Temporarily leaving a pitch ...... (1 Viewer)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
When your parked up for a couple of days on a site and you need to leave for whatever reason do you mark your pitch? In a former life as a camper owner a mate of mine had four pegs and some rope with a number plate. He pegged out the shape and roped it off with the number plate attached to the rope.

Any other ideas?

Yes, yes, yes, I know. Don't leave :whistle:

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Left site today for a few hours, taped off the leccy point and hung an out of order sign on it.

Hymie.

Haha, nice one. Sometimes you get a great pitch and want to go back to it, other times it doesn't matter.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Plus s 670SLT
Exp
Since 2014
Like the pitch saver sign, thanks for the info wizzer59; just ordered one.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Just get one of these :)

2-11-2013-poison-snakes.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
O
When your parked up for a couple of days on a site and you need to leave for whatever reason do you mark your pitch? In a former life as a camper owner a mate of mine had four pegs and some rope with a number plate. He pegged out the shape and roped it off with the number plate attached to the rope.

Any other ideas?

Yes, yes, yes, I know. Don't leave :whistle:

Only if you want to return to it

Upvote 0

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Must be missing out, most of the sites I have used are allocated numbered pitches, so you are given a number when booking in and that is where you return to if you leave

Should I be going to these free for all rabble sites instead ?

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Must be missing out, most of the sites I have used are allocated numbered pitches, so you are given a number when booking in and that is where you return to if you leave

You don't get pitch numbers when you are freeloading.. free parking.. such as Marine parade.. ;):LOL:

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
What, like the Caravan Club sites, you mean? :eek:

You get to chose your own pitch from those available on club sites. You usually get a little map showing which ones are free, but some folks' map reading skills are a bit suspect. I imagine they had people setting up on apparently vacant pitches, then going back to the office to say which one they had chosen, only to be told they had to move. So it's in the club's interest to make sure pitches are marked when you go out for the day. So a nice little sign in the club colours so it blends in with all the other signage they have! :sneaky:

I bought one some years ago, but never used it yet on a club site! Used it in a few other places though - it's useful on CS & CL sites.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Any sign you use has to be unique to you, otherwise anyone could use it so it would disappear! Also, don't do what some do and leave buckets, electric leads, steps etc to 'mark' your pitch as they will almost certainly get nicked!!!!!

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Any sign you use has to be unique to you, otherwise anyone could use it so it would disappear! Also, don't do what some do and leave buckets, electric leads, steps etc to 'mark' your pitch as they will almost certainly get nicked!!!!!

TRUE.I LEFT A BUCKET & GROUND SHEET & A PAIR OF FLIP FLOPS:) ON A BOOKED PITCH IN FRANCE.CAME BACK AFTER DAY OUT.NO GROUND SHEET OR BUCKET:(.BUT FLIP FLOPS STILL THERE:LOL:.

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We laminated a sign ..... but have never used it!

THIS PITCH IS
RESERVED FOR
(Van Reg. No.)
ROB & VAL WILL BE BACK SOON
Thank you for your consideration

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If them Germans started leaving towels, there'd be hell to pay. ;)

Upvote 0

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs

If you go on a caravan club site they tell you to ride round and choose a pitch and then go back to the office (which can be some distance away) and tell them what number you have.
You could arrive and they say sorry that pitch is taken if no one had left a marker on it

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2014
Medway, Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Go to savaspace.co.uk they do personalised signs shaped in different mohome categories. We bought an A-class shaped one at Peterborough last year.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
If you go on a caravan club site they tell you to ride round and choose a pitch and then go back to the office (which can be some distance away) and tell them what number you have.
You could arrive and they say sorry that pitch is taken if no one had left a marker on it

Shouldn't happen. As The Caller said in an earlier post the Site office mark your name up on their register so you'll be given a plan of the site with available pitches to choose from so no excuse for taking an otherwise occupied pitch. On most club sites you're only given loo keys and barrier codes when you go back with the number of your chosen pitch.

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Use to have a reserved sign with my reg on but changed my van that often it got to be expensive - now I just have my surname: sorted.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Sticky back number plate on a piece of wood attached to a pointy stake and hammered into the ground.

With an anti-tank mine buried 3 feet in front of it.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I made a spare number plate using self adhesive numbers - you can still get them at Halfords and other motor accessory shops and although they are illegal for use on a vehicle, they serve this purpose well. I have screwed said number plate onto a 2 foot stake with a sharpened end which I drive into the ground. Never had anyone want to pinch my number plate yet but I guess there is always a first time although I can probably afford the 3 or 4 pound costs to replace it.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We got the dealer to give us a spare number-plate when we bought the MH, we just fasten it down in front of the electricity bollard with a couple of cheap tentpegs. It's no use to anybody except us. Also, when we go to a site where we aren't allocated a pitch, we leave the MH and walk around with the numberplate (or one of us fills up with water while the other one chooses the pitch), fix it on the pitch we want, then fetch the MH. Saves a lot of angst at busy check-in times!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back