E mail from Robert Goodwill about emissions (1 Viewer)

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Hi
Have just recieved this

Dear Mrs Nye

Your e-mail to Rt Hon David Cameron MP, the Leader of the Conservative Party copying him into the petition you sent to the Prime Minister about exempting motor homes from the new emissions charges has been sent to me as the Shadow Roads Minister.

I quite understand the problem that you face given that the average motor home does not travel many miles. I will be interested to hear what reaction you get from the Prime Minister from this petition and whether they are intend to revisit this.

The London low emission zone area is actually administered by Transport for London and is under the control of Boris Johnson the Mayor of London. I therefore, suggest that you write to Boris to see if they have considered making any additional exemptions from the LEZ charges. I know there are a number of other private users of large of vehicles such as, horse boxes and those who transport historic vehicles who also feel quite annoyed that this is affecting them.

Thank you, again for bringing this to Mr Cameron’s attention. It may well come up in Parliament in which case I will be able to add motor caravans to the list of similarly effected vehicles that I had previously been made aware of.

Thank you, again for writing.

Yours sincerely,

Robert Goodwill MP for Scarborough & Whitby
Shadow Transport Minister
House of Commons
London SW1A 0AA
tel 020 7219 8268

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Robert Goodwill MP for Scarborough & Whitby
Shadow Transport Minister
House of Commons
London SW1A 0AA
tel 020 7219 8268

Mmmm......i'll have to have a word with Bob....he lives just around the corner from us.::bigsmile:

just kidding mavis...i dont know him personally. (but he does live round the corner from us) i thought i recognised the name.

good result though :thumb:

sandyketton

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
South West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Eight years but ten years tugging in an earlier life
Well at least you got a reply. Not much use though.
It's Boris that decides things in London.
Sandy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mavis

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
I had already Contacted Boris who said he is looking at it with a working Party.
But at least the Conservitaves are going to raise it in Parliament.
i have thanked Robert Goodwill and I will keep you all imformed of every e mail I get.
Pappajohn you are welcome to talk to him everything will help, more than the big boys of the camping world have done eh:ROFLMAO:
love from the fighting Grandmother :ROFLMAO::thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Well done Mavis.:thumb:

A big step in the right direction, keep up the good work.:thumb:

Brian & Pam

OP
OP
Mavis

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Email

Hi
On another forum we are all send Boris an email to get him to look at it again.
Could I ask you to do the same.
Perhaps if he gets his email In box filled up they might take some action.
mayor@london.gov.uk
Also I have emailed my member of Parliament (who has given me a lot of help so far) to Lobby him to raise the question in parliament.
I will keep you all posted
Mavis:thumb:

Last edited:
S

stagman

Deleted User
Classic Car Show Cancelled

You may think what are classic cars doing here.Well I have just heard that the classic car show held at Ally Pally in London has been cancelled.It is usually the first big show of the year .It has been cancelled due to a lot of the exhibitors and auto jumbler's pulling out as a lot of them drive old diesel vans, and either can't afford the LEZ or buy a new van ,and of course the congestion charge bill aswell.The exibitors are therefore looking for a venue outside of the LEZ but this probabally won't be ready for 2009.I get the message keep out of London.:Angry:

OP
OP
Mavis

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
email

Im really sorry to hear you news stagman,
I have just got back from the MCC rally at Blackheath to see the fireworks and The Lord Mayors Parade.
After next Year I will not be able to attend this Rally and the Marathon Rally we hold in the School by Greenwich Park.
It will then in 2010 cost me £200 LEZ £20 Rally fee and £21.04 Fuel it is so stupid.
Also
I wanted you to keep up with what I'm still doing and I will take Edwinas advice and contact Cabinet Minister for Transport I have also requested a Early Morning Motion in Parliament through my Local MP
Regards Mavis
Date: 08/11/2008 20:59:54
To: mavis nye
Subject: Re: Motor home petition

Hello Mavis
I'm sorry but the problem isn't very clear from this - no doubt I have missed
Something in the Caravan Club magazine but we are away right now, on the high seas (without Vanessa) so it is difficult to comment.
However I note that the deadline for signing the petition is passed so
We can't sign it. I agree that it would be a good idea to copy the German cities' exemptions for non-commercial vehicles for up to 500km a year. As for keeping a log book, many owners do that anyway.
The response from Robert Goodwill MP is encouraging. It suggests that if/when the legislation is presented to the House of Commons, the Opposition will put down amendments which will include motorhomes.
Meanwhile I suggest you write to Boris Johnson the Mayor of London who has responsibility for the London Emission Zone, and get your members to write on masse to their own MPs. If enough people do that, then the amendments will be welcomed when they are presented, and are more likely to be passed without a vote.
You could of course also try the Cabinet Minister for Transport - this govt is still in charge! - and make the same points.
Good luck
Edwina

Last edited:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Mavis

I know you are doing a lot, but do you think it would be a good idea if we could get a standard letter/email together that we could all send to our MP's and the Mayor etc.

