Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Why have I started getting four photos at the top of the page each time I open the forum and how do I get rid of them? These annoying random photographs or adverts take time to load and slow my system down, likely also use extra data so I would like to be rid of them please. On my small screen they are too small to identify what they are pictures of anyway so are a complete waste of time. Thank you.

OP
OP
simply

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
It is like the advertising you have to put up with on other sites until you cough up the membership fees, but I am a paid up member here on MotorhomeFun !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Click on Media or Showcase then click on Marked forums read in the top right corner, then will get rid of them to more appear and yes it is annoying, if I wanted to see other peoples photos etc I would click on them, I don't need prompting. Sir Jim please note. :mad:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We always did have random photos on the home page. I quite like it, but your points are noted. The photos are fully responsive so if your screen is so small you can't see them, then they will be using very little if any of your bandwidth though I'll keep an eye on it.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
How can I stop this random media appearing whenever I open the webpage. Some may like it and thats fine for them, personally I am not in the least interested in what I have seen so far and I don't want it imposed on me every time I want to visit...

Any ideas please, and please don't suggest I don't have to look at it its right in my face.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We always did have random photos on the home page. I quite like it, but your points are noted. The photos are fully responsive so if your screen is so small you can't see them, then they will be using very little if any of your bandwidth though I'll keep an eye on it.

"We always did have random photos on the home page" Not so in our face and unavoidable as they are now Jim, something has changed, can't it be changed back?

Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
Today is the first time I've seen that - maybe because I had to sign in today but I quite liked it but then I like looking at photos...

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Oh, yes. Not seen those before, because I have 'Recent Posts' as my home page on here.

I've picked a good day, because the random set I've got are some rather fine landscapes, but I can see they would be annoying if you were browsing on a phone, a small tablet, or a slow or restricted connection.

I suspect the forum software could detect if you were using a phone, because phone web browsers announce themselves as such. Not so sure about tablets though & I doubt connection type can be detected.

The only suggestion I can make is to bookmark a different page as the starting point.

Try this: Broken Link Removed

Save it directly - don't follow it & save where it takes you, or it will change on you.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
This annoys me, pushing media at me I do not want. I don't particularly like the red flags for new media etc. but unwanted content I can do without.

Jim, how do I stop these photos appearing please?

:rolleyes: First time seen today........... also had the hassle of having to re-sign in:(
Agree with above post Jim................ when I want to look for photo's I know where to find them.:whistle:

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I don't see any photos.. just sponsors adverts which can be blocked with Adblock if annoying

Thats fine for you but I and others do see photos and I am running add block (which does block adverts)so that is not the answer. The answer is that they should be removed from the front page and then those who want to see them can do so, those who don't, won't have to, quite apart from the data wastage issue.

Last time was an out of focus helicopter, two tents and two dogs, not great examples and I appreciate they are random, I just don't want them, neither do I want unknown people grinning at me from some event I didn't attend and I don't want to see other people holiday snaps. If I did, as has been said, I could look for myself.

Not being Meldrewish, simply giving my point of view.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thats fine for you but I and others do see photos and I am running add block (which does block adverts)so that is not the answer. The answer is that they should be removed from the front page and then those who want to see them can do so, those who don't, won't have to, quite apart from the data wastage issue.

never said it was the answer.. just said I don't see random photos (yet) ...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If I changed every aspect of the site that someone doesn't like we wouldn't have a site, so as ever I go with what I like. Most people trust me to get it about right. I like the red indicators they are staying, the photos, I'm not so sure about yet and your points are duly noted. Thanks.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
As far as the random media goes it causes me no problem because.. like others I automatically go to the recent postings page.
I have had a look though and the bandwidth they use is minimal.. More importantly I find them a bit ugly in that format and they look a bit "added on" ...
Fwiw I think the red indicators are great though.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
ah ok, I see them now in the Forum Home page.. never go there , hence not seeing them. I use 'recent posts' as the book mark.

so simple answer is to use 'recent posts 'as your Fun home page

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I had never noticed them before because, like Jim, I never go to Forum home. It's straight to "new posts" for me. I have to say I quite like them. I think I may start clicking on "home" once in a while just so see what appears (y)

EDIT: Looking at what else is on the "home" page the extra bandwidth used to load 4 little photos is going to be so small as to be hardly measurable.

