Good old NHS (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Say what they like. I can't praise the NHS enough. I was taken in to our local hospital under blue lights at 3-30 in the morning having suffered a heart attack. From the moment we arrived it was a sea of doctors & nurses. All played their part in stabilising & reassuring me. Having spent the best part of the morning in A&E, they transferred me to the coronary ward. Later in the evening a sister noticed I was not looking good. Straight away another doctor arrived, just as I was having a second major heart attack. Their quick response & actions without a doubt saved my life. Later, all I could think & ask about was. ("How long before I can drive the motorhome") You can imagine the answers !!!!! The NHS is a fantastic institution, which should get all the funding it needs. But, at the same time there a lot of questions to be asked & answered on who & how people are treated. Mainly the holiday patients. Who fly in just to be treated. Then fly out without paying a dime, never to be seen again. Ok, I'm having a moan !!!!! Will be back to normal when I get back in the driving seat & out there.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
I cant believe how good they are either, but how some people moan about their hospital treatment. I have been in and out of hospital quite a few times the last few years, and cant praise them enough. I even like the food. I have been in the next bed to some really rude people, who moaned about everything, and some that wouldnt touch hospital food. My only complaint is about them waking you at six in the morning....thats middle of the night to me.:)

Last edited:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Say what they like. I can't praise the NHS enough. I was taken in to our local hospital under blue lights at 3-30 in the morning having suffered a heart attack. From the moment we arrived it was a sea of doctors & nurses. All played their part in stabilising & reassuring me. Having spent the best part of the morning in A&E, they transferred me to the coronary ward. Later in the evening a sister noticed I was not looking good. Straight away another doctor arrived, just as I was having a second major heart attack. Their quick response & actions without a doubt saved my life. Later, all I could think & ask about was. ("How long before I can drive the motorhome") You can imagine the answers !!!!! The NHS is a fantastic institution, which should get all the funding it needs. But, at the same time there a lot of questions to be asked & answered on who & how people are treated. Mainly the holiday patients. Who fly in just to be treated. Then fly out without paying a dime, never to be seen again. Ok, I'm having a moan !!!!! Will be back to normal when I get back in the driving seat & out there.
A new dawn for New Dawn, pleased your ok, get well soon and travel on! Our NHS is not perfect but still precious.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Pleased you are still here and getting such good treatment New Dawn.

I've been in and out of hospital over the past 3 years and over all have found the NHS in Scotland and England to be very good although some hospitals are better than others. I have always had the best treatment in big teaching hospitals and the poorest in a small local hospital mostly staffed by locum doctors called in as and when deemed necessary and (it appears to me at least) run by the nursing staff who decided who should be treated and when. I once waited three days for medication the doctor said was urgent there!!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Just sat waiting to go in for a hernia op at St James hospital leeds at the moment

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Glad you are on the mend Newdawn (y)
I have no complaints either. I have always been treated quickly and, thankfully, with good results. :smiley:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Derby Royal Infirmary.. Long been closed,however whenever i woke up or walked in to this place of healing i allways thought i had a 99.9% chance of seeing the dawn.
Go NHS GO!! Top service

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

I thank goodness the NHS is there when we need it. I had heart surgery at Papworth in March, where they did a fantastic job - these people are geniuses!

With any organisation the size of the NHS things are bound to go wrong sometimes. Its the world's 5th largest empoyer with 1.7 million workers according to Wikipedia.

Paul

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Pleased to read you are on the mend,New Dawn.

Over the past week I have been laid up with a back/neck issue which has been very painful and completely knocked me over.
I've had 2 GP appointments, one last Thusday was 1 hour after my call to the surgery, the second was Monday evening at 5.30 again about an hour after I called.
The pain relief prescribed is now working and I am starting to feel a bit better.
The service and treatment received was first class and much appreciated.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have had some wonderful treatment in hospitals I have also been on the receiving end of less than satisfactory treatment, once your confidence in a consultant has gone its hard to trust any of them again. I would not be here now but for the NHS

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
the nhs in an emergency is excellent 99% of the time, as others have said i too wouldn't be here had it not been for the wonderful doctors and nurses in a&e in the past..
where it does badly fall down now, being over stretched as it is, is when a condition or illness is not regarded as life threatening, personally speaking i have only just got an appointment through for a ct scan next week after having to cope with excruciating kidney stones since the beginning of july before they can start whatever treatment is necessary, i've got to be honest and say that the last few months haven't been a barrel of laughs and there have been many days when the smile has been totally wiped off my face when i'd planned to be at meets, but there have been some lovely members here who have kept me feeling positive, you know who you are and the words "thank you" can never properly convey my heartfelt appreciation..

wishing you a very swift and full recovery new dawn and hopefully it won't be long before you're out and about driving and enjoying your motorhome once again..

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
the nhs in an emergency is excellent 99% of the time,
where it does badly fall down now, being over stretched as it is, is when a condition or illness is not regarded as life threatening

I agree. My wife has had excruciating back pain for over 3 weeks now............ last week after having to wait 2 days for a GP appointment she was then referred to A&E.................. so this meant 4 hours in hospital then only to be told she will have to wait for the Ortho to check the results of an X-ray.............. at this point we said we will go home and they said to telephone later for result.......

