Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
The wiper on the passenger side is marking the windscreen because it travels further than the other two. the arm on the inside is shorter than the other two so I thought to swap the outside inner arms. Has anyone done this or has removed them from the panel

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Assuming you are talking about the three-blade setup on A-class Hymers (late 90's to 2005).
The solution is to remove the wiper arm and put a slight twist in it so that the blade sits perpendicular to the screen at the near-side extreme of its travel. I did it by clamping the u-shaped part in a vice and applying twist with a large adjustable spanner closed on the shaft of the wiper arm. I cushioned the arm with a piece of sheet rubber before clamping.
Also, I suggest you get commercial wiper blades, rather then the flimsy devices sold for cars. They are a Volvo Truck arm and take a blade - part number 20826597. Note that this is longer than the original blade. If yoou can get a shorter version that would be ideal, but I use the longer blade and have adjusted the arms so the blades overlap at rest. The sweep works fine.

OP
OP
Portland

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Thanks for the info, I was going to remove the mechanism and change the two outer spindles to reduce the swept area as the nearside inner arm is 10mm shorter than the offside. So I will now try your method(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Sorry to butt in:whistle: But I have a three blade, right hand drive Hymer and the drivers wiper looks it could do with being longer, I cannot see a problem but is this possible??(y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As mentioned above, I have longer than standard wiper blades on all three arms. They are set to overlap when parked (needs a little adjustment to the position of the arms on their spindles to effect this). So long as the blades don't touch the top of the screen - all should be well. See my earlier post for the part number of the Volvo truck blade that the arms were originally designed for.

The sweep for the driver is never going to be optimal for a RHD version as the setup was designed for LHD (like mine!). Just fit the longest blade you can reasonably cope with.

OP
OP
Portland

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Did you change both the arms and blades or just the blades? I have checked with a supplier and they say the part no is for the blades

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
No need to change the arms. The standard units fitted by Hymer are from a Volvo truck - they normally have 'Volvo' embossed on them. the part number I quoted is indeed for the blades that fit the 'standard Hymer' arms.

OP
OP
Portland

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Many thanks I will go and get them but will but same length as standard IF I can

OP
OP
Portland

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
No need to change the arms. The standard units fitted by Hymer are from a Volvo truck - they normally have 'Volvo' embossed on them. the part number I quoted is indeed for the blades that fit the 'standard Hymer' arms.
I have done as you suggested and they seem ok now, I will change the blades at the first opportunity. Many thanks :clap:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Whahoo gonna cost a bit:LOL: are these the long or short ones?

Another Hymer question for you Philip, I keep on leaving the electric step down but it accurs to me that it should retact when I switch on the ignition, do you know if this is so?o_O

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Tim, step retraction via the ignition depends on your model/year/specification.

Our electric step has to be operated manually, but there is an audio warning buzzer which operates as soon as the engine is started. A right annoying thing it is too...........but very effective. ;)

I too have the LHD wiper set up using Volvo parts. I just buy replacement blades of the same length as the originals.

Cheers,

Jock.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
My step doesn't retract with the ignition but, like Jock, there is a warning buzzer that sounds if the step is out when the engine is started. If yours has this, but there is no sound, it is possibe that the buzzer has dropped off its mounting - it's just stuck on. If this is the case you need to track down the buzzer and reinstate it. It's a small plastic cube with two wires coming from it and louvres in the plastic front. I think it is normally close to the EBL - in my case under the driver's (LHD) seat.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Whahoo gonna cost a bit:LOL: are these the long or short ones?
The price seems about right - last time I bought them they were about £18 each. The part number is the same so I guess they are the longer ones. It's pi**ing down here at the mo so I'm not inclined to go out and measure!

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks guys
To be honest I'd rather it retracted on its own, can't be to complecated to wire up surly but might be easier for me to just wire in another switch up by the drivers seat:rolleyes:

:D:DNo no need to go out in the rain mate I'll do that, I need to find out the longest I can get away with anyway:whistle:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
On mine, there is a switch by the driver's seat so if the buzzer sounds, I can retract the step without leaving the seat. It was a standard fitting on my Star-Line; to the right of the steering wheel on the dash. Are you sure there is no switch fitted to yours? It's a simple black rocker switch - but it is unmarked.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back