LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Has anybody used or got a wireless rear view camera fitted to their rig ??

I have not had much luck with the wireless intruder devises I have around my property, :RollEyes:

So are they worth fitting or stick to the wired type ?

Sorry if this question is in the wrong section.

Thanks.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Has anybody used or got a wireless rear view camera fitted to their rig ??

I have not had much luck with the wireless intruder devises I have around my property, :RollEyes:

So are they worth fitting or stick to the wired type ?

Sorry if this question is in the wrong section.

Thanks.

Not got one but have read reports that they are not very good, interference being a problem, I'd stick with a hard wired , especially with a big outfit ..

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
All posts I have seen on the subject say the same thing, they only work well over very short distances, a panel van seems fine but longer motorhome has problems, RV almost impossible. Having spoken with Maplins staff they report the same sort of comments from customers. So hard wired seems to be the order of the day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, I haven't got one but i intend to agree with the posts above as I have problems with those wireless keyboards and mouse. :ROFLMAO:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
I have one, but up to now I have not had time to fit it!!!!!!!!!!
I would like it to work on the 5er, BUT the range is supposed to be 30ft in ideal conditions, so I can't really expect it to work well. I use the truck camper more than the 5er so I will eventually get to use it!!! When I get time to fit it.

I did see on an American forum someone fitted a wireless camera to a fifth wheel but it would only work in the back of the truck, so me thinks if I mounted the monitor in the back window facing forwards you could view it through the rear facing mirror.

It would be very useful mounted along the side of the 5er so the range wouldn't need to be 30'.

Nigel and Pamala

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Thanks Guy`s.

I will stick to the wired variety..

Just me being lazy,, again.. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I have an excellent wireless unit but it isn't the usual chinese cheapie that is flogged in its masses via ebay and some dealers, its one made for big US truck rigs. Works brilliantly as those who have seen it at various meets will know. Will take some pics of the box and get some details for those who are interested. Cost around £200. I use it as a rearview cam, NOT a reversing cam, as I like to check on the Smart when towing.
No problems with interference and the screen is really large with excellent colour, can also be used as a screen for dvd players etc as it has separate AV inputs.

Laurie

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
I also heard the wireless ones are prone to interference and flicker a lot causing distraction if you have it swicthed on all the time, but i guess they vary a lot and also there must be a lot of factors that interfere with a radio signal

You can wire them to only come on when in reverse or have it on all the time.

I got this one back in April, the screen clips over your existing rear view mirror, so doesnt clutter the dash board, got it from ebay with 5m extra coaxe, few extra pounds, all the cables came with plugs and sockets already fitted so there was no fiddly wiring especially for the coaxe, everything just plugged together easily, just had to feed the wires through the existing ducts and cupboards so everything is hidden. Fitted it in no time and its excellent:

Link Removed

this link is just for the TFT monitor /mirror you will need a camera too. There are plenty on ebay....like this Link Removed

Our camera looks like this and works well Link Removed

The screen also has a second AV input so you can plug in your media player etc to play videos, it also has built in speakers (never used them though). The camera that came with it has Infra Red so you can see in the dark around the back of the van, it works very well when we are towing the motorbike as we can see its still there and not fallen off :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back