LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Ok so our extensive research has led us down the path to 3 vans, one we have already seen and two we are off to see tomorrow.

The story thus far-
The dealer
van is, nice, clean and tidy very well maintained with minimal extras, surfice to say it only has an alarm, colapsable steering wheel and sog plus an extra leisure battery. nothing more. Low milage and 2 owners and £26k that he has already moved from 29k. A very nice dealer I might add not your high pressure sales pitch and he will throw in a bike rack to get a deal.
So question 1 is how much further do you think I could negotiate before he falls about laughing.
THE cruncher I suppose is the 12month warranty

van 2 is a private sale from someone wishing to upgrade, not in a hurry to sale and has 1 owner described as as new, 18k with a fantastic alarm system, and sounds like someone that has really taken care of it. Extras are a bike rack and cab aircon, outside gas BBQ. The owner is upgrading so not looking to take a cut but his bottomw line would be £25k no lower.

Van3
This is a desperate to sell man. You know the sort, He is the 2nd owner whom has not taken to Motorhoming and has only done 1k miles in a year. everything is included, electric cables, chocks, tv,dvd, It also has extras including saterlitte system, Tv aerial, roof air con. BBQ point , bike rack, no alarm system and an MOT is required, service history and due a habitation check now. The advertised price was £28k ovno but I gain the impression that there is a bargain to be had on this one, maybee as low as 24-25k with some tasty extras.

So question is what am i missing and what further advice would anyone like to add in choosing one of these jelopies. A nervous time to be shelling out such large somes of cash.

please help:Sad:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Ok so our extensive research has led us down the path to 3 vans, one we have already seen and two we are off to see tomorrow.

The story thus far-
The dealer
van is, nice, clean and tidy very well maintained with minimal extras, surfice to say it only has an alarm, colapsable steering wheel and sog plus an extra leisure battery. nothing more. Low milage and 2 owners and £26k that he has already moved from 29k. A very nice dealer I might add not your high pressure sales pitch and he will throw in a bike rack to get a deal.
So question 1 is how much further do you think I could negotiate before he falls about laughing.
THE cruncher I suppose is the 12month warranty

van 2 is a private sale from someone wishing to upgrade, not in a hurry to sale and has 1 owner described as as new, 18k with a fantastic alarm system, and sounds like someone that has really taken care of it. Extras are a bike rack and cab aircon, outside gas BBQ. The owner is upgrading so not looking to take a cut but his bottomw line would be £25k no lower.

Van3
This is a desperate to sell man. You know the sort, He is the 2nd owner whom has not taken to Motorhoming and has only done 1k miles in a year. everything is included, electric cables, chocks, tv,dvd, It also has extras including saterlitte system, Tv aerial, roof air con. BBQ point , bike rack, no alarm system and an MOT is required, service history and due a habitation check now. The advertised price was £28k ovno but I gain the impression that there is a bargain to be had on this one, maybee as low as 24-25k with some tasty extras.

So question is what am i missing and what further advice would anyone like to add in choosing one of these jelopies. A nervous time to be shelling out such large somes of cash.

please help:Sad:

No:- 3 and screw him down another 2K at least as it a buyer market. If he wont budge try chipping number 2 down. my bet is number 3 though with a further discount as he needs out:thumb:

It's a buyer market especially in these figures think what holiday 2K would buy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Thanks John,
like your thinking its like mine.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Haga,

No 3 sounds the obvious choice but you do not say what models, years and mileages.

What are you going to do with present van, you could end up like No 3 getting rid of it!

Peter

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Depends if all 3 vans are the same (or similar) make / model I guess.

This is a buyer's market - ask for another 4k off from each seller and be prepared to accept a move back up by 1 k.

Thnk of how much the missing "extras" for each van will cost - for example, If the van does not have an alarm (and why not these days!), then how much to put on the alarm of your choice? I would guess it's a little more expensive than to buy a bike rack....

And in the end, just ask the wife. She'll decide anyways.

Papa

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Depends if all 3 vans are the same (or similar) make / model I guess.

This is a buyer's market - ask for another 4k off from each seller and be prepared to accept a move back up by 1 k.

Thnk of how much the missing "extras" for each van will cost - for example, If the van does not have an alarm (and why not these days!), then how much to put on the alarm of your choice? I would guess it's a little more expensive than to buy a bike rack....

And in the end, just ask the wife. She'll decide anyways.

Papa

all the same models papa. And your probably right Nikki will get too choose but of course we all know who will do the driving:winky:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
On number 3 in mean another 2K off of 25K at least, use the MOT and service as a downside and forget the goodies they are already on it, highlight what you have already been offered and lie a bit:winky:

Sure JC would agree he would (nudge nudge wink wink :winky:) ignore them on trade in and highlight them on sale. (sorry JC:winky:)

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I'd go for No 3 also.......but negotiate the final price, then tell him it's agreeable on condition of him paying the cost of a new MOT at a station of your choice (don't let him take it to a Garage of his preference....this is quite important). If it requires money spending to get it through an MOT, then knock that off the pre-agreed price.

