Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, I've just joined the Funsters and look forward to a long association. I have a '07 Ducato based Lunar H601 and I'm sure this question has been asked before. It never had a spare wheel so I bought one last year and would like to fit a carrier to the chassis to get it out of the small locker. I have found several on the web but can anyone recommend a suitable option?

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
OP
OP
English Springer

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Moodybrook. Some good ideas on the thread but unfortunately I can't access the roof and a bike carrier prevents a spare going on the back. I was looking an al-ko carrier but read somewhere that it doesn't fit a Ducato chassis. Don't know if it's true or not but will check.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Thanks Moodybrook. Some good ideas on the thread but unfortunately I can't access the roof and a bike carrier prevents a spare going on the back. I was looking an al-ko carrier but read somewhere that it doesn't fit a Ducato chassis. Don't know if it's true or not but will check.

There you go see the above post and link from Andy "Techno100" solves all your problems, Your subs back after your first post for help !!
I knew I had seen something about it. Big thanks to Andy, I'm about to do air suspension and Andy has a great photo DIY thread on that subject too. (y) :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Yep, Mines not on an Alko either but the windy up and down bit looks the same so surely it is just about adapting your suspending beam and fixing bracket ? Providing he has room between the chassis runners ?

Using Flat metal make a basket and some bolts to fix to chassis, not windy up and that, but hopefully not needed too often. My spare, 6 year old, has never been out in the daylight since new. If I was pushed on weight I think I'd leave it at home, especially if I had recovery etc. Shit now I have tempted fate !! :(

OP
OP
English Springer

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks to you both but because its a Ducato chassis and I don't have the tools or workshop to make alterations and adaptions I'm sure there's a better fit out there. I've got the winter to try and find it so onwards and upwards. Many thanks again.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Thanks to you both but because its a Ducato chassis and I don't have the tools or workshop to make alterations and adaptions I'm sure there's a better fit out there. I've got the winter to try and find it so onwards and upwards. Many thanks again.

Sorry if I'm missing something but if you have a Ducatto chassis why are you looking for an Alko carrier?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes an Alko carrier is made for chassis that have an ALKO extension at the rear. The Alko cage drops down at the rear.

OP
OP
English Springer

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
As yet I haven't studied my chassis but the Alko carrier I saw on the web appeared to be a simple way to solve my problem until I read that it won't fit so I'm back to square one any seeking something that will fit my chassis.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the standard new version (not the original faulty one) of the ducato wheel carrier is reasonably cheap at £130
Broken Link Removed

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
If you are struggling to carry a spare wheel, why not consider just a spare tyre? You can always call out the breakdown service and can get the fitters to fit your spare onto the rim. You may find that changing a tyre roadside on motorway, dual carriage way or in the dark better done by the professionals

At least you get the tyre brand you want, but carry much less weight

Adrian

OP
OP
English Springer

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Big1 certainly one to consider although not sure if one has to crawl under to retrieve and replace the wheel or not. Any ideas?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the genuine part, which just bolts on, you reach under to unwind the cable then pull the wheel to the side and unclip. no need to be under the van completely. although the side skirts on most coachbuilt vans make it an awkward job to achieve

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
One of the tips provided by Techno was to place an old blanket or similar under the spare wheel prior to lowering it, so that it can be dragged out more easily. never had to try it but seems to be a good idea to consider

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes a curtain makes it easy.
The most I have paid for a winding mechanism (ebay)is £65 delivered. Don't be paying £130! and make sure it includes the winding handle. Also make sure it is for the correct wheel size as 15 & 16" are not the same
CA_07241419471198-XL.jpg

OP
OP
English Springer

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
The curtain idea is a good suggestion, thanks to you both. I'll look for a £65 version as that can make it more economical.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Same version just not all sellers are so optimistic or greedy

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
heres one for £60
Broken Link Removed

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Just another wee one if you do get a winder fitted. The principle of lowering it onto an old curtain etc is good, however my cable would not allow it to come past the edge of my van sidecurtain so the cable needs extricating beforehand.
Now my tip is to lower it onto one of your leveling ramps, placed at the side away from where you are working so that the whole wheel tilts towards you. You will find that allows easier access for disconnecting the cable.
Your curtain or other suitable sheet is still necessary to keep you clean while grovelling under the van. :Eeek:

Also before you tackle all that, I'd consider just what you are jacking your van up with and also the possibilities for axle stands if you are of a nervous disposition. Hope your purse is deep as I'm not finished yet, what about a torque wrench to tighten your wheel nuts with(Lidl and Aldi do those reasonably priced). Now what else was there .... :whistle2::whistle2: ::bigsmile:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I had to mount my wheel off centre to leave room for the winder and thus it reaches to where I can service it.
CA_04131312361960-XL.jpg

OP
OP
English Springer

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
Moodybrook, because the MH only had a foam repair kit as std I ended up buying wrenches, jacks and everything else when I purchased the spare wheel so although some pockets are deep, there may not be much at the bottom.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My solution was practical if not desirable from a cosmetics point of view. I have a Webasto diesel heater under the motorhome so no room for spare wheel. I had a tow bar fitted (may want/need to tow in future) and to this I fitted the Thule bike carrier. (http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products...ted-bike-carriers/thule-easybase-949-_-949000)
To this I strapped the spare wheel which is covered in a waterproof covering. Not pretty, but very functional and easy to get at in an emergency.

OP
OP
English Springer

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
Philippft, thanks for the idea. I did consider strapping the wheel to my Fiamma bike rack which would be very easy but only practical when I'm not carrying the bikes. Nevertheless it could be a temporary solution to think about if needs must.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you are struggling to carry a spare wheel, why not consider just a spare tyre?

That's what we are going to do. I wouldn't be able to change a wheel by the side of the road anyway, and I'm not sure I would want Martin to do it. Best left to the people who have the correct equipment (was going to say tools but I know how you chaps would interpret that......)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
That's what we are going to do. I wouldn't be able to change a wheel by the side of the road anyway, and I'm not sure I would want Martin to do it. Best left to the people who have the correct equipment (was going to say tools but I know how you chaps would interpret that......)
Can/do Breakdown vehicles carry equipment to change tyres ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back