LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi All

The SD memory card slot isn't working:

I've checked in the Device Manager, it says all is ok and working normally, I put media into the slot and it saw it .. just to double check I asked it to update the driver which it did saying I already had the best driver. I've also tried rebooting with media in the slot.
The media is definately ok, as I uploaded direct from the camera using the usb cable.

but In Windows Explorer 'Computer' panel it's not there, nor does Adobe Elements see it to upload pictures..

It was ok prior to reformatting, any ideas ?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Welcome to window Jim:ROFLMAO:

Is this a Built in SD drive? If it is I have no idea what might be wrong, I would have suggested re-installing the driver:RollEyes: I know that with a USB drive that is not being recognised, trying another USB port usually fixes it.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
You could try removing the device in device manager and rebooting...
If windows re-detects it and installs the drivers etc. that would point to the hardware being okay.

Try different cards in the sd slot
Try the sd card in another pc or reader (not camera)

Where was it reformatted? PC or Camera?

How big is the card (in gb:winky:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Welcome to window Jim:ROFLMAO:

Is this a Built in SD drive? If it is I have no idea what might be wrong, I would have suggested re-installing the driver:RollEyes: I know that with a USB drive that is not being recognised, trying another USB port usually fixes it.

I LOVE windows, it keeps me from getting bored :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes, it's a built in slot on the front of the lappy..

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Windoze is sometimes twitchy about where the card was formatted - these otherwise inexplicable issues are sometimes solved by reformatting in the PC you are wanting to use to read the card, and not by reformatting in camera. No real reason for this, but it is a known issue :winky:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You could try removing the device in device manager and rebooting...
If windows re-detects it and installs the drivers etc. that would point to the hardware being okay.

Try different cards in the sd slot
Try the sd card in another pc or reader (not camera)

Where was it reformatted? PC or Camera?
How big is the card (in gb:winky:)

Hi Brian

Removed device and reinstalled ok
Tried two cards, a 1g and .5g ,

When I try to format either of the two SD cards on the PC I get an error
see error messages below from the disc manager, I've obviously tried refreshing, rebooting etc to no avail

Windoze is sometimes twitchy about where the card was formatted - these otherwise inexplicable issues are sometimes solved by reformatting in the PC you are wanting to use to read the card, and not by reformatting in camera. No real reason for this, but it is a known issue :winky:

Thanks for your suggestion..

Link Removed

Link Removed

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Just a thought Jim, perhaps you should run a full defrag on the harddisk of the lappy - sometimes that solves this kind of issue. Have you run your Registry repair software lately as well?

Laurie

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Brian

Removed device and reinstalled ok
Tried two cards, a 1g and .5g ,

When I try to format either of the two SD cards on the PC I get an error
see error messages below from the disc manager, I've obviously tried refreshing, rebooting etc to no avail

Thanks for your suggestion..

Link Removed

Link Removed

Hi Jim.

Can you post a copy of the event log entry here or email the log to me?

Cheers.

Control Panel\Administrative tools\Event Viewer\System..Save as .csv please?

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi , goodmorning

I think I've found the problem..

In device manager, near the bottom is
Storage Volumes,>
Generic Volume, This has the yellow triangle symbol, when you open this it has this error;
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

There is no forthcoming solution from Microsoft ..

I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, update driver etc etc but it still comes back with the error.

I Googled this error and found lots of posts on several forums but no solution..

Suspect damaged driver ?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
And you've downloaded the original vista drivers pack and it still fails?

Link Removed

JUST WONDERING WHETHER A RECENT MICROSOFT HARDWARE UPDATE HAS CHANGED THE DRIVER AND NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES IT'S UNINSTALLED, IT KEEPS PICKING UP THE WRONG ONE.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm afraid not , TMobile won't let me access this page nor let me download from Sony, I did a complete reformat and restore last week, not sure if the slot was working then or not, I seldom use it.

I think I'll leave it for the moment until I can get a decent internet connection, using tmobile is painstakingly slow. :Sad:

Thanks to everyone who has given assistance and advice, I can live without the slot..

Cheers

Jim

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
All the Best Jim.

It appears to be around 59.3 Mb so perhaps a parkup outside MacDonalds might be in order.

Quite apt it's called MACdonalds eh?:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Dead Sony VAIO

Well, it had to happen to me, yesterday the Sony started to act weird, it was as if it had glue in the gearbox instead of oil, slow slow slow.. even windose explorer took for ever to load.. so, having backed up my data previously I thought the best bet was to reformat and put it all back to factory settings.. but that went really slow too taking all night to reach the Vista log in screen , then it 'hung up' and would go no further.

I tried rebooting into safe mode, same thing, taking for ever just to get the drivers loaded, by this time I'm thinking hardware failure, what else could be the problem..

So, I called Sony help line today, and all credit to them was speaking to a lovely Irish lady within 30 sec.. I explained the problem and she concurred that it was probably hardware failure. She tried a few restarts holding down F10 then a restart holding F2 .. all to no avail.. the Sony has died..

