LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Having driven on the continent for many years in or on most types of vehicles I have never forgotten which side of the road to drive on. Hesitated, yes, driven down the wrong side, no.

Until this summer, then I had a real close shave.

It was the first day of the holiday and I had travelled from the tunnel down to about an hour south of Rouen. Looking back it was one of those nightmare journeys where everything went wrong:
Delay on the tunnel.
Thunderstorms.
Roads closed meaning I had to go right through central Rouen.
Kids acting up.
Sat Nav playing silly irriots and locking up until rebooted. Turns out it was overheating.
Due to the sat nav locking up I took a single track road which got smaller and smaller.
Running late for the campsite we had booked.
I'm sure you all have been there.
My wife was joining us later in the holiday so I had no "wingman" to spot my mistake.

To get to the point of the story.
Having finally negotiated the single track road with both sides and the roof in the trees / bushes I pulled out onto a 2 way road and went on the wrong side. Coming round the next bend came face to face with another vehicle. We missed, just.

I have now carried out a little modification that I thought I would share:

I have used each indicator output from the towing relay to feed two secondary standard relays, one for each side, which in turn energise, via a switch, a loud buzzer.

When in the UK I leave the buzzer switch off and all is silent. When I go onto the continent I make the buzzer switch so that any time I use the indicators, whichever way, the buzzer goes with the indicators.

My theory is that the time I am most likely to get it wrong is at a junction. Approaching a junction I should be using the indicators and so the buzzer will be going to remind me to drive on the right. As I said, the buzzer is switched off in the UK, it is not a sound I am used to hearing so should help.

I think this should be particularly useful on the first day or so of the holiday as the buzzer is a "new" sound and the first day or so is when you are most likely to get it wrong.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Before pulling away out there I always repeat the mantra, "go right stay right" it seems to switch my headnav on.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think most of us have done that at least once.. but once you have had the 'close shave' it certainly focuses the mind in future.

Happened to me once, pulled out of a camp site , first think in the morning, brain not in gear and drove for about 1/2 mile on the left.. jezzzzzzz did it wake me up when I saw a truck coming toward me.. that was back in 1972 .. it has never happened again..

I've also seen stickers you can put on the steering wheel to remind you to Drive On The Right.. and most sat navs I think have a reminder that can be set to alert you when abroad.

some ideas here

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Funny enough I have not done it abroad (yet) but I remember a couple of years back we had been home a couple of Months from Spain, we had a few days away in the UK on leaving the site to come home I got on the Right side for quite a distance before oncomming traffic around a bend woke me up to my error :(:(:(

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, Like most of us ,I had scary episode in holland before I owned a satnav , took wrong turn into a single track road with sloping banks on either side of the track , seemed no problem until a dutch delivery van hurtled towards me , I automatically pulled over to the left only !!!! to see headlights blazing horn blaring van still coming quite fast , luckly I realised and pulled sharply over to the right just as he sped past me with horn still blaring!!!!!

May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
Been there done that and more than once. Yes very very scary. It really helps to have a passenger to remind you when necessary (but how do you switch them off when not required?).

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I think most of us have done that at least once.. but once you have had the 'close shave' it certainly focuses the mind in future.

Happened to me once, pulled out of a camp site , first think in the morning, brain not in gear and drove for about 1/2 mile on the left.. jezzzzzzz did it wake me up when I saw a truck coming toward me.. that was back in 1972 .. it has never happened again..

I've also seen stickers you can put on the steering wheel to remind you to Drive On The Right.. and most sat navs I think have a reminder that can be set to alert you when abroad.

some ideas here

Broken Link Removed
Never done that

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We've lived in France for over 10 years and when necessary travel back to the UK to see family etc. Our motorhome is a French lefthand drive and our 2 other everyday transport are righthand drive and depending on who we are visiting depends on which vehicle we take. So yeah, we know it can get a bit confusing as to which side of the road we should be on, but luckily, so far so good although we have had a few moments bit nothing life threatening . . . yet.

When we first started travelling outside of the UK on our motorbikes an friend who used to often travel with us was so concerned about getting it wrong that his wife wrote in lipstick on the righthand mirror a big "C" on the righthand mirror and the word "Ouch" on the other one.
It worked fine on the continent the problem was he panicked himself once or twice on the way to the boat at Portsmouth doh!

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
I have only done it once in a car, after a stop on a dirt road, soon as I saw another car I knew and got out of the way. More worryingly in Spain on a motorbike, I was on the correct side of the road, but the road was very narrow on had very sharp bends going down to the sea so I had to move out a bit to make the bend. A car came the other way I instinctively went LEFT as a reaction to the danger before correcting myself. I now know that if you only drive on the right occasionally, if something goes wrong you will automaticly go left before you have time to think. I now drive more carefully and keep my fingers crossed at all times.

