Why Are The Cross Channel Ferries So Expensive? (1 Viewer)

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
I have been crossing the Channel for years now with a 7 metre van 2 adults plus dog and never paid more than £100 (round figures) return. Period January until April.
I would have expected, with the fall in oil prices that ferry costs would remain the same or fall.
Todays enquiry reveals £124 DFDS yet a pop up advert invites a long term stay for £35.00 for a car+9.
Are we being seen off again?

Rant over!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The new ECA (emission control area) sulphur regulations have a lot to do with the prices going up. Ferries will not be able to burn residual fuels (heavy fuel oil) as before but will have to burn distillate fuel (diesel) instead to meet the legal requirements. Distillates are considerably more expensive

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It's a free market and supply and demand is king.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cydersyd

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
The new ECA (emission control area) sulphur regulations have a lot to do with the prices going up. Ferries will not be able to burn residual fuels (heavy fuel oil) as before but will have to burn distillate fuel (diesel) instead to meet the legal requirements. Distillates are considerably more expensive

Acceptable and sensible answer, thank you Dux Delux.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Wot he said

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks - ships bunker fuel quality is a major part of my job.........;)

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
We tried to book a return crossing from Portsmouth to Caen during half-term at the end of this month. We wanted 2 x 4 bed cabins for 4 adults and 1 child for overnight crossing with our 6.5 metre van.

I am a member of the Brittany Ferries Club Voyage club thingy so I get a discount. Even so, they wanted £722.00 for the return crossing. Needless to say, we are not going and will be in Cornwall and Dorset instead!

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
All makes the tunnel more inviteing at about £180 return, no need for cabins or owt, can be there in less than an hour from going through the gates

Yeah, but for us it's 500 miles plus extra and 2 nights on sites to get to the same place :(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yeah, but for us it's 500 miles plus extra and 2 nights on sites to get to the same place :(
Realise that but even so £100 of diesel and two free aires is still a long way off that ferry price, plus the cost of sites in Devon and Cornwall and you won't get there without useing a fair drop of diesel, not knocking your decision , everyone is entitled to do as they like , just com pairing costs;)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I was reading elsewhere that whilst DFDS and myferrylink have traditionally been the cheapest operators from Dover in recent times, suddenly P&O are offering better fares just at the moment.

Not sure if it's true, but worth checking. Also see what either of the clubs (CC & C&CC) or Alan Rogers (part of the CC I believe) can offer.

Mike

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I was reading elsewhere that whilst DFDS and myferrylink have traditionally been the cheapest operators from Dover in recent times, suddenly P&O are offering better fares just at the moment.

Not sure if it's true, but worth checking. Also see what either of the clubs (CC & C&CC) or Alan Rogers (part of the CC I believe) can offer.

Mike
P and o were the cheapest we could find in May , haven't checked since as we prefer tunnel with tesco vouchers;)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use brittany ferries ,this year portsmouth to santander /return santander to plymouth . with the clubvoyage 389quid .have to play around abit with the dates . thats for seats not cabins .
but living in cornwall i cant drive to dover and through france there and back for that money . its 350mls to dover .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So, your holiday only starts at your destination then.......mine starts when I turn the key on our drive no matter where we are going.

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Even before the new emission regs I could never see how it was possible to run a ferry at the old rates, and at the same time make enough money to replace the ship. Pay staff costs onshore as well as onboard, pay fuel costs and depreciation costs. Then whatever port costs they have to pay both sides, insurance etc etc.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I wish I had an exciting job like that.

It is......

Even before the new emission regs I could never see how it was possible to run a ferry at the old rates, and at the same time make enough money to replace the ship. Pay staff costs onshore as well as onboard, pay fuel costs and depreciation costs. Then whatever port costs they have to pay both sides, insurance etc etc.

As they said of the airline business, the best way to become a millionaire is to start out as a billionaire....... same for shipping at the moment. The exception is liquid gas carriers and chemical ships. Bulk and container ships; lucky if you can cover your costs. Ferries not much different

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I'm lucky I don't have to calculate these extra costs into my freedom of movement around Europe. The only time I might need to is if I visit the UK, which is getting less likely due to diminishing Liberty and freedom, and the rising restrictive oppressive Ban- it culture.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I would expect that being part of the 'wonderful' trade community which is the EU,that the most money would be made on freight especially unaccompanied trailers,and that us mere citizens were nothing of any importance.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That is quite true, but you would think that the tunnel ought to be cheaper than the ferry, surely no where near the overheads and no weather disruptions, more crossings easier loading , no diesel costs going up and down less staff , I know it cost millions to build that they are trying to get back but the running cost must be no where near the ferries

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Strange I find ferry cheap especially after using the tunnel for the last 4 years we've just returned to ferry.
Booked last week for November return 7.6 metre van 2 adults £92 compared to tunnel £198.
September we did the same ferry £90 return tunnel £280.
We are big fans of the tunnel but cannot justify the extra expense, don't mind paying a bit more but it's got silly now.
Both times booked through myferry

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Try pricing a crossing from Larne - Stranraer and you'll find out what expensive is!!!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Still think the tunnel is cheap as opposed to staying on camp sites in England , from where we are, it's about 220 miles to France , over 300 to Cornwall, so that's a saving straight away then you've got campsites say £30 a night so for six nights here you can be in France on free aires , better weather , better food and cheaper wine, and many other stuff I can't think of at the moment , buts enough to be going on with, and cheaper in the long run.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back