Turnaround repair time is five working days, it will be collected on Mon and hopefully back by Fri but to be frank, I've had enough of Vista and have no real appetite for it now, I'll stick with my trusty Mac .. I think I'll put the Sony up for sale. :Sad:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Turnaround repair time is five working days, it will be collected on Mon and hopefully back by Fri but to be frank, I've had enough of Vista and have no real appetite for it now, I'll stick with my trusty Mac .. I think I'll put the Sony up for sale. :Sad:

There's a lot of people think the Same way Jim.:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just find a copy of XP to put on it Jim, even if its only a modest specification it will beat your Mac hands down hardhat

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There's a lot of people think the Same way Jim.:thumb:

Well, I gave it a good try, eleven months with the Sony, it's not all bad, to be fair Vista has some nice features, or in Mac parlance.. feature rich :roflmto:

I also like using Microsoft Autoroute for planning and making my own POis and there is nothing on the market for the Mac except Route 66, but it's not a patch on Autoroute.. it's also out of date and not supported now.

Problem now is where to go when my G4 Powerbook needs replacing, I'm not enthusiastic about the new Macs with Intel ® 'inside' ... :RollEyes:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Well, I gave it a good try, eleven months with the Sony, it's not all bad, to be fair Vista has some nice features, or in Mac parlance.. feature rich :roflmto:

I also like using Microsoft Autoroute for planning and making my own POis and there is nothing on the market for the Mac except Route 66, but it's not a patch on Autoroute.. it's also out of date and not supported now.

Problem now is where to go when my G4 Powerbook needs replacing, I'm not enthusiastic about the new Macs with Intel ® 'inside' ... :RollEyes:

hi Jim, I thought that Macs were able to run Windows applications. Can the Macs not run autroute this way?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
hi Jim, I thought that Macs were able to run Windows applications. Can the Macs not run autroute this way?
Is that not a bit like buying a Bently, and sticking a Lada engine in it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Last edited:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi Jim

I believe the new Macs can... but not AFAIK on the G4 .. pre Intel days

Jim, the G4s CAN run XP - the software emulator is called VIRTUAL PC and can be purchased along with a licenced version of XP or XP Pro - it is easier to do so via the Intel Macs (and cheaper) but G4s have been able to run XP in this manner for years :Smile:

Bona fide Virtual PC packages pop up from time to time on ebay; we have one tucked away somewhere as well if I could just find it!!!. Just don't use it with Leopard - Tiger is stable enough to do so, though.

G4 laptops 17" are now a snip - cost arfound ÂŁ3k new with all the bells and whistles, and you can get nice examples under ÂŁ500. I don't want an Intel Mac either and will try to keep going with legacy Macs until I absolutely have to make the move!!

Laurie

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim, the G4s CAN run XP - the software emulator is called VIRTUAL PC and can be purchased along with a licenced version of XP or XP Pro - it is easier to do so via the Intel Macs (and cheaper) but G4s have been able to run XP in this manner for years :Smile:

Bona fide Virtual PC packages pop up from time to time on ebay; we have one tucked away somewhere as well if I could just find it!!!. Just don't use it with Leopard - Tiger is stable enough to do so, though.

G4 laptops 17" are now a snip - cost arfound ÂŁ3k new with all the bells and whistles, and you can get nice examples under ÂŁ500. I don't want an Intel Mac either and will try to keep going with legacy Macs until I absolutely have to make the move!!

Laurie

Laurie,
Thanks for reminding me about VPC and the warning about using it on Leopard ..

I had forgotten about it.. :Doh:

Is there any way of upgrading the G4 Powerbook, .. bigger drive or faster processor ?

Jim

Jim

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Laurie,
Thanks for reminding me about VPC and the warning about using it on Leopard ..

I had forgotten about it.. :Doh:

Is there any way of upgrading the G4 Powerbook, .. bigger drive or faster processor ?

Jim

Jim

Yes.....BUT very complicated to change the hard drive, so most people tend to use USB external harddrives instead. You can add memory I think up to 2GB on the G4 Powerbooks, but the processor is not upgradeable, just like most windoze laptops. To change the harddrive entails deconstructing the entire powerbook....very carefully....and can take several hours!!! I've changed HDD and upgraded the DVD drive - neither procedure is for the faint-hearted!! Memory is simpler, however. Again, lots of Mac owners tend to use plug-in USB peripherals like faster dvd writers etc due to the complicated set up involved in changing HDD or DVD drive:Sad: :Sad: Mac workshops will do the job smartly but its pricey, of course. I'm ok with Mac laptop repairs and upgrades now, but its quite daunting compared to Windoze laptops, that's for sure!!! Luckily, its worth it as the Mac G4s are just so much nicer than their Windoze counterparts.

Laurie

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks Laurie, much as I suspected..
I already have 2GB memory and use a WD 500GB fire-wire drive for back up and storage.. but a bigger HDD would be useful.. it's full to capacity, I need to move stuff onto the external drive.. :RollEyes:

It's strange being back on the Mac, no crashing or freezing ...:roflmto::roflmto:

Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It's strange being back on the Mac, no crashing or freezing ...:roflmto::roflmto:

Jim

And no Autoroute::bigsmile:

For Mac lovers and haters everywhere, this video is great::bigsmile:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE]YouTube - Madtv - Apple I-rack[/ame]

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As promised the Sony VIAO was returned today, 5 days from collection to return .. excellent service.

As I suspected it required a new hard drive and as a good will gesture they (Sony) included a free cleaning cloth ... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As promised the Sony VIAO was returned today, 5 days from collection to return .. excellent service.

As I suspected it required a new hard drive and as a good will gesture they (Sony) included a free cleaning cloth ... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Dont tell Sony, but can you not use it to clean the Hdd On your Mac:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back