Smartphone app for levelling & positioning ref. sun (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
There is a free smartphone app from Truma that looks useful:
"An absolute highlight of the Truma app are two camping tools: Where is the best place for my vehicle? Where is the sun at what time? The Truma sun dial helps select the right position and slot for the vehicle via a compass that shows where and when the sun rises and sets and where it reaches its highest point. And that's not all. The Truma app also has a vehicle levelling function to ensure that the caravan or motorcaravan is perfectly horizontal. Just place your smartphone on the floor of the vehicle, enter the axle distance and the app will guide you through the levelling process with brief voice instructions and acoustic signals."
See Broken Link Removed
It's easier to use than it sounds & is available free on Google Play or iTunes (y) Like things that makes life easier!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
To position, I normally just look up at the sun.. and for leveling a small spirit level I have on my key ring

never went wrong yet..

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Mmmm sounds handy if you're into gadgets not sure I could go to all that trouble.
Not bothered where the sun comes up or goes down in relation to the van being parked.
Not bothered about level either but do have a little post spirit level £1.50 B&Q drop it on the table as we park gotta have my head higher than my feet in bed.
Takes all of 5 seconds. :)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We do have a little level too but other half already has a basic app for this & always whips his phone out! So now with what looks like a better app he is very happy so thought I would share the joy in case there are other boys out there that like their gadgety toys:D

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Got a spirit level app and a satfinder app but the site I'm on now, the only way to get a level pitch would be via the use of a large roller type thingy. However since I love gadgets I'm going to download it anyway on the proviso that if I forget my phone is on the floor and I stand on it you will give me yours (y)(y)(y)

Tested - it's pretty good Wombles, unfortunately I'm travelling solo which makes it a bit more difficult to get that basketball in the hoop on the levelling! Ps I used the dinette table rather than the floor being the clumsiest person ever conceived.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks, I'll give it a go though I have a compass for when the sun is obscured and a little thing with two spirit levels for working out where the levelling ramps go, or ramp singular on the current site we are on.

Our biggest mistake on our first trip to sunny Europe was adopting the UK habit of wanting as much sun as possible.

Now we always park as far as possible with the entrance and awning on the north side so we can sit in the shade.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think it will be a popular app. Loads of people on rallies, if they cannot see it because of cloud or darkness, the first question they ask is where is the sun most of the day?

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Handy to know as I like to keep the sun off the fridge vents if possible, if putting the awning out isn't possible. Recently got a fridge fan fitted on the advice of a fellow motorhomer, will see how it works in the summer :)

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Went to get the app-seems my HTC phone isn't 'smart' enough :( so I'll just rely on our cross spirit level on work surface just inside hab door.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Sorry to hi jack ........ Fridge fan please explain I'm intrigued
It's a fan which kicks in automatically when it reaches a certain temperature outside the van. It's fitted inside the fridge vent, like I say it was suggested to me by someone who had also had problems with the fridge struggling to keep cool in temperatures over 30 C. They are not expensive, especially since I have had to replace a fridge already (under warranty thankfully) :whew:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Just need an app to stop us squabble over which pitch to park on now and if we should reverse or drive in. Thanks

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I usually like to park with my awning facing roughly south. The fridge is on the awning side which isn't ideal but the awning keeps most of the sun off if it's out. Facing the awning North the sun is on the 'unprotected' side of the MH so although it's cooler under the awning, the MH interior heats up too much.
In the UK it doesn't matter so much as the sun will be behind cloud most of the time and the awning will be out to give a sheltered area to dry the dog.

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
I used to like the front of the van slighthly down as we have a fixed bed and we sleep front to back with heads at the back. This could be determined by eye really. I have a small spirit level like a pen which i would put across the top of the heater control dials to check side to side,

don

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
hingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
We usually set up with door away from wind for more comfort, plus makes awning/sunshade more stable, it has worked for us for over 30 years.

Don

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
The iPhone Compass app will show you where South is and a side swipe on the screen will change to a Spirit level app which goes green when the iPhone is laid level. No need for another app, it's already there. (y)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
level.png
I use one of these on a worktop. They are standard appliances in most motorhomes.
Place once in each direction then pull ring on top once they stop rolling onto the floor.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've just downloaded it and it seems to run fine on my Nexus tablet. It shows how much each wheel has to be raised but hard to see what advantage it has over a little spirit level. But this is only a first impression, I'll give it another try sometime and try the voice commands.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
This app does more than just tell you if your van is level, it also allows you to download the Truma operators instructions for your various appliances which can be handy to have when things don't go according to plan. Useful little app and free too.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back