LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If you send someone a PM and know they have been online, how long do you think is acceptable for them to reply before deeming the person rude or ignorant?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think it depends very much on the context and urgency Sandra. I do try to reply asap but if I am away I can read PMs but not reply to them. Only the deity of the internet knows why as even the 19 year old expert couldn't make it work.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Sandra, don't forget they may not have seen the little red number on inbox, and sometimes they may have gone off the computer and not logged off ... i.e. for about half hour or so afterwards it will look as though they are on when they arn't.

I guess also it depends on what the message is about.. If you telling them they are a boring, old fart they may make you wait.. :)... Or they may not know that is what the little red box means is they are new.

Sent you a pm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The recipient may well be on line but on a small mobile device which is fine for viewing the forum but not so easy for typing messages ... so I would not draw any hasty conclusions.

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Maybe the recipient doesn't think there's any urgency to reply because you're not showing as on-line...? :think:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
There isn't any time limit, surely?

This is a leisure site after all.

Perhaps I will set up to do an automatic reply on my pm box

" Your email has been received. I will aim to respond within 3 working days. If i haven't responded within that time it means I can't be arsed"

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
There isn't any time limit, surely?

This is a leisure site after all.

Perhaps I will set up to do an automatic reply on my pm box

" Your email has been received. I will aim to respond within 3 working days. If i haven't responded within that time it means I can't be arsed"
That would be better than a no response.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It is much the same as people who come on the forum, ask a question and then don't bother even following up after everyone else has gone to the trouble of digging out information and posting it up. It can be quite annoying - but it takes all sorts to make the world and some are more respectful and considerate than others

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Just as well everyones brain doesnt work the same way then.

Yes clearly.

If I was accused of being rude or ignorant for failing to respond to a PM sent on a motorhome site within a specific time frame, I would consider my accuser a little, um, strange.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yes clearly.

If I was accused of being rude or ignorant for failing to respond to a PM sent on a motorhome site within a specific time frame, I would consider my accuser a little, um, strange.

The thing is I never accused you or anyone else, I merely asked a question.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The thing is I never accused you or anyone else, I merely asked a question.

I agree.

Funny question to ask if something isn't bugging you though.

Don't you think?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Can see both sides here; there are frequently good reasons for not replying as outlined in above posts, but it can be frustrating.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I generally send PMs without expecting a reply to be sent immediately. Not all members that appear to be online are actually in front of their computer or viewing the forum. often i only know i've got a PM when the system emails me, which might only get seen next day

being rude or ignorant is often a subjective thing

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
If I go away and I cant get any wifi then I cant read or send anything so could be off line a couple of weeks.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I have a friend who's a bit tardy in replying to my texts, it doesn't bother me but it came up in conversation once and she said, yes I always read your texts but more often than not your not asking me a question so there's no need to reply.

I realised she was right, so I'm wondering did your pm require an answer? Did you ask a question or were you just giving information, news etc but expecting an acknowledgment ?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Good point, Dawn. Depends on how well you know the person as well.....

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Some things are worth getting upset about and perhaps some things are not. I take a relaxed approach. Luckily, I am sufficiently unpopular that i don't get any PMs in the first place.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
If you send someone a PM and know they have been online, how long do you think is acceptable for them to reply before deeming the person rude or ignorant?
It can be misleading to assume someone is being ignorant. Something really important could have suddenly come up, like a coronary arrest, which may keep them away from the keyboard for some considerable time, like forever if it was a bad one. (y)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well if anyone had PM'd me in the last few months, they'd still be waiting for an answer, cos that's how long we haven't been on-line. But we don't exactly tell the world when we will be away since it's an open invitation to felons local to your home. Pete will have been showing as being online for the whole time I daresay as he never logs out so even if he hasn't been on a puter I expect the site log will show him as being not only on the puter but being on the site - or does it know when we press the 'off' button on the machine?

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I have no idea how you guys keep up to date when your out and about, I am trying to address the situation but I rarely am online when not at home, must try harder! If I should get a pm and I don't reply right away, please don't take the hump, point in question, electricity off all day today, tied up till silly o'clock, couldn't have replied even if I wanted to, oh, and a steam driven phone doesn't help either! Going to join the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 club I think.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It is much the same as people who come on the forum, ask a question and then don't bother even following up after everyone else has gone to the trouble of digging out information and posting it up. It can be quite annoying - but it takes all sorts to make the world and some are more respectful and considerate than others

You have a point there. However speaking from personal experience I find that sometimes with multiple postings it can get so busy that I forget where I started :eek:

Another thing that happens of course is that threads go off on a tangent (nothing wrong with that:sneaky:) and the OP is almost out of the equation so there might not be such relevant posts to respond to?

Err, what was this thread about?:p

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Pete will have been showing as being online for the whole time I daresay as he never logs out so even if he hasn't been on a puter I expect the site log will show him as being not only on the puter but being on the site - or does it know when we press the 'off' button on the machine?

After a set time of inactivity, (I think it is 30mins or it may be 60) .. the site logs you off.

PMs.
You are notified both on-site and by email, so even if logged out you get the Email .. as a matter of courtesy I try to reply as soon as convenient.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
...............PMs.
You are notified both on-site and by email, so even if logged out you get the Email .. as a matter of courtesy I try to reply as soon as convenient.

Exactly - am off work at the moment and someone else is dealing with my email. Over 150 unread messages, which is 150 clients not responded to :mad: Not my problem at the moment as most clients know what is happening, but it is simply shoddy.

Same principle applies to private email and to PM's - a prompt reply (with a short apology if a few days late if appropriate) is the courteous way to go. Basic good manners - old fashioned but it is the way to do things. Just hate it when people email me for some advice on something such as fuel. Advice given, taking a lot of time and not even an acknowledgement............ Just plain rude.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back