Italy / Sicily (1 Viewer)

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Anyone got advice / recommendations (good or bad) - Thinking of going down there for 10 weeks or so from next week, so it's a bit of a spur of the moment thing.

As always, all advice welcomed, and my thanks in advance.

Papa

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Sicily is beautiful and will be warmer than the mainlaid but if you are looking for sunshine Italy is not the best place to go this time of year. There are some lovely beaches at cattolica (Adriatic coast) and there used to be a wonderful sea food restaurant right on the beach.

But its been a few years as Italy got too expensive for us for package holidays so it may have all changed by now.

If you visit any of the glass factories in Venice and get a free souvenir, or even if you buy something if it is not wrapped in front of you, unwrap it before you go, to make sure its not a second or scrap shape.

Be sure to lock up any women you may take with you the rumours about italians are quite true xxxxxx On a more serious note if any women are travelling with you dont let them walk at night alone, Seriously women walking at night, especially tourists are often stopped by gigolos and age doesnt matter xxxxx

Have a fantastic time xxxx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Be sure to lock up any women you may take with you the rumours about italians are quite true xxxxxx On a more serious note if any women are travelling with you dont let them walk at night alone, Seriously women walking at night, especially tourists are often stopped by gigolos and age doesnt matter xxxxx

Have a fantastic time xxxx

Sounds a bit like Turkey :Eeek::ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Papa.
Hope your enjoying yourself. Cant help with the question but just wanted to say high.::bigsmile:

derek h

Free Member
May 29, 2008
Funster No
Anyone got advice / recommendations (good or bad) - Thinking of going down there for 10 weeks or so from next week, so it's a bit of a spur of the moment thing.

As always, all advice welcomed, and my thanks in advance.

Papa

Don't go!
I've still got to work.
T'antfair :cry:
Derek

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
You'll have a great time - so much to see and do - kept us busy for same length of time last winter - people friendly and so welcoming - get off the beaten track - Sicily has it all - history from Arabs, Greeks, Romans, magnificent coastal and inland scenery, great food and markets - don't believe any rumours to the contrary.

::bigsmile:
Keith

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Just got time to post this:

OK here we go - a few ideas:

When you come off the ferry you can turn right and go along the north coast or south and along the east coast towards Catania. There are motorways in both directions and it might be advisable to take the motorway at first. Just have to thread your way through town first - it's busy but doable.

We went south but the nicest campsite is Rais Gerbi on the north coast at Finale near Cefalu - its on the right as you leave in a westerly direction N38.02225 E14.15489 say hello to Rosalba.

If you go south to Catania then Camping Jonio is most peoples choice it's north of Catania N37.53277 E15.11951 and can be expensive for short stays if you don't belong to ASCI. You can bus into Catania.

If you want to break the journey before Catania then stop at Camping La Focetta Sicula at Alessio Siculo N37.93104 E15.35612.

Inbetween the two Taormina is worth visiting if you can park - they don't ley MHs park at the top - we know of people who overnighted in the car park of the funiculare and on the coast.

For Etna - you can go up by 4x4 or cable car (personal preference 4x4) - quite expensive and overnight in the Refugio Sapienza car park - make sure your heating is working! This is where you can ascend from.

If you want a campsite Camping Etna at Nicolosi N37.62262 E15.00869 is about half way up to the Refugio.

I recommend visiting Siracusa and there is a Sosta right in the centre of town with all facilities and easy road access and short walk to the Archeological sites, museum and somewhat further to Ortygia - but worth it. Parcheggio Von Platen, Via Augusto Von Platen N37.07674 E15.28735

From Siracusa you can get to Noto (The Golden City) by train and its worth it. Otherwise drive there and look for Noto Parking - its signposted from most directions but is small although I'm sure Michele or one of his sisters will help you park. It has electric and a new but one/two person toilet block, good dump and outside showere BRRR!
It's in a lemon grove -when you arrive it will be closed just telephone (328 8065260 380 5058898 320 9778979 340 7058151) the number is by the gate or hang around - word seems to get to them somehow. One of the family will drive you to town and pick you up again. Say hello to Michele for me. N36.88369 E15.08525

On the South East coast a lot of folks (mainly German/Swiss) with large vans aim for Punta Broccetto N36.81742 E14.46661 (sorry can't remember the name of the site) - its the neatest cleanest site you'll find (own toilet facilities) but without transport that's it - a beachside site little else in easy reach.

