HELP WITH i PADS! (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
My wife would like an ipad, her friend has one which takes brilliant pictures and records where they taken. She only really needs it for emails and keeping an eye on the bank, will NOT need it for games etc

Will the new Tesco Hudl be of any use for her and will it have the same an Apple ipad

Any advice please, I don't want shell out loads of dosh!!

colyboy

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
If the wife wants an iPad

Then get her an IPad

She will be so dissapointment if you get her a Tesco Hudl.
She obviously has her heart set on an IPad.

Not that I know anything about the Hudl, but the IPad is great:)

You know it makes sense:)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It is "how long is a bit of string" sort of question. Given the limited envisaged use then something cheap and cheerful would probably do -

Edit - after owning iPads for a few years now, I wouldn't have anything else, but that is because of other Apple stuff. Starting out afresh? Not so sure

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Worms................... Can....................Open:rolleyes:

Brace yerself, it's gonna get tough:)

As to the question I would say get the Apple 16gb wifi iPad Air................... best out there I reckon:):):)

I use a 7inch Android (Asus) and to be honest the screen is a bit small. Once you go up to a 10inch screen the gap in price between any of the Android based tablets and an Apple iPad reduces to a more palatable figure.

If you can cough up the £400 for the Apple you will NOT regret it. I'm not so sure it would be the same the other way round.:)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hmm, just thought.............. the iPad mini starts at £249.00 ..... still expensive, but still an Apple iPad :D and if you compare it to a 7in tablet it does look and feel bigger so don't be put off by the '7.9' inch size

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Also................ you just KNOW you will want to 'borrow' it, so buy one YOU like too :rolleyes: (and that is likely to be the Apple:sneaky:)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
ipad for me also
just consider what you want it to do
wifi is standard
16 gig is probably enough
big question is online are you happy with just wifi or do you want a 3g version where it would have a sim card and be online away from home
3g costs are not too bad about 18 quid for 3 months and 6 gig of data with ee if you buy sims of ebay

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Or you could have the iPad Retina for £329....... a bit old school but money to be saved and still an Apple:D

"now then, where did I leave my wooden spoon?"

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
My 4G WiFi Ipad does everything we need it to do, even got an App for making the coffee.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
ipad for me also
just consider what you want it to do
wifi is standard
16 gig is probably enough
big question is online are you happy with just wifi or do you want a 3g version where it would have a sim card and be online away from home
3g costs are not too bad about 18 quid for 3 months and 6 gig of data with ee if you buy sims of ebay
Is this the best machine for being online away from home both here and abroad?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Got hooked on I Pad this year and now the laptop just seems to collect dust. Being a bit of a tech dinosaur I find it so easy to use. Always take it with me in the MH with MiFi.

Day begins with a cup of tea in bed and the I Pad for seeing what is on this forum!

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
(y)buy the wife the iPad then if she moans about it at least you can say it was your choice I wanted to buy you a Tesco special.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Is this the best machine for being online away from home both here and abroad?
in my opinion yes especially when traveling at home in UK
but beware cost of mobile internet can be expensive when abroad but should be coming down shortly

I have tried everything else and if it came to one it would be my ipad also Elaine uses it a lot for talking to kids on facetime or Skype

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Have you thought of buying second hand from Ebay, I have just bought my Dad an Ipad 2 for £165, its like brand new, then if your wife likes it you could buy her an Ipad air and you have her one, I would recommend the 3g but if you have a mifi for travelling then no need for 3g as you would use the wifi from the house broadband & mifi when travelling.
I have found the difference between Ipad air and 2 is minimal. We have one of each at home.

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Sorry to be so sad! Yes I think an Apple . But what's all this 3G stuff. With my large/heavy lap top I can get wifi etc in McD's , Carrefour etc

colyboy

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I set off with an I Pad 1 reconditioned from one of the shopping channels. Whenever my sister was with me she hogged it. Gave in eventually and gave her it now have the 4th generation.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I would recommend the 3g but if you have a mifi for travelling then no need for 3g as you would use the wifi from the house broadband & mifi when travelling.
Does this mean mifi is better than 3g?
or
3g is better so don't buy mifi?
For technonobs like me:-
What is the best way to have an internet connection abroad when travelling?
What is the best way to have an internet connection In the UK when travelling?
etc etc

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I think that what I should probably buy is an Apple IPad Air 32gb with 3g and sim.
Now do I need mifi and/or is there anything better?
Told you I was a technonob!

