Calor Lite why do so many bother (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are lucky and have a huge payload and use standard Calor bottles, but with all the recent comments relating to Calor lite recalls it looks like a lot of you use the Lite ones

I once had to have one as that was all that was left on a CC site, they are certainly lighter, but even a full 6kg is not overly heavy

I think I paid a £2 premium for the Lite bottle even though I did not want it

Does it really make enough difference to payload, or is it the weight to carry, or are you all too rich :D

edit - and why don't Calor make 13kg Lite? even empty they are quite heavy

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I carry two 6Kg CalorLite cylinders David for the simple reason that they are lighter! Much lighter than the standard cylinders and less weight is important to me. As they say in Tescos, every little helps!

AND, the 'Lite' cylinders have a handy integral gauge on them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think they were original intended for caravans where gas bottles are generally carried in a locker on the A frame .

If you have ever towed a caravan you will appreciate how critical it is having the correct tow hitch weight. Too light and it can cause snaking.... too heavy and you can bend or damage the A frame ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I see it is a personal choice and I am not attempting to change anybody's opinion, genuinely wondered why so many seem happy to pay £2 extra for what doesn't seem much gain

But then £2 / £4 isn't much either in the whole scheme of MH ownership!!

The gauge at least confirms you have run out when you think you have and they are marginally easier to handle

I reckon it was a good marketing campaign by Calor, and it seems to have worked based on the number of comments on the recall threads

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I see it is a personal choice and I am not attempting to change anybody's opinion, genuinely wondered why so many seem happy to pay £2 extra for what doesn't seem much gain

But then £2 / £4 isn't much either in the whole scheme of MH ownership!!

The gauge at least confirms you have run out when you think you have and they are marginally easier to handle

I reckon it was a good marketing campaign by Calor, and it seems to have worked based on the number of comments on the recall threads

You paid extra on CC site David, I think it's a few pence at my local dealer Webbs in Crickhowell. Plus I've just changed two empties for 2 full...................free on the recall. That's paid for my gas use for the last ten months!(y)(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
that would be typical, they see me coming from miles I reckon

I have only had the one and presumed it was a genuine Calor surcharge

if no premium, end of question

:getmecoat:

You paid extra on CC site David, I think it's a few pence at my local dealer Webbs in Crickhowell. Plus I've just changed two empties for 2 full...................free on the recall. That's paid for my gas use for the last ten months!(y)(y)

as for the free refills, very well done sir, I am still not sure why they have been recalled, but do wonder how serious it might be and to those waiting until they are empty is it really wise to use up the last few grammes of gas before swapping :Eeek:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
we are lucky and have a huge payload and use standard Calor bottles, but with all the recent comments relating to Calor lite recalls it looks like a lot of you use the Lite ones

I once had to have one as that was all that was left on a CC site, they are certainly lighter, but even a full 6kg is not overly heavy

I think I paid a £2 premium for the Lite bottle even though I did not want it

Does it really make enough difference to payload, or is it the weight to carry, or are you all too rich :D

edit - and why don't Calor make 13kg Lite? even empty they are quite heavy
The weight difference helps my double hernia, piles, arthritis, and bad back no end. (y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
as for the free refills, very well done sir, I am still not sure why they have been recalled, but do wonder how serious it might be and to those waiting until they are empty is it really wise to use up the last few grammes of gas before swapping :Eeek:

No I don't think they saw you coming David, the CC needs to break even/make a profit on sites and putting a premium on Calor Lite is merely one way of doing it. My local store is a long term family run business of the sort that you don't find too often nowadays. They look for a sensible profit and consequently get a lot more trade from us locals! A local store for local people.............that reminds me of..........:Eeek:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My local store is a long term family run business of the sort that you don't find too often nowadays.
Where you live, its that bad that they think a super-market is a good place to sell sheep once a week. :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just out of interest been onto the Calor web site, although they make reference to the option for Lite bottles it is the one price they don't seem to quote

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Where you live, its that bad that they think a super-market is a good place to sell sheep once a week. :)

I'm pleased to report that Tesco once made noises about opening a 'convenience store' in Crickhowell, lucky for us the Webb family had bought each and every plot of land available for commercial use. Result!(y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry not read all the threads so hope not repeating stuff.

I was advised to buy Calorlite to make it easier for me to lift..... thankfully the place had run out of Calorlite. It would have cost me about £4 to £5 extra to have it filled EVERY TIME I needed a refill as well as the extra to change to it in the first place. £5 a refill is a lot when on basic money and every penny counts.

I too don't understand why the big issue about buying Lite.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
They are slightly smaller dia., in my van two standard bottles have to be wangled & kicked in to fit, the lite ones go in easy (y)

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I have two calorlite in use, they are conserably lighter, I think a standard bottle empty is the same weight as a lite full, also the lite bottles have always cost me £2.00 extra on exchange, I have just changed 2 empty for full on the recall, I have tried to fit a 13kg in the gas cuboard but they wont go through the door so 6kg,s only. Pete

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Sorry David, dont know how I managed to quote you,

Eric

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

Er YES :LOL:

Seriously for an extra couple of quid any weight saving may be worth it, or maybe we all like to have the gizmos and gadgets its like one upmanship in the playground (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Er YES :LOL:

Seriously for an extra couple of quid any weight saving may be worth it, or maybe we all like to have the gizmos and gadgets its like one upmanship in the playground (y)

I presume from your Avatar that you are in the 'too rich' camp :D

With a lump like that you surely can't have a payload issue (y)

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
No dont have a payload issue and whats wrong with our little two berth van?

No point leaving it all in the bank, or leaving it to the government when I go, we decided that we shall enjoy ourselves whilst we have our health and fitness.

:smiley:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Our old Hymer's gas locker was built for two German sized bottles, but will just take one 13kg, and one Calor Lite. Better that then running out with no replacement.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our old Hymer's gas locker was built for two German sized bottles, but will just take one 13kg, and one Calor Lite. Better that then running out with no replacement.

and newer Hymers, I did not realise until this thread that the Lite bottles were slightly smaller, but we can get a std 6kg next to a 13kg in our Hymer, just too small for 2 x 13kg

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
and newer Hymers, I did not realise until this thread that the Lite bottles were slightly smaller, but we can get a std 6kg next to a 13kg in our Hymer, just too small for 2 x 13kg
Maybe the rust has shoved the sides of our gas locker in a bit.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back