Any vehicle being offered up for sale without MOT is at a disadvantage. You have to ask yourself why the seller cannot be bothered to do it before advertising.....he quite possibly has and had a failure and doesn't want to spend the money!

Finally....be ruthless. Never buy on impulse and be prepared to walk away from a deal to think it over. You may well have had a change of heart by the following day which could save you thousands!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
None of them! Yet. Prices are going to go lower, many dealers are not part exchanging. The new year will see lots of private sales bargains as motorhomers feeling the pinch unload. If you can bear to go without for a little while you will reap the rewards in the new year.

Just my opinion, which i know you will ignore because its really horrible to be motorhomeless, :Smile: so rush out and choose van 3. Remember most deals finish in the middle, so 9 times out of 10, the lower your first offer the better deal you will get. Don't be afraid to insult private sellers with a low price. Most sellers have already been seriously insulted by a dealer so your offer wont sound as bad as you think it does:Smile:

Best of Luck:thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Hi Haga,

No 3 sounds the obvious choice but you do not say what models, years and mileages.

What are you going to do with present van, you could end up like No 3 getting rid of it!

Peter

Sorry JC, all the same model, and my van is now pictures in my memory. :Sad::Sad::Sad: Hencee why im in for a new one.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
None of them! Yet. Prices are going to go lower, many dealers are not part exchanging. The new year will see lots of private sales bargains as motorhomers feeling the pinch unload. If you can bear to go without for a little while you will reap the rewards in the new year.

Just my opinion, which i know you will ignore because its really horrible to be motorhomeless, :Smile: so rush out and choose van 3. Remember most deals finish in the middle, so 9 times out of 10, the lower your first offer the better deal you will get. Don't be afraid to insult private sellers with a low price. Most sellers have already been seriously insulted by a dealer so your offer wont sound as bad as you think it does:Smile:

Best of Luck:thumb:

and to think Jim you know me so well after 1 year:ROFLMAO: Im meant to be the one with the qualifications in psychology:Doh:

Hopesy

Free Member
Nov 5, 2008
South Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Are you sure of motives

The cynic in me warns about the motives of seller 3, Are you sure he's not spinning you a yarn about being desperate to sell. he could be a bit of a del boy and trying to off load a pile of rubbish and make you feel that you've got a bargin. My glass seems to be half empty this morning:Blush:.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
I would have a good look at number 3 and if you are happy with it really bid him low say £19,000 what is the worst that can happen? He will say no!!!

Greatly emphasize the obvious down points namely, no MOT, him wanting a quick sale, it being a terrible time of the year to sell a motorhome, service required also any faults that you can see no matter how small, also point out that in just over a month it will be another year older. Then emphasize that you are a cash buyer, times are hard you have no part exchange to bother with etc, etc.

Above all do not, I repeat do not appear too keen to buy act as if you are not bothered if you buy it or not, and tell your better half the same!

If you cannot agree a price say around the £20,000 mark walk away but leave your phone mumber saying you have several others to look at and you offer is only good for a week.

This has worked for me in the past, best of luck.

Regards Pat

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi personally No. 3 worries me, if you wanted to sell why would you not get an MOT on a £25,000 vehicle? doesn't sound right to me.

Olley

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Hi personally No. 3 worries me, if you wanted to sell why would you not get an MOT on a £25,000 vehicle? doesn't sound right to me.

Olley

he will do olley. he just has not got one yet, he says he will do this before sale.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Haganap I am with Pat -ruffingitsmoothly- on this go in low leave phone number and walk.In fact do it with all 3 and see what happens :thumb::ROFLMAO:I suspect that when they get a realaity check you will hear from one of them after a few weeks :thumb::thumb:
terry

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The cynic in me warns about the motives of seller 3, Are you sure he's not spinning you a yarn about being desperate to sell. he could be a bit of a del boy and trying to off load a pile of rubbish and make you feel that you've got a bargin. My glass seems to be half empty this morning:Blush:.
I'm neither a pessimist or an optimist, but an engineer,The glass was to big in the first place:thumb:
Paul
All good advice, especially Bulletguys, we all know what these bent Testers are like:Eeek:
And if you take Pats advice dont forget to take a knife and cut his throat too :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Glad your not buying off me
Good luck
Geo

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I'm neither a pessimist or an optimist, but an engineer,The glass was to big in the first place:thumb:
Paul
All good advice, especially Bulletguys, we all know what these bent Testers are like:Eeek:
And if you take Pats advice dont forget to take a knife and cut his throat too :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Glad your not buying off me
Good luck
Geo

Just a though Paul has got enough dosh to buy the Coachman and LPG it:winky::thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Haganap heres another thought :thumb: which ever you go for make sure you give it a good half hours test drive :thumb: then check every thing works ie fridge, boiler, heating,taps etc,remember if it is a private sale once you have paid and you drive away,you are on your own ::bigsmile::thumb::ROFLMAO:
You can always buy one of Jims checklists (off Ebay of course-he needs feedback)and tick off everything as you go :thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just a though Paul has got enough dosh to buy the Coachman and LPG it:winky::thumb:
John, with Paul and his buying buddies tricks I would have to LPG it my self, and pay him to take it away:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Then he'd cut my throat and make me say thank you:Eeek::Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Paul,

Get a mate to go look at it (pretending he's another buyer) and get them to offer £6000 less than the asking price. Then you offer "only" £4000 below asking price... the seller will probably bite your arm off.

