LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
What was the one thing you you forgot to bring back to the UK after being away that made you swear you'd tattoo it on your wrist next time ?

We stocked up on lots of Bordeaux and Sancerre, even a fair bit of decent garlic 2 weeks ago, however, it has dawned upon me today that I forgot to pick up a relatively inexpensive 70cl bottle of Grand Marnier. Just using the last from summer and have none for chrimble :(

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
other than alcohol . fuel and cigarettes is there any thing cheaper over there worth bringing back?
mind should be cheaper now slightly as the pound rises .

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Bordeaux, Sancerre....... Why bother with the stickies? Just open another bottle of vino...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Cos we love our GM for a nice small tipple and bit of a shame to open whole bottle of wine for a small glass :)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
other than alcohol . fuel and cigarettes is there any thing cheaper over there worth bringing back?
mind should be cheaper now slightly as the pound rises .

"other than alcohol . fuel and cigarettes"

This could turn into another "What have the Romans ever done for us" sketch.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i bring back lots of solera . cant beat it for a nice little tipple .
spanish brandy as its own burnt wood flavour . goes down a treat.
remember the pound used to be worth 360 pesatas years ago. when the euro came out it was 250,pesatas.
that was 165 cents . now its only about 126 cents . nop wonder eu seems expensive .

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Going the other way (UK to France) and going back several years, The Chief Fairy produced a box filled with...wait for it....42KGS of tinned goods. Tuggers don't have the payload of Funsters so I said to her,

"Don't you think they have food in France. We're not taking that lot."

Now tell me who went six weeks without a curry because in those days, they didn't sell curries in their supermarches.

Taught me a lesson

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Going the other way (UK to France) and going back several years, The Chief Fairy produced a box filled with...wait for it....42KGS of tinned goods. Tuggers don't have the payload of Funsters so I said to her,

"Don't you think they have food in France. We're not taking that lot."

Now tell me who went six weeks without a curry because in those days, they didn't sell curries in their supermarches.

Taught me a lesson
just pop into trago mills. you can get 400mg of curry powder for 3.59 . that should last ages .
big scwartz plastic pots . as used by the catering trade. ideal.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Olives. We recently drove the length of Spain and back and saw olive trees by the million stretching into infinity across the hills, yet did we stock up on cheap olives? No.

Also, a bit more obscure, but when I was at the Braderie de Lille buying up old junk I got a stacker box full of old 1930s glass photographic plates, many of which were stereoscope slides. Did I then go and buy the 15 Euro vintage stereoscope viewer I saw on a nearby table? Did I buggery - I thought it was too much. Trouble is, now I look on eBay to buy one I find they sell for 3 to 4 times that. Won't make that mistake again.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For anyone traveling between France and Spain and it isn't too far off your route a trip into Andorra is well worth a visit to stock up on fags and booze and fuel, diesel about a pound or less ltrs of spirits something like a tenner rolling bacca about fifty euros as opposed to 70 in Belgium 127 duty free and about 180 here

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If we talking local stuff then Morocco has to be the place to bring back stuff to sell.. hand made wooden boxes, hand carveded wooden items, chess sets, bongo drums, metal Moroccan lanterns, fossils by the bucket load,, hand made leather bags.. so much craft type stuff there that was really cheap..
I brought back a lovely hand made wooden chess box and the ubiquitous Moroccan rug.. also an antique leather merchants bag .. seen the same on web sites selling for £300

There is a man at our local market selling hand made Moroccan straw shopping baskets for £15 .. lovely items but I bet he buys them for a third of that or less.. he told me he brings back a trailer load every so often.. also another guy selling Spanish Olive oil..

speaking of which, I bought a 5lt can of Extra Virgin Olive oil in Makro for £10 .. special price.. it was in the Makro mail. so is it worth buying in Spain to cart home ?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
other than alcohol which I always regret if I don't get it (when I foolishly take a vow of abstinence that lasts a week)...Essentials are Pate and that square, long plain Breton cake?..name escapes me

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If we talking local stuff then Morocco has to be the place to bring back stuff to sell.. hand made wooden boxes, hand carveded wooden items, chess sets, bongo drums, metal Moroccan lanterns, fossils by the bucket load,, hand made leather bags.. so much craft type stuff there that was really cheap..

Not to mention ornate hubble bubble hash pipes?

There were streets with shops full of that stuff in the Albaiyzin district of Granada - clearly aimed at the tourist market. I bet Morocco's where the joss stick pongy hippy shops in England get it all from.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back