Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
No not gassing problems!!!
We are currently in Cap de Agde in South of France and will be heading to South East Spain. Problem is we are running out of gas :Eeek:
Does anybody know where, en route, I can get a bottle (Calor) filled?
I really wish I has Gaslow fitted now but as we are changing the van soon might be just as well.
Any other suggestions would be great.
Thanks
John

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
I know you'll get a lot of more experienced chaps along shortly with better answers, but from my experience in France (haven't been to Spain!) you can't get Calor. You'd need to go somewhere like Bricomarche and buy a new gas bottle and regulator, they're not that expensive there.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
or wait till in spain look out for the gas delivery truck you might be able to buy a bottle from him . or visit junk shops etc they sometimes have them for sale .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi, if you do not find a ready solution before you hit SE Spain then PM me. I have a full lightweight Butagas (French) and a suitable connector. I could also offer a Spanish cylinder they may suit you travels. I am located next to Camperstopsierraespuna in Totana, Murcia if you are passing
this way.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I know it doesn't help, but I am now really really pleased to have just ordered refillable bottles from Autogas 2000. Delivery on Wednesday, luckily SWMBO has a car sales business and workshop, so I will try and get the van booked in. I guess the mechanics will argue about who ' doesn't want' to make to 70mm hole in the 'skirt' of the van.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The problem with giving you suggestions is that we don't know what 'van, what year, and very importantly, if your Gas Locker is sufficiently large enough to accept the bottle through the door. Choices (decision for you)
Intermarche (bricomarche and ecomarche, Same Co). France, sell a propane or butane bottle about 10kgs, steel, It takes a left hand POL pigtail, the same as butane in UK.
Nearly all suppliers of gas supply have an even larger 13kgs bottle in steel with the same POL pigtail connection.
Spain, You can get a Repsol butane lightweight 6kgs bottle from any Repsol garage. For that you will need a Spanish 'Jumbo' Adaptor if your motorhome has a built in Reg, or a Jumbo Regulator if you have an older 'van.
Come back on here and tell us the information and we will be in better place to advise.

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
The problem with giving you suggestions is that we don't know what 'van, what year, and very importantly, if your Gas Locker is sufficiently large enough to accept the bottle through the door. Choices (decision for you)
Intermarche (bricomarche and ecomarche, Same Co). France, sell a propane or butane bottle about 10kgs, steel, It takes a left hand POL pigtail, the same as butane in UK.
Nearly all suppliers of gas supply have an even larger 13kgs bottle in steel with the same POL pigtail connection.
Spain, You can get a Repsol butane lightweight 6kgs bottle from any Repsol garage. For that you will need a Spanish 'Jumbo' Adaptor if your motorhome has a built in Reg, or a Jumbo Regulator if you have an older 'van.
Come back on here and tell us the information and we will be in better place to advise.
Thanks for that emmitdb
We have a 2006 Autotrail Tracker with 2 x 7kg Butane bottles which easily fit through the door opening so I guess a 10kg might as well.(will have to check dimensions before purchase) The regulator fits on top and I turn a black lever to lock it in place. Sorry not to be more technical but I know nothing about correct lingo in this field.
John

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
T
I know you'll get a lot of more experienced chaps along shortly with better answers, but from my experience in France (haven't been to Spain!) you can't get Calor. You'd need to go somewhere like Bricomarche and buy a new gas bottle and regulator, they're not that expensive there.
Thanks Gerri,
There is a Bricomarche about 4k from us so I will drive down tomorrow and see what can be done. (y)

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Hi, if you do not find a ready solution before you hit SE Spain then PM me. I have a full lightweight Butagas (French) and a suitable connector. I could also offer a Spanish cylinder they may suit you travels. I am located next to Camperstopsierraespuna in Totana, Murcia if you are passing
this way.
That's a great offer jumar, thanks very much. (y)
I will see what we can do tomorrow at Bricomarche. If we have no luck I will be in touch :notworthy2:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Baycott,

If you've got a 2006 Autotrail (and I'm not trying to be smart here) then surely you have a bulkhead Regulator and the "Regulator" as you call it is an Adaptor (An adaptor looks exactly like a Reg but has no parts inside to control the flow of gas).