Papa

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi paul,

theres one thing that everyone seems to have overlooked......except yourself im sure. :ROFLMAO:

get it HPI checked...Link Removed

£20 well spent.

No 3 wants a quick sale !!!!! is it his to sell ? is it on finance ? is it on the stolen recovered register ?.

dont forget, to complete the check and be covered for loss you MUST get the log book serial No BEFORE you buy. the serial No on the new document will be different. see HERE

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
if you wanted to sell why would you not get an MOT on a £25,000 vehicle? doesn't sound right to me.
Advertising a vehicle for sale before getting it MOT'd is a bit 'back to front', but some people do sell without, and some will buy....myself included.

My campervan was bought without MOT and i knocked the seller down £500 as i reckoned it would need money spending to get it through as it was a 'typical m/h campervan owner'.....been left standing long periods in the driveway. Classic mistake of any vehicle owner as they never get aired so rust, rot, and tinworm soon sets in. A shiny body looks pretty but means nothing. It's possibly hiding an expensive welders nightmare underneath!

My van passed on mechanics and lighting, but needed a fair bit of welding to the underfloor.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Paul
Good luck
Geo

Here you are Paul borrow this it's better than a knife:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

044c511d.jpg

Regards Pat

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
The problem is that we havent seen the van. Number two looks favourite and you can probabley get it down a few k.

I would say forget the add on's like tv etc. When you finally decide upon the one you want you will almost certainley make changes because thats the way you are, you want your mh to be right for you.

You have see it, touched it and have a real feel for it. If your heart tells you, I love this bus then buy it. If your not sure, let it go. If you reckon its value for your money, go for it but be sure that you will want to change it.

You must take in to account mileage and general wear and tear. Only you can decide. We bought our mh off theweb without having the benefit of seeing it up front. We love it.

If you can wait (and I know its hard) then wait and have a really good look around. ITS A BUYERS MARKET.

All the best Jim :Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Cant believe all of the Prophets of doom and gloom on this thread. You know what you want. Go and trust your own judgment.

Jim :thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Cant believe all of the Prophets of doom and gloom on this thread. You know what you want. Go and trust your own judgment.

Jim :thumb:

Thanks Jim,
we know what layout we want as we have been looking for ages. We know what van we want because the layout is unique to that van, We are happy with the brand, we know what xtras we would like because we have never had, but also what extras we would need because we have had, if that makes sense?
I brought my last van private and got a bargain. I expect to do the same again. I keep getting told its a buyers market, so tomorrow I shall see if that is the case or not.
I am quite mechanically savy so dont mind if a few things need repairing or fixing, as long as the general kit looks as it should. As long as it aint on finance, bent, or stolen then I suppose we are willing to look at what is the best bargain.

My head says no 2. but the devil in me says screw no 3:sin: , but you never know his ideas of value may fall different to me in which case it will be no 2.

incedently, i dont think theres much doom and gloom, just quite solid advice, My inlaws whom are mr and mrs Perfect think The only place we should buy from is the dealers, they think were mad for even thinking private.:Blush:

strange:roflmto:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thanks Jim,
we know what layout we want as we have been looking for ages. We know what van we want because the layout is unique to that van, We are happy with the brand, we know what xtras we would like because we have never had, but also what extras we would need because we have had, if that makes sense?
I brought my last van private and got a bargain. I expect to do the same again. I keep getting told its a buyers market, so tomorrow I shall see if that is the case or not.
I am quite mechanically savy so dont mind if a few things need repairing or fixing, as long as the general kit looks as it should. As long as it aint on finance, bent, or stolen then I suppose we are willing to look at what is the best bargain.

My head says no 2. but the devil in me says screw no 3:sin: , but you never know his ideas of value may fall different to me in which case it will be no 2.

incedently, i dont think theres much doom and gloom, just quite solid advice, My inlaws whom are mr and mrs Perfect think The only place we should buy from is the dealers, they think were mad for even thinking private.:Blush:

strange:roflmto:

Well done haggers. You know what you had and what you want. Your the best judge and thats my point I suppose. Like I said. No matter what you buy you will change it. Its not so much the bells and whistles as the substance of the base vehicle and the habitation area.

You are correct in terms of is it a buyers market. Buyers market or not I woudnt let my bus go for anything less than the value that I would put on it. We were a bit lucky when we bought ours. The dollar was at 1.58 to the pound and so I did get a deal. Said that I have spent a lot of money on it making it the right bus for us.

Your bus is out there, good luck Jim :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back