Brevio vs Rio... what do you peeps reckon (1 Viewer)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Well... been doing a lot of research...

The Brevio 645 and the Swift Rio 340 - do it for moi

bearing in mind -
limited to under 7 mtrs... driveway at home.
Not bothered ( don't want) fixed bed.. (also looked at A class e.g Pilote G600l and equivs etc.. but decided - nawh for mostly UK travel for nxt few yrs until SWMBO has more time)

I can see most of the advantages and dis-advantages of both... but i'm still torn...

Burstner (to my mind are like BMW) Buy and we sting you on extras - whereas Swift are like "lada" (remember them?) ... looking to up their game - and throwing everything at it...

looking to buy April 2015 onwards...

Any advice from you experienced funsters?

Go for it .... o_O

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Well... been doing a lot of research...

The Brevio 645 and the Swift Rio 340 - do it for moi

bearing in mind -
limited to under 7 mtrs... driveway at home.
Not bothered ( don't want) fixed bed.. (also looked at A class e.g Pilote G600l and equivs etc.. but decided - nawh for mostly UK travel for nxt few yrs until SWMBO has more time)

I can see most of the advantages and dis-advantages of both... but i'm still torn...

Burstner (to my mind are like BMW) Buy and we sting you on extras - whereas Swift are like "lada" (remember them?) ... looking to up their game - and throwing everything at it...

looking to buy April 2015 onwards...

Any advice from you experienced funsters?

Go for it .... o_O
I'm a bit biased but both the Pilote 600 and 690 A class really work well with a decent bathroom, lounge and Kitchen. We found very very few compromises. Back to the choice, agree about the Burstners, but there are lots of reported build quality issues with both Swift and Autotrail. Much of this could be due to the sheer volume of vans being built, so either would work over here. Always liked Autotrails....

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I'm a bit biased but both the Pilote 600 and 690 A class really work well with a decent bathroom, lounge and Kitchen. We found very very few compromises. Back to the choice, agree about the Burstners, but there are lots of reported build quality issues with both Swift and Autotrail. Much of this could be due to the sheer volume of vans being built, so either would work over here. Always liked Autotrails....

The only thing that puts me orf them is ( A class)... nowhere to "sprawl" ...
apart from on da bed...

Unless you kno different!??... :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The only thing that puts me orf them is ( A class)... nowhere to "sprawl" ...
apart from on da bed...

Unless you kno different!??... :)
Well.........the sprawling room was the very reason we got the Pilote Reference - it found us.

Have a look here and go to image gallery. No idea why the upholstery looks green....... it isn't.
Broken Link Removed

Loads of lounging room even with the dogs. We have had 9 in there at a sailing meeting.

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Well.........the sprawling room was the very reason we got the Pilote Reference - it found us.

Have a look here and go to image gallery. No idea why the upholstery looks green....... it isn't.
Broken Link Removed

Loads of lounging room even with the dogs. We have had 9 in there at a sailing meeting.

Phook.... likey...

oh!... and they say - pictures don't lie ... ;) :LOL: (once up on a time)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Phook.... likey...

oh!... and they say - pictures don't lie ... ;) :LOL: (once up on a time)
If you lived a bit closer you would be welcome to come and have a look. It is like a Tardis but without the daleks

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
If you lived a bit closer you would be welcome to come and have a look. It is like a Tardis but without the daleks

Travelled 250 mls yesterday - just to look at "the ex NEC Brevio" How far away r u?..

What NO Daleks... !!! What bout if u step outside?..

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We live in Suffolk but maybe a dealer has one a bit closer - reference G690L.

No Daleks but plenty of Dukleks

Rob_in

Free Member
Oct 30, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Funster No
MH
Looking for something
Exp
N00b
Travelled 250 mls yesterday - just to look at "the ex NEC Brevio"

Hi, how'd you go?

We're (the wife and I are looking for a van) completely new to this. Can't decide on where the compromise needs to be made but we are interested in a Brevio for it's (relatively) 'easy to drive anywhere' qualities.

The Brevio does have a very small washroom, but how long do you spend in there each day? ;) I'm 6' but slim <cough> So long as I can stand in there reckon it could work for us.

FWIW, we like the Brevio t 605 model because you could keep bikes and other stuff in the section at the back and not have to move them to sleep (the bed would sit above them). We like small because we spend a lot of time in the mountains on twisty roads (we have travelled through mountains in car size vehicles and are wanting to pull the pin on a motorhome to spend more time doing that kind of thing).

Cheers :)

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Hi, how'd you go?

We're (the wife and I are looking for a van) completely new to this. Can't decide on where the compromise needs to be made but we are interested in a Brevio for it's (relatively) 'easy to drive anywhere' qualities.

