Wifi booster and/or iBoost 4g (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have just bought a house in Brittany and while we were there this week, we got a very weak SFR Fon Wifi signal. Being BT and Fon customers, it would be rude not to use it to its full potential while we are working on the house and thought about an iBoost system, probably the D8.
MHwifi mention an iBoost 4g on their website but no other details. Is this a combined 3/4g wifi unit and if so, is it available now?
Allan

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Congratulations on the purchase Allan, can't answer your question but very interested in any responses you receive.(y)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I believe the answer is 'Yes' to both questions.

I also think Adam (of MHwifi) will ask you to think carefully before deciding that a combined unit is right for you. If you only want to use it in the house, it may well be, but there are small, pocket portable 3/4G units that will accept an external aerial when at home or in the van, which may serve your 3/4G needs better. In which case a wifi only iBoost might be a better buy.

Note:- better, not necessarily cheaper! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for your input TheCaller, the perfect advice in my opinion.

I personally dislike combined WiFi 3/4G systems - the process of changing over from WiFi to 3/4G is problematic and 4G routers that can do this are in the region of £200 for a good one.

In contrast, a MiFi device with an external antenna socket is in the region of £115 and will do the same job. You're paying at £85 premium to have an 'all in one system' but in fact you are no better off.

We did have such a system which we only sold to customers after explaining the above, since we get asked for it fairly often. Result? We discontinued it. Sometimes you have to stick to your guns rather than giving the customer what they want because the reality is they don't want (or perhaps need) what they think they do. I'd rather not make a sale then sell a product which I don't believe in.

I'm happy to talk you through your options if you like Allanm either tomorrow or Friday or pop and see us at the NEC next week, stand 12-90 :)

Adam

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Have an aquaintance, who has a bar down here in the Costa del Sol. He has IPTV for world sports, which needs a 4G data sim modem, to make it all work, but at 90 Euros a month, it's a bit pricey.​

:cooler:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Thanks for your input TheCaller, the perfect advice in my opinion.
Well it would be - it's what you told me at Malvern when I asked you the same question! :D:D:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks all. Adam, I think we just need the iBoost, we go to a few places where, although we get a Fon signal, it's too far away to connect.
I'm not into complicated so maybe the combined wifi/ 3G unit wouldn't be suitable
I'll probably order an iBoost D8 later from you
Allan
Edit. We use 3 on our mobiles so get free calls etc in France, hence the reason we thought about a wifi and 3G booster, our house in in a village with patchy 3G . We have a Mifi unit at the moment but don't use it since 3 announced their Feel at Home tarif

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back