Sep 20, 2008
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 Years
Hi All. First posting since joining.
Could anyone tell me if I should lower the Hydraulic jacks when my rv is not in use? This question may seem strange, when you are on site you always lower jacks but if they left down would I need to spray some lubricant every now and then?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My jacks manual says that the jacks should be regularly lubricated with silicone spray, specifically mentioning not to use oil like WD40.

For storage I would not lower the jacks:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My jacks manual says that the jacks should be regularly lubricated with silicone spray, specifically mentioning not to use oil like WD40.

Good point Jim,

WD40 is in fact a very poor lubricant being mostly made up of solvent, great for loosening things up, but it often does more harm than good by washing out the existing lubricant.
After use you need to apply proper mineral oil.

It's also great for cleaning tar off your bare feet... :thumb:

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Rv levellers

If you have a hydraulic levelling system, Jim is quite correct, you should not use any oil based lubricant on the exposed rod use only silicon spray anything else will cause the seals to swell and eventually the jack will seize! electric levellers it is ok to use oil. As Scotjimland says WD40 is not a good lubricant.
Dunc.

Shore-is-Good

Free Member
Aug 26, 2008
Somewhere warm
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
First of all - Hello - as this is my first posting on this forum.

I received the opposite advice.

I asked E&P Hydraulics (the makers of the hydraulic jacks fitted to my Concorde Charisma) and they advised me that it is absolutely acceptable to store my 'van with the jacks lowered. Their advice was to NOT lift the wheels completely off the ground (which I wouldn't anyway, as per the owner's instructions) but to just let each corner take some weight off of each wheel. (I wanted to avoid 'flat-spots' on my tyres while the 'van is in 6 months storage).

Furthermore, I Googled some US RV forums (since most US RVs have hydraulic jacks fitted!) and the advice was the same; "it's okay" and some said it was 'essential' for long term storage.

Concerned about surface rust on the exposed rams, I have coated them in a thin layer of waterproof grease, ensuring it didn't touch the seals and have left a note on my steering wheel to 'wipe the grease off' before retracting the legs.

So... if the manufacturer says it's okay and they do it on their RVs in the states, I'm happy.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
First of all - Hello - as this is my first posting on this forum.

I received the opposite advice.

I asked E&P Hydraulics (the makers of the hydraulic jacks fitted to my Concorde Charisma) and they advised me that it is absolutely acceptable to store my 'van with the jacks lowered. Their advice was to NOT lift the wheels completely off the ground (which I wouldn't anyway, as per the owner's instructions) but to just let each corner take some weight off of each wheel. (I wanted to avoid 'flat-spots' on my tyres while the 'van is in 6 months storage).

Furthermore, I Googled some US RV forums (since most US RVs have hydraulic jacks fitted!) and the advice was the same; "it's okay" and some said it was 'essential' for long term storage.

Concerned about surface rust on the exposed rams, I have coated them in a thin layer of waterproof grease, ensuring it didn't touch the seals and have left a note on my steering wheel to 'wipe the grease off' before retracting the legs.

So... if the manufacturer says it's okay and they do it on their RVs in the states, I'm happy.

Hello and welcome to the forum, thanks for making a contribution:thumb:

You will find lots of contrasting views about RV's in the States. Do a search for jacks down then slides out, or vice versa and you will see:Smile: I am totally mechanically challenged, but if I had the jacks system (like most people) that incorporates a spring return, I wouldnot leave them down. It must take some of the spring from the spring if they are stretched in the down position for months on end. Mine are hydraullic down and up, so maybe it would do no harm, or would it, I have no idea:Smile:

I am not worried about flat spots on tyres because they are never in the same place for too long.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Surely the answer should be not abandon your pride and joy for 6 months!!

Just go once a month and run the engine, take it for a spin, run the slides in and out, extend the jacks up and down a couple of times run the a/c switch on the heating..
its common sense.......use it or loose it :Doh:

I get it all the time at work with roller shutters locked up on Blackpool promenade 20 feet from the sea....................."I locked them up in November and now its May and they wont open, i think they may be seized up" :Doh:......no shit Sherlock!!!!!!!:Eeek::ROFLMAO:

Just spend 1 hour of your time playing with your pride and joy over the winter....it will save you a fortune:thumb:

Oh yes and DONT leave your handbrake on..it will seize up pretty quickly

Last edited:
OP
OP
verity23

verity23

Free Member
Sep 20, 2008
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 Years
Thanks guy's for all your advice. I agreed use it or lose it
Pete

Shore-is-Good

Free Member
Aug 26, 2008
Somewhere warm
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Use it or lose it is right, Dazzer and Verity23.

Unfortunately, I have no choice but to leave my P&J laid up for six months. You see, I spend that six months at my beach house in the Bahamas. It's a bummer, I know. :Cool:

The only consolation is that I really do use it (an awful lot) when I'm in the UK, with extended trips all over our beautiful island and the continent. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back