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I would say mifi gives you more latitude if you happen to be in a blind spot for signal, you can move the mifi pod around a bit to search for the best signal, you can also run up to 5 devices from a mifi pod.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Both me and her have iPads.. but honest truth.. I bloody hate using it for anything more than playing silly games on..
Whilst I am sure there are lots of folk who will defend the iPad no matter what, and yes, I am sure they do have their uses, I cannot do any real work on the thing without VERY expensive software and even then it is incredibly complex..
Yes, if you are just gonna use it for browsing, the OCCASIONAL email and the odd game then fine, but you might as well buy a cheaper tablet as they all do much the same ....

As a by the by..
The advent of mobile fone and tablet use for sending emails and or ordering stuff on line has been an absolute pain in my side..
Why ?
Cos little screens and fat fingers do not mix.. The amount of times in the last year I have had folk order something and complain like mad cos they have ended up with the wrong stuff is crazy.. When you send a copy of their original order it is always the same... Oh.. must have clicked on the wrong thing.. did it on my fone or ipad or whatever...

Then there are all the nutty word errors where some weird predicting crap has changed a word and the sender has not bothered to read the message before sending it !!

I mean.. classic example just yesterday

Hi John, I have a metal barrister the seat that has gone trusty

Figure that bugger out !!!

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Both me and her have iPads.. but honest truth.. I bloody hate using it for anything more than playing silly games on..
Whilst I am sure there are lots of folk who will defend the iPad no matter what, and yes, I am sure they do have their uses, I cannot do any real work on the thing without VERY expensive software and even then it is incredibly complex..
Yes, if you are just gonna use it for browsing, the OCCASIONAL email and the odd game then fine, but you might as well buy a cheaper tablet as they all do much the same ....

As a by the by..
The advent of mobile fone and tablet use for sending emails and or ordering stuff on line has been an absolute pain in my side..
Why ?
Cos little screens and fat fingers do not mix.. The amount of times in the last year I have had folk order something and complain like mad cos they have ended up with the wrong stuff is crazy.. When you send a copy of their original order it is always the same... Oh.. must have clicked on the wrong thing.. did it on my fone or ipad or whatever...

Then there are all the nutty word errors where some weird predicting crap has changed a word and the sender has not bothered to read the message before sending it !!

I mean.. classic example just yesterday

Hi John, I have a metal barrister the seat that has gone trusty

Figure that bugger out !!!

luddite :whistle::rolleyes:

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
If you have wifi & 3g in the Ipad Air you can tether any other wifi or bluetooth gadgets to your ipad, but...if you already have a mifi gadget, then do not pay the extra for the 3g Ipad, as the mifi gadget will do the exact same job as pairing the Ipad. I have a mifi for travelling in Uk and abroad, but when I am out and about away from the motorhome I use the 3g sim in the Ipad. You need to check that the data sim you buy can support tethering and Skype.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I would say mifi gives you more latitude if you happen to be in a blind spot for signal, you can move the mifi pod around a bit to search for the best signal, you can also run up to 5 devices from a mifi pod.
Oh Oh Please! whats a mifi pod and if I have one do I need 3g with sim etc:)

Right here goes:-

I am going to update my phone.
I don't mind buying an Ipad or any other "pad" as well as a phone.
I want to get an internet connection whilst travelling in UK
I want to get an internet connection whilst travelling abroad
Ease of use is a plus
I have wifi at home (BT)
I have a reasonable laptop
I don't mind spending a few bob (haven't bought anything for beards)
Can I do all of the above on a phone?? (Apple Android or window?)

What shall I buy? Over to you lot:confused:o_O:unsure:

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Tethering is another word for "mating" one gadget with another as long as they are both on the same wavelength

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
This could fall to the old adage buy cheap by twice,
as others have said if she has her sights set on an iPad then buy her one, its worth it for the brownie points and peaceful life (y)

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Laptop is a bit bulky for lugging about, At funsters meeting you will see a lot of people using a camera for taking photos or.. using an Ipad or tablet to take photos and videos.....
or a really good mobile phone.....With Ipad or Mobile phone you can then forward your photos to other people by email. You can do this by wifi or 3g.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back