filter replaced.
So here is a picture of our scenic breakdown.
untitled (15 of 16).JPG

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Good to see Fiat Assist works.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
It seems that a lot of people don't realise the problems that diesel particulate filters can cause depending on the sort of driving you do - the AA gives good information and advice see http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html.

I've read that the new diesel Fiat 500 (typical 'shopping' car??) has had lots of problems with this. Several motorhomers I have spoken to didn't realise what can happen to their filters as a result of urban-type driving. There should be more publicity about this as having to replace a DPF is very expensive...

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi. This is a bit awkward,when it is only six weeks old i doubt anybody would race about,having said that,commercial vehicles have to "Earn their corn" from day one. I shall be watching out for ANY Fiat based campers flying about at breakneck speeds.
IF ?,you have this in writing, could you get away with speeding in an "Urban environment ?".......... DREAM ON !! LOL.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Well, if you have to have a breakdown better than the M25.

Glad all is fixed and you're on the road again.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Looks a bit precarious on the back of the breakdown truck! Seems like it should be moved forward a bit, or a bigger lorry?
Glad you got it fixed anyway.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hi. This is a bit awkward,when it is only six weeks old i doubt anybody would race about,having said that,commercial vehicles have to "Earn their corn" from day one. I shall be watching out for ANY Fiat based campers flying about at breakneck speeds.
IF ?,you have this in writing, could you get away with speeding in an "Urban environment ?".......... DREAM ON !! LOL.
Yes, 6 weeks old is a bit unusual. You don't need to speed! Driving at high revs is what it's about, to generate heat to burn off the soot! And don't restrict it to Fiats - other diesel makes are vulnerable too. The other 2 common vans for motor homes - Peugeot Boxer and Citroen Relay - are all pretty much the same.

OP
OP
Eamless

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
It was a sensor malfunction causing the filter to become clogged, not the way the vehicle had been driven. At the same time they changed a two foot long steel rod. Chap just said modification. It was quite scary watching them load the vehicle, just glad I could pump up the rear suspension otherwise there might have been a lot of scraping

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
when I had my VW T5 I was told that if the warning light flashes I need to run the engine at 2750 revs for 15 minutes, they had problems with central London delivery vans crawling round on low revs

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Wow, 6 weeks, you have done well!, only the one breakdown....
(ONLY JOKING!)
Cheers, Dave(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back