Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
high wycombe
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
six
:Sad: Lets stand a cheer to the boys and girls of our Army, Navy and Air Force this night of hope and sadness lets stand and salute one and all for their brave fight :Sad:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I could have gone to the british legion event this evening but knew it would not be wise, so mum went.

I watched on tv and cried most of the way through it.

I always watched it with my dad god rest his soul and we used to cry together. I probably cried more tonight than I ever did but smiled too. Its a weird feeling smiling and crying at the same time.

I remember my friends, young as I am who died in conflict including a boyfriend.

Dad used to tell me about family and the war and may stories come back to me.

The 3 hardest bits for me are the entry of the war widows - I really dont know where they get the courage from, they walk solidly and unfalteringly and never seem to cry.

the last post which absolutely cripples me every time.

and the falling of the poppies - which still increases in numbers each year, one for each life lost. The amount of poppies that fall I find quite devastating

But I do have happy memories and I will share one with you now.

Two of my friends, one who died in conflict in his 20s, came home on leave unexpectedly and took me out - I was 16 at the time and it was all friendship and very innocent.

They were on a 24 hour pass and in uniform

I will always remember coming out of the tube station which wasnt far from our house and with one uniformed soldier on each arm I marched down the road, proud as punch
we were all singing the elvis presley song "Did you ever have one of those days boys" (I got it in the neck the next evening after complaints from many householders in the street cause they all knew who it was and all told dad) but it is a very happy memory for me

Its only now, that I am grown up and old, that the words have such a special meaning to me

There were girls that did, and girls that didnt, and I definitely didnt and from the song I now understand the special respect and frustration those young soldiers on 24 hour leave had

We remained friends for years, one was killed in action and one moved abroad and we lost contact.

jolly wally

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Nr S****horpe
Funster No
Exp
Remember them

Age shall not werry them nor the years condem them, at the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remmember them!.

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
This is Laurens, my 13 year old son, who was proud this morning to march in his No 1's for Queen and country !!

Kind regards

Maddie

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Here he is. First one in the picture !!

Maddie

Attachments

• Remembrance parade '08007 (600 x 450).jpg
    Remembrance parade '08007 (600 x 450).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
larrythelamb

larrythelamb

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
high wycombe
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
six
hi maddie
your son sure dose look as proud as punch :Smile: hope he stayed dry and not
as wet as we got but hy keep on smiling :Smile:

larry and gill

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We were so lucky this morning with the weather as the sun was shining. It is storming and raining now.

Maddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
poppy day

I found today that most people talked of the 2 world wars and they seemed to forget or not realized that we should also say a thank you for the young men and women killed and maimed in the modern wars as they and their families need help to.
We have a friend who's son in law went to the desert and came back with a form of MS and he has sat for 4 days this week selling poppies and raised £4000.00's.
When he got home he couldn't stand up but he went back the next day to be outside his local Tesco.
He is still a hero in our eyes still fighting for his mates against all odds.

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Here he is. First one in the picture !!

Maddie

I bet he was so proud and he looked so smart and demure too.

I hope he got a chance to chat to some of the vets they all have such fantastic stories to tell and he will remember it throughout his life.

I am thrilled he got the opportunity to take part xxxx

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi Maddie,

You should be very proud of your son, he looks as proud as punch at being on parade this morning.

I was a sea cadet many many years ago, TS Robert Hitchens based in Falmouth and I went on several remembrance parades. Today I was on our loacl parade proudly wearing my medals and marching in respect for those that have made the ultimate sacrifice.

Well done and he's done you proud.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I found today that most people talked of the 2 world wars and they seemed to forget or not realized that we should also say a thank you for the young men and women killed and maimed in the modern wars as they and their families need help to.
We have a friend who's son in law went to the desert and came back with a form of MS and he has sat for 4 days this week selling poppies and raised £4000.00's.
When he got home he couldn't stand up but he went back the next day to be outside his local Tesco.
He is still a hero in our eyes still fighting for his mates against all odds.

Now, this is a very controversial post that I am making so before I start, it is not meant to offend anyone so please dont take it the wrong way.

I have great admiration for all servicemen and women, those dead, those living and those who have been discharged through injury. Many ex serviceman give up a lot of time to raie money for their colleagues and get no thanks for it.

We always remember the dead which is quite right. And the annual tributes are very fitting.

I have memory problems as some of you will be aware, but I cannot recall ever, any ceremony for those who have survived the various wars, but survived with injuries, lost limbs, mental health problems etc.

Is it not about time, these valued contributors were honoured in the same was as those who died for us. I ask this because these people have fought valiantly for us and suffered because of it.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I went to a memorial service at St. Pauls in London earlier this year and we not only remembered those who died in Northern Ireland, both Military and Civilian but we gave thanks to all those who survived.

Think of all the church services which are being held for our troops coming home from the middle east, they give thanks to the survivors as well as remembering the dead.

So these events do take place but they are not as well advertised as remembrance parades.

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I totally agree that the living should be remembered too which they did in the service this morning.
My stepson is with the Royal Marines and is out in Afghanistan at this moment in time.
All our prayers went out to those who have passed away, those who came back injured or healthy and those who are still fighting.

Maddie

OP
OP
larrythelamb

larrythelamb

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
high wycombe
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
six
lets celebrate the boys and girls that have arrived home safe and sound :Smile:. lets think of those that have arrived home injured :Sad: lets us pray for them that did not come home fathers sons and daughters :Sad:

larry and gill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back