anybody swapped/shared their m/h with our antipodean cousins (1 Viewer)

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
or know of a way that you can?
we're off on honeymoon in the new year and are wondering if we can swop whilst we're out there.
bound to be some aussies/kiwis coming over next summer for the RWC who might fancy a swop!

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I was sure I read something on year in the last few weeks which was from a New Zealand member asking about an exchange. I will see if I can find it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We swopped houses and cars with a couple from Perth Oct13 for 6 months which included a caravan. We used Homesforexchange.com . Since we registered two years ago we have had 60 swop requests . We did not include our motorhome as i think insurance would be an issue, getting them insured on our car was very difficult in the Aviva did it as additional drivers.
The only thing that caused any problems was that they got a speeding fine and points which at first came to me. It was a bit of a fad sorting this out from Oz

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Sorry, can't find it, using the likely words on the search feature. If it wasn't on here, then it may have been in one of the club magazines, but I can't remember which or where I read it.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Friend of mine has done house swaps for almost 30 years, often swapping cars too.
She's never had a problem adding the people taking her house to the car insurance. In all the swaps she's done---well over 100, she broke one item in a house she was staying in and only one item has ever been broken in her home. The car has never been damaged or misused.
I can't recall the name of the organisation she's a member of.
I'm sure it must be possible to swap Motorhomes if you can swap cars.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
I have some Spanish friends who have swapped their Motorhome with a family from New Zealand for 6 weeks at a time. Also swapped with a Canadian family for about 8 weeks.
Never had any problems with insurance or breakages.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I have some Spanish friends who have swapped their Motorhome with a family from New Zealand for 6 weeks at a time. Also swapped with a Canadian family for about 8 weeks.
Never had any problems with insurance or breakages.
Its only in the UK that insurance is a problem especially with drivers from outside the EU . We mainly insure the driver to drive a car where as abroad they insure the vehicle and then add the drivers

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
A guy I knew did a swap with an elderly Canadian couple, both had houses and motorhomes. The elderly Canadian bloke took ill whilst over here and hardly used the motorhome but stayed in with the heating cranked up to full for two months, the gas bill was impressive.

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
We loaned our 4WD MH in Australia to some friends who live in Germany. The insurance was no problem.
We are now using (in Europe) the German registered MH that they own. Again, no problem with insurance.

A level of trust is required.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
A guy I knew did a swap with an elderly Canadian couple, both had houses and motorhomes. The elderly Canadian bloke took ill whilst over here and hardly used the motorhome but stayed in with the heating cranked up to full for two months, the gas bill was impressive.
When it was 40 in Perth i am sure that the air conditioning was going full tilt .
The strange thing we found on return was they had used our computer to download photo,s to dropbox which were still on there , and to see them in our house and car wearing some of our clothes(we had told them they could) was a bit odd

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back