Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
After years of travelling in Europe I have a collection of 'small change' ie 1,2,5,10 cents I have a bagful which I don't take when we travel as it's weighty!! What does everyone do with theirs?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Keep carrying ours but still looking for a machine in France where you just drop them all in and get paper Euro's out.
Tried a few at the machine in the local Sainsburys but it kept spitting them out.

Mike

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We hand them over in a zippy bag to the first beggar we see at traffic lights before leaving France. Often over 10€ but still get a sulky face like wtf? ungrateful gits

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
personally I put them in a charity collecting tin back in the uk. they get the coins counted by machine and its all worth money at the end of the day

a family member used to work at a local bingo hall. they used to get all manner of non uk coins in the machines pre euro times. it was all saved up and taken to the bank once a year and the value put towards the christmas party for the staff. not usually an insignificant amount either

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You need to pop into a local boulangerie early and spend all those coins on croissants, pain au chocolat and pain. They will welcome the change and you will have breakfast sorted for your trip home.
Allan

OP
OP
adriacoral

adriacoral

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Thanks all, yes would like to spend them but my handbag is heavy enough!! Have just counted all the 20's into piles and got 10 e which is fab but don't fancy putting them in my purse lol
Do banks in England take them? In France would I hv to bag them up like in uk to take them in?...

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
post office you dont need to bag them, and they accept euros

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Top tip !!!

Self service tills at the hypermarkets.

We always use Carrefour in Calais, must have spent a small carrier bag full last time we visited ;)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I'm not proud, normally get looks for my trolley of cheap wine and excessive quantity of cream cakes...

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
The way the European Union, and the Euro€ is going, I would keep them for collector items(y)
And I'm not starting a yes- no EU referendum thread ; there's enough of them already:eek:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
The Charities Aid Foundation explains that most major charities with a High Street shopping presence will accept foreign currency on site and you can also often donate via your local Post Office Branch to Barnardo's, or at a Marks & Spencers Bureau de Change counter to Breakthrough Breast Cancer.

Big name charities that take foreign currency include Age UK (Help the Aged, Age Concern), Barnardo's and Oxfam, or contact your favoured charity to ask about donating overseas money and they should be able to help.

Or perhaps donate to UKIP!

:france::france::france:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've been hoping to find one of those machines like in our Sainsbury's that accepts small coinage and prints a money off voucher for a small percentage fee. I haven't seen one yet in a French supermarket.

Interesting comment about UK charities taking foreign coinage - I didn't realise that.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Well if you use P&O Ferries you can spend them over the counter and they give you the change in sterling!

So needing a couple of quid for the Dartford tunnel Jenny handed over a twenty euro note on Tuesday and ended up with £8.04 in change, looking at the receipt they have an exchange rate of 1.45 robbing gits! even worse is the machines that change your euro's into sterling they give you just 52p per euro!

We normally keep all our euro's notes and coins as we always expect we will be back over the channel before too long.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Place all small coinage (origin immaterial) in long Lovat sock, use gaffer tape to seal. Really, really works on soft tissue and it's so much more effective than 'gassing' ! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back