Result was OK but referred for MRI scan by end of the week.............. now Thursday but nothing heard:(

I think we are fortunate to have the NHS but the fact is that it is OVER stressed and UNDER funded/staffed.

Now before the flak comes my way............ I have spent 7 years as an Air Ambulance pilot.......... my wife is a (ex) Midwife and my son is an Anaesthetist so I have a reasonable idea of what goes on.

I'm just saying the NHS is not 'all that'. It's good, but not good enough.

Oh, and get well soon New Dawn.........despite what I have said you ARE in safe hands(y)

Tkly

Free Member
Nov 27, 2009
Near Stonehenge
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
9 Years
Dawn get well soon I know how you feel about driving! I am at last allowed to drive after an unsuccessful heart op last Thursday looking forward to getting out of these four walls and not having to rely on family for shopping :)

OP
OP
New Dawn
Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts. The forum is a great place to share thoughts & aspirations. I would agree with "chockswahay". The NHS is underfunded/staffed. But the dedication of doctors & nurses is to be applauded. I watched many patients flown in by helicopter. The HEMS is another crucial part of that dedicated team. That golden hour (as called) is vital to saving lives. Each "so called government" states every election time that the NHS is their priority, or "safe in their hands" Yet is proven to be the opposite every time. I wonder what UKIPS policy would be ?? OOPs Don't answer that !!!! Thanks again For your kind thoughts

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
As it happens I flew the 'aeroplane' ambulance for the Scottish NHS. All of the HEMS helicopters are privately funded charity aircraft. Either way you are correct and the 'golden hour' is crucial (particularly if you live in far away places).

I generally stay out of politics but I must confess I do wonder if any government could make it work any better:rolleyes:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I came out of hospital last night after an operation.
The nurses were brilliant but seriously over worked and obviously under staffed. There was only one fully qualified nursery on my unit most of the time the rest were students.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
local doctors are just u/s they kept telling me that I had wind and a chest infection. my wife said no and took me to the hospital. I have blood clots. the hospital was great. food not. back twice since then with same prop. if my wife had not taken me to the hospital. I would have dead by the weekend.. so thanks to nhs.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Blimey New Dawn. What a shock to read your post eh? Must be terrifying? We've never met but I really do wish you all the best for a quick recovery and subsequent treatment. Winter's almost here, so presumably you wouldn't be doing much in the MH anyway? Take is easy, read all the mag's and do a bit of 'armchair motorhoming'. You'll be back behind the wheel in no time!

These events bring everything into perspective though eh? Suddenly, life is sweet!

Speaking as a retired NHS worker, it's the STAFF who make it such a cherished institution. When I started, Doctors wore white coats, nurses had crisp uniforms, you lay straight in bed and maintained silence during doctor's ward rounds and all of the bed wheels had to face the same way! (I kid you not). Alas today, there are thugs fighting in A&E, health tourists and so many other pressures on the service. Yet, day in, day out and around the clock, the staff strive to make us better. Far as I'm concerned, ANY political party who does not fully fund the NHS, or messes about with it does not deserve to hold power.

Good luck ND
James

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Good luck New Dawn, hope your recovery is a swift one.

One of my chosen charities is the air ambulance, as has been said it's totally funded by donations and as we spend much of our time in the countryside with bikes, cars, MH it's great to know that if we need them they are around.

Angela works for the NHS and you wouldn't believe how stretched some of the departments are both with government cuts and as has been said tourist patients.
I think that if they do not have a UK address that can be proved they should have means to pay their medical bill, that's not political it's good business.

OP
OP
New Dawn
Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Hi James. (Wingman). Your quite right, it does put things into perspective. I take it from your Avatar your a pilot. My nephew was teaching me to fly, not sure if that will continue, albeit on microlights. Thank you so much for you kind thoughts, in fact everybody who posted. It is comforting to know that there are freinds out there whom we have never met, who care enough to post there thoughts & best wishes on the forum. Hopefully I can have the pleasure of meeting you all in the near future, either on the road, or rallies.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sept 1st; check up for Jill at hospital; out within half an hour because the clinic is run efficiently (actually before appointment time, we always get to JCUH a bit early as parking is sometimes a pain).
Oct 6th; X ray for Jill at hospital; out within half an hour because the unit is run efficiently (23 minutes after obtaining car park ticket when I checked the pay machine).

Oct 6th; received flu jab letters for both of us; could have had an appointment the next day but we were busy so went this afternoon. Both seen on time, nurse realised I had never had a pneumonia jab so offered it and gave it there and then.

Nothing wrong with the NHS when the right staff are given the opportunity to run the service properly :)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I'm a commissioning nurse for a CCG having spent many years in A&E and the wards.....

Im getting private healthcare.

make of that what you will.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
local doctors are just u/s they kept telling me that I had wind and a chest infection. my wife said no and took me to the hospital. I have blood clots. the hospital was great. food not. back twice since then with same prop. if my wife had not taken me to the hospital. I would have dead by the weekend.. so thanks to nhs.

It was the student under supervision in my GP practice that diagnosed my recent pulmonary embolism. The hospital laughed at the diagnosis and said the student didn't know what she was talking about being "just a student" but to put my mind at rest they did the scan and found multiple clots in both lungs..... I have no problems at all seeing students under supervision. They are often very clued up and have their training in the correct part of their brains.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
puddleduck what blood thinners are you on. and how do I get of walfren. I have the same as you. twice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back