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
no probs.. :lips:

.. During WW2 a British agent was caught in Paris by the simple mistake of looking left before crossing the street.. someone shopped him to the Gestapo
so even a highly trained agent can make mistakes.. the book is called... 'I Looked Left .

take care ..
Noted james but I always look.:Eeek:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Some useful lessons in these stories and I've made this mistake too - curiously it was in the UK after living in Germany for a couple of years. Awkward Brits driving on the wrong side.

My experience has taught me to be very careful driving when tired and to be extra careful when on a road with very little traffic.

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Some useful lessons in these stories and I've made this mistake too - curiously it was in the UK after living in Germany for a couple of years. Awkward Brits driving on the wrong side.

My experience has taught me to be very careful driving when tired and to be extra careful when on a road with very little traffic.
:doh:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
yes been there. I turned left at a t jun onto the wrong side. but my boss soon put me right . as she always does.

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
i wear a helpforheroes wrist band on my right wrist and make sure it's nearest to the curb.

(y)

Last edited:

Deleted User
Last year visiting my dad in hospital in Halifax, nightmare to find anywhere to park, I parked on the right hand side of the road facing the wrong way. Upon leaving did a 3 point turn and set off down the right hand side of the road until some traffic came the other way, easily done when there is no traffic about.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I think a lot of us have being there lucky for me no close calls .If abroad i think we all concentrate a bit more than usual if i am lost i tend to get a bit agitated looking for the correct turnings my co pilot (the wife) used to start chanting keep right right right and its not the first time i have turned right thinking she was directing me
clear.png
so i tend to stop if i feel a bit tired ,have a rest and laugh it off lol.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Don't even get me started on German motorcyclists riding on the wrong side of the road in the Isle of Man!!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
In my time as a coach driver I often seemed to end up taking rookies on their first trips abroad (2-man crew) and although they always assured me that they never would, to a man they always did it once, but only ever once. Always at a time when they relaxed, sometimes at the start of the day, sometimes at the end. (I hasten to add that I never let them get into a dangerous situation - I was sitting next to them!)

I honestly think that having done it once, you're unlikely to do it again - but if you think you need an aide-memoire don't let me discourage you and find you coming towards me on the wrong side of the road!:eek:

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
I did the same on the main coast road in benalmadena.....boy did I S**t myself

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I did it once in a hire car in Canada. Came off the 401 highway and at the top of the slip road turned right onto the left hand side of the road. A juggernaut appeared in front of me out of a dip which frightened me back onto the right hand side of the road.

They have very very very very few roundabouts in Canada and only on minor roads so there are lots of crossroads where you can get it wrong.

One thing that is nice at traffic lights is that you can turn right against a red light if there is nothing coming from the left! We could do with that being adopted in Europe and UK.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hubby's done it a couple of times abroad, when pulling out of supermarket car parks with no other traffic about, fortunately I realised and he soon 'plopped' the camper back onto the right side each time!

The thing that is more difficult to get right all the time is looking the correct way when wanting to cross a road as a pedestrian ... get it wrong and that can be deadly! I find that I can easily get confused in the UK now as I got so used to being 'careful' abroad, the habit has lingered on so I do a double check even here.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i put picture of roundabout in front of windscreen/turn round 2 u k till used to driving / work.s 4 me

Jun 26, 2012
ipswich suffolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt pilote
Exp
2005 off and on
Done it once in the 70's when I was in the army,turned left and drove about 2mls before a truck came the other way put me right, ever since then I've been extra careful turning left as it's easily done

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I drove fine in USA until night time, when leaving a friend's house I must have gone almost a mile before a passenger said "you're on the wrong side of the road".

One Sunday, whilst exploring the little bays between Marbella and Fuengirola, I crossed a road bridge to investigate a golf course. Trying to rejoin the A7, I thought "only the Spanish would devise a roundabout where the exit road crosses the entry slip" BUT fortunately I decided to return to a spot further back to take a photograph of a huge poinsettia. Whilst doing that I noticed that the "entry slip" was actually the "exit slip", because I'd forgotten about crossing the bridge. I always say that a plant saved my life!

Returning to the UK, I visited my daughter on a quiet housing estate. I couldn't believe some idiot was driving on the wrong side of the road and blared my horn at him. Then I wound down the window and apologised for my errors. :cry:

Stay safe - Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back