If the above is correct then you already have a butane pigtail attached to the bulkhead Reg. All you need to do is remove the adaptor from the end of the pigtail (gas bottle end)attch your pigtail to a Bricomarche 10kgs (approx) Propane bottle. Propane is better because it works at lower temps than butane, not a prob in Spain, usually but in chillier northern places, essential.

As you have stated, make sure it will go through the gas locker door, Don't know the Autotrail but my mates Swift has a skinny door that only accepts 6kgs bottles.

PS Do not in any way feel embarrassed about not knowing technical jargon. I'd rather post again than leave you without gas.
As Roy Walker says on Catchphrase "Say what you see"

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I enlarged my gas door to accept the french 'Le Cube' bottle in my last van to allow no worries when out of gas.

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Thanks to everybody for your help. We are now fully guessed up (y)
Baycott,

If you've got a 2006 Autotrail (and I'm not trying to be smart here) then surely you have a bulkhead Regulator and the "Regulator" as you call it is an Adaptor (An adaptor looks exactly like a Reg but has no parts inside to control the flow of gas).

If the above is correct then you already have a butane pigtail attached to the bulkhead Reg. All you need to do is remove the adaptor from the end of the pigtail (gas bottle end)attch your pigtail to a Bricomarche 10kgs (approx) Propane bottle. Propane is better because it works at lower temps than butane, not a prob in Spain, usually but in chillier northern places, essential.

As you have stated, make sure it will go through the gas locker door, Don't know the Autotrail but my mates Swift has a skinny door that only accepts 6kgs bottles.

PS Do not in any way feel embarrassed about not knowing technical jargon. I'd rather post again than leave you without gas.
As Roy Walker says on Catchphrase "Say what you see"

Derek, thanks for your invaluable info and you were quite correct, there is a bulkhead regulator. We have bought a 20kg bottle (inc gas) for €21 which just goes to show what a rip off Calor is :mad:
And you were right again, the pigtail fitted perfectly so no adaptor needed.

Gerri, thanks again we found the Bricomarche and, eventually some Butogas after a difficult conversation with a non English speaking assistant talking to a non French speaking motorhome owner!!

This is a brilliant forum........help is always there when you need it(y)
Thanks again to all that replied.
John

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Glad you got sorted.
Don't use all the Sun allocation. We don't get down there for at least another week!!!

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
You should be ok Derek the sun is saving itself for you. Lots of cloud here at the moment.
From a wensearch it appears BUTAGAZ is butane......ok in southern winters but useless in cold northern France.
Thanks pappajohn,
We don't intent to be here when it's that cold :Eeek:

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
spending the winter in France and Spain, its all new to me I have a single red gas bottle runs cooker and heating, will I be able to get refills of these bottles in France or Spain, if I run out, no motorhome outlets around me for information, i am sure you members will know the score

thanks

crabs

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
spending the winter in France and Spain, its all new to me I have a single red gas bottle runs cooker and heating, will I be able to get refills of these bottles in France or Spain, if I run out, no motorhome outlets around me for information, i am sure you members will know the score

thanks

crabs

Unfortunately not. You'll need to buy a country specific bottle.

The alternative is to get a refillable system which you refill anywhere.

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
thanks for the reply, if I get a refillable system will it be ok for France and Spain, ?

thanks

crabs

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
thanks for the reply, if I get a refillable system will it be ok for France and Spain, ?

thanks

crabs

Yes, you just need an adapter. You can buy a full set before you go. They aren't that expensive - or you borrow one from a local Funster. Some garages have them as well.

http://www.gasit.co.uk/gas-it-plus-4-part-european-fill-point-adapter-kit.html

Pretty sure you can get them cheaper elsewhere :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back