Agrigento - worth a visit for the ruins - camping Vallei dei Templei should be easy for you N37.26963 E13.58306

Secca Grande and Camping Kameni N37.43843 E13.24530 will have room for you amongst there small number of pitches but its only good for an overnighter.

Marinella-Selinunte - we thought the remains here better than Agrigento - there's a road behind the car park where we wild camped along with a Swiss couple - police came by never bothered it's a very quiet village out os season N37.58299 E12.83525

There's a nice site at Petrosina - take the coast road - camping Biscione N37.70127 E12.47794 - we were the only ones on it for Christmas - they gave us the keys - phone if you need anything. Nice family - there's one restaurant in the village - good place to relax.

Do try and run up the West coast to Trapani - Marsala worth a visit -we wild camped along here if you want just one spot to wild camp try the car park next to the little ferry that goes to Mothia Island - there's a couple - we used this one N37.85604 E12.47731 This is the most Arabic area of Sicily with salt pans etc.

From Trapani don't miss Erice - fantastic views - steep climb up but motorhome parking below town.

San Vito lo Capo worth a visit - lovely pensinsula - you can camp at a Sosta its on the right before you get to town N38.16212 E12.73665 don't be tempted to use one of the campsites - they are very dark in winter with lots of trees for summer shade.

The Zingaro National Park is a wonderful place you can approach from San Vito - we wild camped at the entrance - N38.12523 E12.78778 magical wild coastline or from the south near Scopello it's a narrow road but pretty with the tuns fisheries - I saw a big Hymer doing it - the village is worth a visit but only approach from the south.

For Palermo you can either camp at Camping Degi Ulivi, Via Pegaso N38.19824 E13.28051 that has trains into Palermo or, if you are brave (and we were) try Green Parking N38.10962 E13.34253 in Palermo itself - you're right in the middle of town and can walk everywhere its a sosta with electric, water dump and a single shower but has 24-hour security - we thought it excellent whereas the train journey can be a bit wearisome if you've been walking round all day. All the guidebooks say don't drive in Palermo - by the time you've driven through Italy and round Sicily it's not so bad - maybe do it on a Sunday?
Palermo kept us entertained for five days. Loads to see and if you are adventurous get off the main streets into the back alleys and see the real life. Heady mix of elegant shops, decaying palaces, amazing churches interesting people. We went everywhere and had no problems just warm welcomes.

And so your back to Cefalu (don't miss) and the Rais Gerbi camp at Finale.

I've missed a great deal of our tour out - Piazza Armerina amazing Roman Mosaics, Corleone - 193 Mafia murders, etc etc but you need to make your own discoveries. Sicily has a lot to offer - hugely varied - try and get into the inland mountains. If your there in February go to Acireale for Carnivale it's beyond description!!

Can't do anymore - it will all be in my next book!!

Have a great trip - let me know how you get on.
::bigsmile:
Keith

2escapees

Deleted User
Sicily and the heel of Italy should be great. Try this website for sites in the area there are some great sites in the SE corner of Sicily.

Try Alan Rogers Camping Guides - Camping in France, Spain, Italy, Britain

If you coming through the Loire Valley lets us know we could provide an overnight stop if we are here.

Just dug out my notes from our visit last year and would suggest the following sites in Sicily:

Camping Sabbiadora at Avola
Camping Scarabeo

If you want to visit Florence then Camping Michelangelo is the best with a good bus service to town
For Rome I would suggest Roma Flash they take camping cheques
and finally for Venice Camping Fusina is great with a regular boat service to San Marco

bon voyage

Last edited by a moderator:

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
in nov 2005 we found a sosta that isn't listed on any of the websites we look at.

ardore marina on the east coast about 50k from the bottom of italy. i can dig the sat nav details out if you want them.

sosta is on a 1 kilometre esplanade. a grassy area in front of houses with water & disposal point. room for about 6 MHs.

it's a 25 metre walk to he beach and in the afternoons the beach is deserted. in the mornings the only people there are the fishermen.

we found italy to be cheaper the further south you go. in ardore marina we had 2 coffes, 2 bottled beers & 6 small pastries for 5 euros something.

lots of sostas & places to wildcamp. in 6 weeks we only had 4 nights on sites.

OP
OP
Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Many thanks to everyone for their comprehensive knowledge & for sharing it!

Already got autoroute out and plotting the places mentioned!

Delighted to report that "Harvey" passed his first MOT yesterday (£53.10 @ VOSA in Taunton) without a hic-cough - they even re-checked the emissions as there was so little being produced it was untrue!

Chow, Grande Puffo
(with shrug of shoulders and arms mostly outstretched...)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back