Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Travelling on a fairly quiet motorway near Metz we were following a HGV in the slow lane when for no obvious reason he swerved into middle lane. It then became apparent he had avoided going over what looked like heavy duty caravan step/lorry steps or similar. I thought we could probably drive over them but at last minute changed my mind and swerved onto hard shoulder to avoid. Immediately after a BMW overtook us spewing out what I thought was water but by the smell given off quickly realised it was petrol. The car stopped on the hard shoulder and I pulled over about 100 yards in front to see if I could be of assistance. A young woman got out and stood by the car, obviously distressed and started to use her mobile. I frantically was waving for her to come away from her car and she finally started to realise the potential for the car to ignite from the still gushing petrol leak. We then stayed with her until she was sorted out with recovery. I think she was probably a bit too close to us as she said she didn't see obstruction which we had swerved to avoid.

Rob

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Travelling on a fairly quiet motorway near Metz we were following a HGV in the slow lane when for no obvious reason he swerved into middle lane. It then became apparent he had avoided going over what looked like heavy duty caravan step/lorry steps or similar. I thought we could probably drive over them but at last minute changed my mind and swerved onto hard shoulder to avoid. Immediately after a BMW overtook us spewing out what I thought was water but by the smell given off quickly realised it was petrol. The car stopped on the hard shoulder and I pulled over about 100 yards in front to see if I could be of assistance. A young woman got out and stood by the car, obviously distressed and started to use her mobile. I frantically was waving for her to come away from her car and she finally started to realise the potential for the car to ignite from the still gushing petrol leak. We then stayed with her until she was sorted out with recovery. I think she was probably a bit too close to us as she said she didn't see obstruction which we had swerved to avoid.

Rob
Nice one Rob......er.....Did you offer her a nice bed to rest on, and recover from her shock, perchance...:sneaky::sneaky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I got 'shot down' in flames by a forum member (on another forum I hasten to add!) about my going to retrieve something on a motorway once in order to PREVENT any accidents due to debris!

We were travelling back up towards Calais and our then MH, a Rimor, had a side drop down locker on the UK driver's side in which the battery was located, despite it having 2 locks on it, it came open, I assume due to the cr@p motorway surface we were on, and our levellers and a few other bits flew out, we only knew due to the scraping noise on the road! I was concerned about the items in case they had bounced into the carriageway, so I decided to go and get them if I could. I therefore walked back along the hard shoulder - it was p*ssing down with rain at the time (which probably limited the damage to the locker flap itself!) and the traffic was light but I 'hugged' the barrier ensuring I could get out of the way over it if necessary. I found them about half a mile away and as they had remained on the hard shoulder area I was able to safely collect them up and return to the MH ... one of the levellers was cracked but still whole fortunately so no 'jigsaw puzzle' pieces to pick up! I was soaked through but it was worth it to ensure no accident was caused by the items.

So, should I have left them, called the Police (goodness knows how long they would've taken to come, if at all!) or just carried on regardless ... discuss!!!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Good result for you, not sure why you thought you might have gone over it though, if the lorry didn't

Main reason lorry didn't just drive over it would have been to save his tyres and also more likely to stop it being flung back at you following him

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Good result for you, not sure why you thought you might have gone over it though, if the lorry didn't

Main reason lorry didn't just drive over it would have been to save his tyres and also more likely to stop it being flung back at you following him

Obviously would have steered to make object go under centre of vehicle but glad I chose differently!

Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back