Has anyone got any suggestions

Thanks
Braunston

Hi
On another forum we are all send Boris an email to get him to look at it again.
Could I ask you to do the same.
Perhaps if he gets his email In box filled up they might take some action.
mayor@london.gov.uk
Also I have emailed my member of Parliament (who has given me a lot of help so far) to Lobby him to raise the question in parliament.
I will keep you all posted
Mavis:thumb:

OP
OP
Mavis

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Email

Hi
All the advice to me is to get people to Bombard Boris and now as Edwina says your Local MP
So that is what Im asking for to bombard your Local MP Please:thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Mavis

I Understand what you are after and i certainly support it and thank you for all that you have done so far, but i was thinking that if we all write different emails/letters to the various people then if they are worded differently they may not be taken as we are all talking about the same thing, hope that makes sense

I just thought if we could get a standard email/letter that everyone could use albeit change the name etc it would perhaps have more impact as the MP's etc wouldn't be able to say they didn't understand

Also should the letter refer to your register of signatures so again they know we are all singing fro the same hymn sheet so to speak.

Hi
All the advice to me is to get people to Bombard Boris and now as Edwina says your Local MP
So that is what Im asking for to bombard your Local MP Please:thumb:

OP
OP
Mavis

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
email

Im sorry I now see what you are trying to get through to me:thumb:.
Would you like to put that letter together then??

I have emailed back to Edwina to make things clearer as I had assumed with a 10 year old van she was aware of the problems she would have coming into London.

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
You may think what are classic cars doing here.Well I have just heard that the classic car show held at Ally Pally in London has been cancelled.It is usually the first big show of the year .It has been cancelled due to a lot of the exhibitors and auto jumbler's pulling out as a lot of them drive old diesel vans, and either can't afford the LEZ or buy a new van ,and of course the congestion charge bill aswell.The exibitors are therefore looking for a venue outside of the LEZ but this probabally won't be ready for 2009.I get the message keep out of London.:Angry:

I HOPE THIS GETS WIDE PRESS COVERAGE !!!!! TRY WATCHDOG !!!!

Totally disgusted at this news.

But then again anything old these days in London doesnt appear to be acceptable or politically correct etc

OP
OP
Mavis

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
classic cars

Now classic cars it is beginning to bite isnt it.

this a letter someone wrote to Boris from another forum that is very well put together Braunstone

Good day to you Mr Johnson,

Please may I take this opportunity to enquire, about why myself and thousands of other motorhomers like me, are expected to pay a fine of £200, each day our vehicles are travelling inside the London Emission Zone? As tourists, we come to the capital city of England, not to drive around every day and all day, but to pay a fee for a pitch at a caravan park or site, and use public transport on a daily basis to do our visiting and sightseeing. The next journey within the LEZ, would more than likely be to exit London, whilst heading for home. This typical visit would incurr a charge of £400. This is over and above the daily caravan site fees, public transport fees, entry fees to attractions etc, and lets not forget the high cost of theatre tickets either. All of which, contributes to the annual economy of one of the worlds most famous cities.
As a former member of HM Forces, and the British Fire Service, my desire to vist London came to a grinding halt on 07 July 08, due to the rules and regulations governing weights and engines of non compliant vehicles. Even though my vehicle had a brand new engine fitted in May 08, I still fall foul of the LEZ rules and regs!!!
Motorhomers do not normally travel the same amount of mileages, as their commercially chassis based counterparts.

As motorhoming members of the Caravan Club, and Caravan & Camping Club, which both have sites within the LEZ, we are discriminated against. This is due to the fact, that fellow members, with large 4x4's (with non compliant engines), towing large twin axle caravans, with a total outfit weight exceeding 3.5 /4.5 tonnes, do not fall foul of the LEZ rules and regs. Why is this so, when the vehicle example I have given, can be just as, if not more polluting than a low mileage motorhome.
I also shudder to think of the finacial implications that motorhome owners living inside the LEZ will suffer, every time they move off their driveways. These low mileage leisure vehicles are not cheap, (£20,000 - £175,000) and are usually purchased with a view to long term ownership.
As a fellow Brit, I find it strange that having registered with the German authorities for only €5.00, I am permitted to travel through any Germany city, in my 4.5 tonne motorhome, whilst displaying my "Umwelt"badge, and not have to worry about extortionate fines. Surely, a similar registration system could be introduced in London?
Please Mr Johnson, can you give this matter your urgent attention, in the hope that we motorhomers, including our European cousins, can visit our famous home city, without being unfairly "taxed" in the process?

Kindest regards,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mavis

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
letter to someone on another forum

Another answer to me on another forum.

