Going to Sicily - any advice re places to stay. (1 Viewer)

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Yep Sicily's name got drawn from the hat so it looks like winter there for us. Other than the usual round up of things to beware of - Horse's Heads and Omertà, has anyone got any worthwhile advice on good spots to visit and camper sites. Also any advice on ferries, either from that end of the toe bit of italy or even from Sardinia would be greatly appreciated .
Cheers
Ponyboy

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This may be an entirely subjective view but I have a vision of modern Italy being cursed by poor roads and uncollected rubbish. The thought of driving the length of the country to reach Sicily through these trials puts me off.

But as a Montelbano fan the idea of reaching the island via Corsica and Sardinia appeals, though it would probably be expensive in ferries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Yep Sicily's name got drawn from the hat so it looks like winter there for us. Other than the usual round up of things to beware of - Horse's Heads and Omertà, has anyone got any worthwhile advice on good spots to visit and camper sites. Also any advice on ferries, either from that end of the toe bit of italy or even from Sardinia would be greatly appreciated .
Cheers
Ponyboy
Sicily is great don't be put of by negativity hilldweller knows Italy I got advice of off him he was spot on.

PHD

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Cranwell, Sleaford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
This may be an entirely subjective view but I have a vision of modern Italy being cursed by poor roads and uncollected rubbish. The thought of driving the length of the country to reach Sicily through these trials puts me off.

But as a Montelbano fan the idea of reaching the island via Corsica and Sardinia appeals, though it would probably be expensive in ferries.
Our March plan is France, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily. The ferries aren't too bad as we're under 6m and you can camp on deck on some of them which means no cabin. It's competitive with fuel to drive down Italy. e.g one way from Livorno to Bastia with 6m MH is €152 at the end of March. Toulon=>Ajaccio is about the same saving you a long drive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
See - this is why everyone should be forced to take out motorhome fun membership from birth. Great advice and I will have a look at what Patric has to say. PHD - I will look at the island hopping option, I loved Corsica even though I only saw half of it in the month we had there. Looked longingly seaward from Bonifacio as the Sardinia ferry sailed. Yep - definitely interested in travelling on the big blue wobbly thing what mermaids swim in.
Thx everyone

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
can't find Patric on the search engine, have you got any more details Hilldweller?

Oh dear. I can't find him either. He did Sicily big time about 2 years ago and it came across as well worth it. Sorry.

We've never been further south than Sorrento. We've been many many times and will be going again. Love the place though I have thought Sicily is a bit far when there is so much on offer closer to home.

Make sure you research the weather, Sicily is not as far south as southern Spain and that gets cold in Feb.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Sciliy is great. You will have to modify your driving style though, for instance a red light just means procede with care. Camping Jonio in Catania is a good base for the east of the island. Huge amounts of Greek antiquities scattered across the island. Palermo is worth 3/4 days, Monte Carlo meets Mogadisu comes to mind. You can get a a 3 month open return for about 90 euros just north of Reggio di Calabro.
While down there in Reggio they have opened the new museum for the irace bronzes last feb. 7C bc greek statues that will take you breath away.
In Italy all nation monuments and museums are free to eu citizens over 65 you MUST however be able to prove it by carrying your passport. Finally if you like tuna, swordfish and artichokes you will enjoy. Roads are good rubbish is better than Calabria and the people are v friendly. Coastal areas are the most temperate but there are road in the interior where you need to carry snow chains or have winter tyres. There is even a flourishing ski resort on Etna. Enjoy
Dick

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I was in Sicily in May for a month, having travelled down mainland Italy and I loved it (although the roads are crap in Italy on the way down as previously mentioned, some real boneshakers off the motorways), crossing to Messina from Vila San Giovanni (95 euros for a 7.5m MH, single person, valid for three months return . I mainly used ACSI sites and visited as many Roman ruins as I could, headed West on the North coast and followed it all the way around. Campsite Valle Dei Templi is next to the ruins at Agrigento and I also went to Bar Vitelli at Savoca, where they shot scenes from the first 'Godfather' film. Its at the top of a hill and is a beautiful little place, although I should have taken the bus instead of walking up! Could have done with another few weeks in Sicily to be honest. Taormina is also fabulous but there are so many nice places to see. If it helps I kept my own, very basic, information sheets for each campsite I visited and would be happy to email them to you but I wouldn't want to put you off any sites you might have in mind! I also mapped my route and POI'S on Microsoft Autoroute 2013 if you have that :)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
While down there in Reggio they have opened the new museum for the irace bronzes last feb. 7C bc greek statues that will take you breath away.
Wasn't aware of this museum, next time thanks Glandwr (y)

OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Great info guys and Madame Le Navigateur is going to be busy overlaying all your details on her travel maps after I've brought her her morning cuppa. SMB - I'd love to hear from you and get a look at your info sheets. I'm at jc_darcy@hotmail.com

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
can't find Patric on the search engine, have you got any more details Hilldweller?

I had a search and found Patrick, he was last active in 2012 .. but can only find one post about Sicily.. and you probably missed it as he spelled it incorrectly as 'Sicilly'

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/new-photos-from-italy-tour.23646/#post-285474

Here is his profile with all his postings, don't see any more about Sicily or Sicilly

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/members/patrick.862/

all threads started by Patrick

Broken Link Removed

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Great info guys and Madame Le Navigateur is going to be busy overlaying all your details on her travel maps after I've brought her her morning cuppa. SMB - I'd love to hear from you and get a look at your info sheets. I'm at jc_darcy@hotmail.com

sent, hope its of some use to you :)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Cheers
Ponyboy

For really up to date information you can't beat this:- http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/1518/351/

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Yr right, its pretty impressive and very helpful!

Glad it was useful. They don't pull their punches when they come into contact with dodgy business either! They have some useful contacts with other long termers whose input I use for planning too!

Reactions: SMB

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back