ANOTHER EDIT: I've just realised that they change every time you click "forum home" I like that even more (y)(y)(y)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
What a lot of fuss about nothing, a few random pics , if you are reading the forum you are not looking at photos, if you don't want to see them just click on the Yellow Flag at the top then you cut them out. For £10 a year some people expect a awful lot.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Have to agree Carol. I love photos that people have taken even if it of their grandchildren who I don't know, the children mean a lot to them, and they I consider my friends as they are funsters... I am interested in each and every one and love to see what means a lot to them....

I do get fed up with squabbling over what is on the page, what buttons are missing, which buttons are excessive, and even with all Jim has going on at the moment he is doing his best to try and please the majority of people ... he cannopt possibly please every single one ... to be honest, if I were in his shoes I would just please the ones that don't moan all the time and who appreciate what a lot of work goes into this site trying to keep us all as happy as possible.

Long may it continue.

OP
OP
simply

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
What a lot of fuss about nothing, a few random pics , if you are reading the forum you are not looking at photos, if you don't want to see them just click on the Yellow Flag at the top then you cut them out. For £10 a year some people expect a awful lot.

I am glad you are happy Carol and that you are apparently not having any technical difficulties today. Perhaps you will care to remind me to tell you it is "nothing" when you experience problems, because that is not my usual manner so I will likely be understanding .
Since the random media appeared it is taking soooo long to load each page the website is almost impossible for me to use.
I can't find a "yellow flag" on my screen nor any other way to "cut them out".

For my £10 a year I expect the site to be at least functional, if not totally favourable, and I do expect fellow Funsters' posts to be at least tolerant if not sympathetic, and I certainly do not expect to see posts that trivialise fellow members' difficulties as "fuss about nothing"!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you look at the top of the page even on a small phone there is a Motorhome and. flag with Fun on it click on it and it will by pass the photos (I thought that was a helpful comment)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Wait until the naked men and woman start randomly appearing!

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If I changed every aspect of the site that someone doesn't like we wouldn't have a site, so as ever I go with what I like. Most people trust me to get it about right. I like the red indicators they are staying, the photos, I'm not so sure about yet and your points are duly noted. Thanks.
Go on tell em Jim, tell em!:D

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Stating a preference, is a hardly lot of fuss about nothing and I don't see that only £10 a year precludes stating a preference. I don't 'think that myself and others saying we don't like something is moaning all the time, neither is it squabbling.

I would mention that the vast majority of the time Jim gets it right but even he is not sure about the photos. I certainly would not want him to change the aspect of the site every time someone doesn't like something, just to bear in mind what others say when thinking about making changes and deciding whether they will become permanent or not. I don't think thats too onerous a request.

By the way Carol, thanks for the tip on the motorhome flag click to bypass the photos, it was useful, but of course I, and no doubt others weren't aware it it. We are now.

Last edited:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
There's only one thing for it...

Preview

"FIGHT"

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Stating a preference, is a hardly lot of fuss about nothing and I don't see that only £10 a year precludes stating a preference. I don't 'think that myself and others saying we don't like something is moaning all the time, neither is it squabbling.

I would mention that the vast majority of the time Jim gets it right but even he is not sure about the photos. I certainly would not want him to change the aspect of the site every time someone doesn't like something, just to bear in mind what others say when thinking about making changes and deciding whether they will become permanent or not. I don't think thats too onerous a request.

By the way Carol, thanks for the tip on the motorhome flag click to bypass the photos, it was useful, but of course I, and no doubt others weren't aware it it. We are now.

Jim has mentioned the flag before, as I have but these things are easily missed with the amount of posts on the forum so always useful for a reminder and I thought it could be of use to Simply.

I was not saying that anyone in particular was moaning but these threads soon become knocking threads and I for one can not see the point in that, and when Fun is used to its full potential with discounts / rally's. / information £10 is not a lot (and of course the banter :rolleyes: :Smile:).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back