Living just inside the inside the London LEZ, I have already felt the effects of the zone, and after lot’s of correspondence, I’ve finally got them (Transport for London) to accept my MGW as 3500 kg from the Fiat Ducato nameplate (although they seem to wrongly have my net weight as 3600 kg, just shows what little basic arithmetic sense they have!). It does now give me some breathing space until Oct 2010 (but has already meant my van has been off the road for a couple of months), but I’ll need to try and comply by then unless Boris gets his act together. I tried writing to Boris, but his office “conveniently” redirect it to Transport for London. In my own case I’ve had several letter exchanges with them and expecting another reply any day. I’ve also reminded them that it is the regulation itself that is my concern and really needs to go direct to the London Assembly (Boris), but still struggling to break down their barrier, but not planning giving up without a fight.
As for registering with Transport for London (an essential requirement if you want to try to avoid the daily charge, at least in the short term), involves several forms, all geared to commercial opperators!!

mikev

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Funster No
lez

Mavis,

Since seeing your posts I have written to Boris and received a standard reply from TFL. I have since written to my MP.

One point seems apparent - The LEZ was designed for commercial vehicles whereby the cost of fitting filters can be clawed back via the business from the citizens of London.

The private motorhome owner has to bear the cost his/her self. I feel that TFL should provide us with a grant for fitting these things, otherwise I feel we are being persecuted.

Any lawyers about??

Mike

OP
OP
Mavis

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Mavis,

Since seeing your posts I have written to Boris and received a standard reply from TFL. I have since written to my MP.

One point seems apparent - The LEZ was designed for commercial vehicles whereby the cost of fitting filters can be clawed back via the business from the citizens of London.

The private motorhome owner has to bear the cost his/her self. I feel that TFL should provide us with a grant for fitting these things, otherwise I feel we are being persecuted.

Any lawyers about??

Mike

Hi that was the reason I started all this we are a Leisure vehicle not Commercial
Im just waiting for the Prime Ministers reply to our Petition and then I can give it to the Oposition MP's to sort out.
I have lodge My Early Morning Motion with Geoff Hoon today so I have to wait for answer's
Thanks for your letters the more we get the better the fight.
I havent called to ban it I have just said could we have a fairer system like the Germans.
Not difficult is it :Eeek:

:ROFLMAO:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi that was the reason I started all this we are a Leisure vehicle not Commercial
Im just waiting for the Prime Ministers reply to our Petition and then I can give it to the Oposition MP's to sort out.
I have lodge My Early Morning Motion with Geoff Hoon today so I have to wait for answer's
Thanks for your letters the more we get the better the fight.
I havent called to ban it I have just said could we have a fairer system like the Germans.
Not difficult is it :Eeek:

:ROFLMAO:

It's a shame that the interest on such an important issue as this thread is so low.Could it be largely due that most of the m/home fun members drive nearly new vans and think that these issues will not affect them now or in the future.Or perhaps it needs a different heading to create a larger audience.Whichever there is a need to keep this kind of topic alive:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's a shame that the interest on such an important issue as this thread is so low.Could it be largely due that most of the m/home fun members drive nearly new vans and think that these issues will not affect them now or in the future.Or perhaps it needs a different heading to create a larger audience.Whichever there is a need to keep this kind of topic alive:thumb:

I think it's probably more to do with the fact that the LEZ has been the subject of a number of threads on this and other forums - and in the printed media - for something over a year now.

Whilst Mavis is to be commended for trying to do something, several of us have already been in touch with the GLA/TfL/Mayor's office (both before and after Boris was elected) along the lines suggested.

Graham

Rose Royce

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
EPSOM
Funster No
Now classic cars it is beginning to bite isnt it.

this a letter someone wrote to Boris from another forum that is very well put together Braunstone

As a fellow Brit, I find it strange that having registered with the German authorities for only €5.00, I am permitted to travel through any Germany city, in my 4.5 tonne motorhome, whilst displaying my "Umwelt"badge, and not have to worry about extortionate fines. Kindest regards,

NO, you can't!

OP
OP
Mavis

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Lez

Edwina Currie has just emailed me tonight that when she gets back she is writting to Boris to back our Campagn.
Watch this space :Sad::shout:

OP
OP
Mavis

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Lez

I think it's probably more to do with the fact that the LEZ has been the subject of a number of threads on this and other forums - and in the printed media - for something over a year now.

Whilst Mavis is to be commended for trying to do something, several of us have already been in touch with the GLA/TfL/Mayor's office (both before and after Boris was elected) along the lines suggested.

Graham
Graham it's great that you have written to the people you have.
I have now Lodged an Early Morning Motion with the House through the Cabinet Minister for Transport Geoffrey Hoon and my own MP Julian Brazier and now I have got Edwina Currie fighting in our corner with the Shadow Minister of Transport.
Once we have the Prime Ministers answer to our Petition they are all going to kick into action.
I have learnt a lot in the year and I realize to ask for a complete exempton is very niave so Im asking and fighting to have the German Plan as it is so much fairer.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back