aire in blaye trip update (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
for the last two days we have been on an aire in a place called blaye on the estuary above Bordeaux, not in any Aires book we have , admitted it doesn't have filling or emptying but it is by a massive citadel and between the sea and town, and it must hold at least 50 vans, brilliant place but only seems to be known to French as it has been full both nights but we are the only uk and just one German and one Belgian all the rest are French

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've stayed there - we only found out about it in 2009 when we were stopping on another aire and hubby got chatting to the French neighbour, she mentioned it and we've used it several times since.
Its actually not on the sea but the Gironde Estuary so you have to be careful if there's a high tide and not park too close to the edge as the water can come over, also the circus often takes over a large chunk of the area!

blaye.jpg

There's another nice stop at Bourg, south east of Blaye, which we also use, again on the side of the water and nice if you don't want to go so far off the main road on your way back up north.

bourg 1.jpg

This shows their locations:

blaye and bourg.jpg

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
there is a bar roughly where minxs map has a red spot , don't go unless you want to meet the most ignorant barman in France to my knowledge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Monman

Free Member
Dec 14, 2012
france & wales
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 1998
The Cockleshell heroes landed at Blaye after mining the ships in Bordeaux.They then walked to Ruffec

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
we also parked here back in 2007 with the RV.. plenty of space , but didn't stay the night..
it's not listed in any aires book or campincar-infos because it's not an official aire

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Thanks for posting this - I'm on my way in that general direction over the next few weeks and any extra places to stay at by the Gironde are really welcome

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we also parked here back in 2007 with the RV.. plenty of space , but didn't stay the night..
it's not listed in any aires book or campincar-infos because it's not an official aire
Why does it say aire camping car on the gate then and police come round couple of times a day. But as I said no facilities apart from skips but what surprised me no dutch they have been on every other one we have been on

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for posting this - I'm on my way in that general direction over the next few weeks and any extra places to stay at by the Gironde are really welcome
Thoroughly reccomend it large market right by the side on Wednesday and Saturday but get there early as it emptys before dinner then fills up fast after

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Did I mention its completely free but it does say maximum 48 hours don't know who checks unless that's what the police are doing

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Why does it say aire camping car on the gate then and police come round couple of times a day. But as I said no facilities apart from skips but what surprised me no dutch they have been on every other one we have been on

don't recall seeing that sign but take your word for it..

which gate ? I don't see the sign on Google street view.. maybe we are talking about a different place ?

is this it ? https://www.google.com/maps?q=Blaye...=qf0O1b4m7To8hXM-5zzBRA&cbp=12,263.96,,0,4.79

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry can't open
Sorry can't open that I'm only on my phone but is there 3 parks in a row the first 2 say no caravans or camping cars the third says only camping cars for 48 hours

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Another good aire not so far away is at St Dizant-du-Gua we stayed on it for several days..
4 Rue du Pérat
Saint-Dizant-du-Gua, Poitou-Charentes

it's free, with a drive over waste dump and fresh water.. beside a mini market

.. GPS 45.430438,-0.705942

can't find the photos.. but here it is on street view

Google map

edit.. found a picture that shows how big and empty it was.. and this was in August..

Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
R
Right iv got your picture now that's the first park you have to go past that and the next you can in fact see vans parked further on in your photo

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In fact your picture says 2011 its changed a bit now apparently there only 2 parks in your photo but there are now 3 seperatly fenced off parks the first one hasn't got a barrier but its for the market men to park their vans or cars on non market days the second is purely cars with a barrier but the third is MHS only there is in fact a forth one but that is just for coaches bringing people to the cruise ships but there were4 vans parked on there last night and no one moved them

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In fact your picture says 2011 its changed a bit now apparently there only 2 parks in your photo but there are now 3 seperatly fenced off parks the first one hasn't got a barrier but its for the market men to park their vans or cars on non market days the second is purely cars with a barrier but the third is MHS only there is in fact a forth one but that is just for coaches bringing people to the cruise ships but there were4 vans parked on there last night and no one moved them

that explains then.. a lot has changed since we were there .. cheers

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We've just treated ourselves to the Dutch published 'Camperstop Europe' book.
Surprised therefore that the 'Cloggies' haven't invaded Blaye as it's in this book.
Map Coordinates N45.12521 W00.66623 for anyone who's interested.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back