The Brevio does have a very small washroom, but how long do you spend in there each day? ;) I'm 6' but slim <cough> So long as I can stand in there reckon it could work for us.

FWIW, we like the Brevio t 605 model because you could keep bikes and other stuff in the section at the back and not have to move them to sleep (the bed would sit above them). We like small because we spend a lot of time in the mountains on twisty roads (we have travelled through mountains in car size vehicles and are wanting to pull the pin on a motorhome to spend more time doing that kind of thing).

Cheers :)

The thing I like about the 645 as opposed to the 605 - is somewhere to sprawl at the back... other than on a made bed.. Yes there's more storage with the 605 but you can't sit at the rear wi door open... and I think the bed when stored looks "untidy" too...

Also with the 645 there are anchor fixings fitted.... So carrying bikes on-board is also possible with that model... You would just use the drop-down bed for kipping ( no hassle of having to make it up) - and tidy when bed is stored :)

I see the 605 as being aimed at those that might want to carry lots of heavy outdoor gear ... say mountain climbing equipment etc.. as opposed to a couple of bikes ..

Then there's the Rio... same size and basic layouts... with more "stuff" thrown in.. and slightly cheaper...

Also the Hymer equivalent of the Brevio - the Compact 478 (looks identical in all but name).. Both of theses are on the AL-KO chassis - doubt the Rios will be.

Like you I've done all the mountain twisty's over the years - but on a BMW1200GS motorcycle - across France to the Alps as far as Italy etc.. but more recently along the French Alps (Spain side from Santander) down to the Med an back.. So like you - like that sort of touring.

I'm just waiting for a local-ish dealer to get the Rio's in - so that I can go take an "unrushed" look at them as a comparison to the Brevio/Hymer models...

Then It'll be biting the bullet - deciding and making the purchase!! :)

Rob_in

Free Member
Oct 30, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Funster No
MH
Looking for something
Exp
N00b
Thanks for the update. It's good to know other people have similar needs and interests and are having the same dilemma.

FWIW, this 'sprawl' you speak of with the 645. Yeah - I see your angle but really, you either want to sit or you are busted and want to lay down. If you want to lay down the bed in the 605 takes 30s to get ready (and as I said before - appears not to impact storage below) so who cares? I can see me needing a nap and the missus wanting to sit around and read or something and the 605 filling that need quite well. The extra lounge space of a 645 wouldn't help at all in this instance. I dunno - see above - we are n00bs and this is what I'm thinking. Perhaps I'm underestimating separate space to relax?

We actually just made a list of the things that are important to us. When you look at the brochures a Hymer 544 would appear to be our dream come true. When you look at the features that are actually important to us this model came pretty much bottom of the pile. Wow - who'd have thought!? Beware marketing hype! ;)

Rob_in

Free Member
Oct 30, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Funster No
MH
Looking for something
Exp
N00b
Oh, sorry... I meant to also mention that from what I can see those anchor things (for tie down of bikes, etc.) in the back of the Brevio - they seem to be there in all models. So either I've read that wrong or it's not an issue.

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
We actually just made a list of the things that are important to us. When you look at the brochures a Hymer 544 would appear to be our dream come true. When you look at the features that are actually important to us this model came pretty much bottom of the pile. Wow - who'd have thought!? Beware marketing hype! ;)

Hence you can't beat visiting dealers - and having a good "un-rushed" mooch and poke around; in as many as possible... :)

leta

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
cardiff
Funster No
MH
swift rio340
Exp
since 2000
Travelled 250 mls yesterday - just to look at "the ex NEC Brevio" How far away r u?..

What NO Daleks... !!! What bout if u step outside?..
hi can you tell me did you buy the Swift Rio 340

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
N
hi can you tell me did you buy the Swift Rio 340

Nope....
Bought this....

A million miles away from the Brevio...
:)
image.jpg

leta

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
cardiff
Funster No
MH
swift rio340
Exp
since 2000
OR thats so nice, we had Bailey 740 but did not like having to get on bus and taxis, so we trying to find someone with Swift RIO 340 as we can take anywere, yours looks very big lol i think much bigger than little RIO

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
OR thats so nice, we had Bailey 740 but did not like having to get on bus and taxis, so we trying to find someone with Swift RIO 340 as we can take anywere, yours looks very big lol i think much bigger than little RIO

It was a case of "get in and shut the doors"... and how does that feel...
Also the shower...
The Knaus is a tad bigger... 7m as opposed to 6m .. But we "hopefully" purchased for longevity... Fingers crossed...

That said... It's ticking all the boxes so far :)

leta

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
cardiff
Funster No
MH
swift rio340
Exp
since 2000
So glad you got the right one ,we have to get it right this time, just want to ask Rio owner how they finding the lack of out door space ...ect thank you for your reply and enjoy your lovely M/H

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back