Extreme Danger!! Dometic & Norcold Fridge Fires (1 Viewer)

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
Please forgive me if you all know about this problem, but if it saves either one RV or even a life, I feel it is something worth repeating every so often. Many fridges since around 1996 have a potential fire risk, it is caused by corrosion within the cooling coils which contain Ammonia, this causes the coils to rust and therefore cause a leak. The resultant escape of Ammonia is in the form normally of a atomised mist, this is highly volatile and causes fires. Many RV's have ended up as just a shell, others badly damaged. All RV's that come into us for a service or other work we check to ensure they are not effected, if they are we fit a kit to them FREE OF CHARGE which reduces the risk considerably of this ever happening. It should be something your supplying RV dealer can also do, but if not we would be happy to check yours out if you are our way. If you cannot get your own dealer/service agent to assist, please email me your fridge serial number, model and make. You should find this on the inside edge of the door inside the fridge, some also have them in the outside cover as well. It would be best if you could email them to our info@ address as I have the model numbers at work. Kindest regards, Simon

One last thing, we have a customer who has lost a rear wheel liner from a 1996 Chevrolet C Class RV, it is the 8 stud pattern and 16". Shame is we purchased a set set some while ago to use as spares for customers who lost them, trouble is it seems every bugger has lost the rear ones and we have no rear ones left. If you have one that we/you can pass onto the customer I am sure he would be very happy, if not we will buy another set to split up as spares, just that this is not the most cost effective way of doing it. Please let me know if you can help or you too need a wheel liner. Thank you!

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
our fridge done something simalar to this and we had the amonia escape into the fridge when we opend it it neary knocked you out left open the fridge till it cleared and have never used the fridge as intended since as it seems expensive to replace the fridge unless you some one who can repar them and re gas them other wise it stays as a cuboard

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
I had to replace my Norcold a year or so ago for the same reason, once you've had a leak of ammonia the cooling unit is usualy knackered , which is not a cheap option to replace.
I replaced the the old fridge with a new Norcold imported from the US at £1250 if I remember correctly

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I had to replace my Norcold a year or so ago for the same reason, once you've had a leak of ammonia the cooling unit is usualy knackered , which is not a cheap option to replace.
I replaced the the old fridge with a new Norcold imported from the US at £1250 if I remember correctly

Anybody interested we have a 12 month old one removed from a MH as new owner wanted a different fridge. Its like brand new. very little use...... £500

Give Darren or Ian a ring

Peter

Attachments

• fridge.jpg
    fridge.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
M

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
Fridge Problem

our fridge done something simalar to this and we had the amonia escape into the fridge when we opend it it neary knocked you out left open the fridge till it cleared and have never used the fridge as intended since as it seems expensive to replace the fridge unless you some one who can repar them and re gas them other wise it stays as a cuboard

Good evening, I am really sorry for the delay in responding to you, have been away. In short the answer is yes they can be replaced. More often than not the cooling coil that you can see from outside develops a type of hairy fur on it, this is one of the final signs in its degredation, it is effectively rustings which is accelerated by the contents being ammonia, not helped by the fact that the paint used on the cooling coil is THIN, very thin. We have just replaced the cooling coil on a Dometic unit for a customer and fitted the kit. I seem to recall the coil etc was circa £500 ish fitted etc, but whatever, cheaper than a fridge fire. If you are taking your fridge out anyway, why not give it a brush on the coil and some good paint, Holts used to do a grey paint called something like Galvaprime, that may just show how very old I am, we use a Dinitrol product RC 800 which DOES kill the rust, coats and protects it and can be overpainted. If you need some more detail let me know. Once again sorry for the delay. Simon

OP
OP
M

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
Fridge Problem

mine is an absorption fridge (dometic) is that the same ? :Eeek:

Good evening, once again sorry to you also for the delay in getting back on your point. Yes yours is the normal type with possible problem. Check out the previous reply for details on it. Kindest regards, Simon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back