LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Farmers markets, no shop o/heads, no transport charges and no middle men. Why then does the produce cost 3 to 4 times as much as local butchers shop? :Blush:

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Because your paying for it not to be mass produced, pumped full of hormones, anti-biotics, deep refrigeration for many weeks or months and intermitent quality.

Peter

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We used to buy from the Farmer's indoor market in Lincoln.

Lovely Produce, But they closed down. Something to do with Health and Safety.All The produce was kept in chilled units and wrapped.:Doh:

Beautiful Meat,Poultry, Pies and Cheeses.There were always queues and they normally sold all their produce by Midday.

Crazy Country we live in.

We try to buy from Farm Shops whenever we can but their prices are escalating.:Sad:

When we were kids in the country...........:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
pretty lucky here in Shropshire have a good Farm shop that is now on line and does local delivery service all fresh produce is from very local farmers and the prices are very good, they also stock meat from the local farms as well as from the smokehouse as well as sauces, veg ready meals, pies and pasties from local business', It was handy when Jackie worked next door, but handy now they do deliveries :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Because your paying for it not to be mass produced, pumped full of hormones, anti-biotics, deep refrigeration for many weeks or months and intermitent quality.

Peter

Hmmm so we pay for things not to be added? As far as quality is concerned sorry but i'm not convinced, we bought some lamb chops from an organic estate farm shop near Kendal and they were tough as old boots and tasteless. :Eeek:
Also some of the farm shops are run by massive estates and the meat we are buying is the same stuff supplied to the trade but bought direct from the farmer.

I'm sure there are exceptions but I can't help being suspicious. It's like the old tale if you want to make money then buy a sack of carrots from a supermarket, cover them in mud and sell em at 3 times the price as organic.

Ducks beneath parapet.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We visit the farmers market at Guisborough regularly to buy Beef & Lamb from one trader and Pork, Bacon, Sausage & Burgers from another. We also often buy smoked fish. The only other places we buy meat are at a local butcher in Stockton on Tees and (when visiting my Mum) one in Glossop in Derbyshire.

Prices at the Guisborough farmers market are easily comparable to the butchers shops and supermarkets - and the quality is way above that of supermarkets.

We've found that there are traders selling very good veg and eggs at very reasonable prices at the farmers market at Stockton on Tees.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Farmers markets, no shop o/heads, no transport charges and no middle men. Why then does the produce cost 3 to 4 times as much as local butchers shop? :Blush:

'cos there are soft mugs who will pay the price. :Sad:
how can farmers/store buyers charge more for a product that costs less to produce.........no chemicals, in my book, means no financial outlay:Doh:

same applies to organic produce in the supermarkets........how the hell do you produce organic washing powder? :Eeek: and why???? (Mmmm......see top line )

i always thought organic meant products grown in fields free of chemicals for X number of years and only natural fertilisers used. (cow/pig sh*t ect)
cant remember ever seeing a 'washing powder' crop.....:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back