Award for Council Friendly Car Parking (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Torbay council (also in Devon) have very ambiguous signs on their carparks in Torquay stating 'No camping or caravans' and we weren't sure whether that included campervans.

A quick check on their website reveals that they allow motorhomes on any carpark where there are no height restrictions and you can buy two tickets if you can't fit into one space.

So don't get pitching a tent on a carpark in Torquay!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i realy dont see why more councils dont use there car parks for overnighting huge demand out there
Is there? Why aren't the private sector falling over themselves to reap the potential profits then? That they do not indicates that profit potential is low so that leaves local authorities as the only viable providers. Local authorities will only spend their taxpayers' money, though, if they can be shown that doing so will bring a positive benefit to the area.

As I keep saying, if anyone can identify a car park where its use for overnighting would be viable then contact the council which owns it and open discussions with them. Until people actually make a proper case then aires will not happen in the UK.

OP
OP
jemhorn
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Yes GJH thats the only way. I live in this area and have been in dialogue with the local authority about this over the last couple of years. Tourists are the life blood of this area. We have to put up with the increased traffic throughout the summer months but all the business and their employees around here rely directly or indirectly on tourism. I've spoken with the traffic wardens who are completely behind the project and added their support. What is the point of letting a revenue source, such as a massive parking space, go to waste. I've written today to say that perhaps in the future they should be considering providing a service point. There will be a charge for it as there is in most of Europe but it will also encourage Motorhomers to visit the area, perhaps stay and spend some money locally. Like it or not it's all about revenue at the end of the day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we are now parked up in an aire at blaye near Bordeaux, not in any Aires book but it is rammed with French vans, and was the same yesterday, no service but free ,middle of town and citadel

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'm not so sure about the authorities having to spend extra £'s for overnight parking :)

Apart from the amendment to the signs, I would have thought that the only other detail required, would be to open the height barrier for access :)

My only other thought and concern would be travellers. Not that I want to start a debate ref travellers, but they don't have great press and this must worry the local authorities too. Wonder what Torridge District Councils plan is regarding this :)

If other Funsters are like me, then I never even give towns or cities a second thought as historically we've not been welcomed, however should this trend change, then I for one, would use the facilities, especially if Di is with me, as it would make her getting around much easier as we'd be close enough for the electric disability buggy :)

As per the film "If you build it, they will come" :)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Bear, If you haven't been Chester is the place for you, good secure overnighting within easy walking distance of the City Centre.(y)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Thanks Bertie, I'd have never given it a thought without the prompt :)

Don't you just love the forum, spot on for all sorts of great info :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm not so sure about the authorities having to spend extra £'s for overnight parking :)

Apart from the amendment to the signs, I would have thought that the only other detail required, would be to open the height barrier for access :)
It depends on the circumstances of the individual car park. Some are built to cope only with vehicles up to 2 tonnes and might not stand up to regular heavier traffic. Depending on how the traffic order was drafted in the first place the amendments needed could be minor or extensive. In some cases change of planning consent would be required with all the public consultation which that entails. Some car parks (as we found with Guisborough for instance) may be in areas where motorhome owners don't want to go, so any expenditure would be wasted. Etc, etc............

That is why an individual case is necessary for each potential location.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes GJH thats the only way. I live in this area and have been in dialogue with the local authority about this over the last couple of years

And there you have the answer Graham..
Honest truth is that Jemhorn has shown FAR more resilience than I and I believe most people

Anything that takes two years is simply too protracted ( and in fact demonstrates extremely well how so far up their own red tape almost every council in the land is )

These issues and others of a similar nature SHOULD be able to be fully sorted out in a couple of months at the very most.. Instead, the councils will employ people to examine the various aspects who in turn will emply others to see over other possible issues..

Basically all it SHOULD take is one council meeting with a legal rep to hand and a 'works' rep there..

Instead it is all just a sad joke ( so much the same as ANYTHING even vaguely connected to the politico movement )

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
i realy dont see why more councils dont use there car parks for overnighting huge demand out there

Is there? Why aren't the private sector falling over themselves to reap the potential profits then? That they do not indicates that profit potential is low so that leaves local authorities as the only viable providers. Local authorities will only spend their taxpayers' money, though, if they can be shown that doing so will bring a positive benefit to the area.

As I keep saying, if anyone can identify a car park where its use for overnighting would be viable then contact the council which owns it and open discussions with them. Until people actually make a proper case then aires will not happen in the UK.

Not a fair comparison, Graham, as I know you know.;) There can be a huge demand for motorhome parking, but not at a price that will repay the investment needed from parking fees alone.

The private sector can only get their return from the site fees they charge the motorhomers. The local authority can look at the wider picture - if the tourism revenue into an area increases overall, there is a benefit to the area. It is one of the duties of a local authority to provide & maintain the local infrastructure needed by an area for it to prosper. Councils can & do provide free car parking if they think there is an economic benefit to the area as a whole. They could provide motorhome parking at a realistic price if likewise convinced.

As councils in general don't seem to be able to see this benefit for themselves, or feel that the difficulties caused by misuse will outweigh the benefits, you are absolutely correct that it will be up to interested groups and individuals who do believe there is a benefit (to the local community, not to themselves!) to make the case to the council.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The local authority can look at the wider picture - if the tourism revenue into an area increases overall, there is a benefit to the area.
I absolutely agree - but somebody has to provide the evidence that there will be that overall benefit.

I mentioned Guisborough earlier. Those of us pushing for the stopover were convinced that the evidence was there. Enthusiastic councillors and officers also became convinced. Unfortunately we were wrong. "Build it and they will come" did not happen. The experience made me, for one, rather more cautious.

The case has to be convincing if we are to promote the spending of other people's money. The fact that few (unlike Jemhorn, who I salute) are willing to put the effort in indicates that providing a convincing case is not straightforward.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
These issues and others of a similar nature SHOULD be able to be fully sorted out in a couple of months at the very most.. Instead, the councils will employ people to examine the various aspects who in turn will emply others to see over other possible issues..
If you can find a way to shorten the process, John, you will have my full support. Councils, though, are bound to work within the law and that means that a couple of months is unrealistic - especially where public consultation is required.

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
but if you are p hgv you can park in coach pk they go on tax disc //now what do they do now no tax disc

QUOTE="Janine, post: 1127562, member: 142"]Torbay council (also in Devon) have very ambiguous signs on their carparks in Torquay stating 'No camping or caravans' and we weren't sure whether that included campervans.

A quick check on their website reveals that they allow motorhomes on any carpark where there are no height restrictions and you can buy two tickets if you can't fit into one space.

So don't get pitching a tent on a carpark in Torquay![/QUOTE]

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Fylde Council have permitted overnight parking for MH's for a year now at Lytham St Annes. The car park is well situated within walking distance of the town and could be a good stop over if anyone is visiting Blackpool for the illuminations. Check out their web page for details. No facilities as such but they are at least trying and have reports prepared on the usage/success etc and how it could be taken forward.

OP
OP
jemhorn
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
You have to bear in mind that councils tend to set their car park charges etc once a year and then has to be published in the local press. So it may take up to a year to get a resolution to allow overnighting. Torridge have been really good in providing a ' Motorhome' button on the car park pay stations. They need to provide better signage. The traveller argument is not a strong one as travellers tend to use out of the way and relatively quite areas where they can set up camp. All local authorities have powers to deal with illegal sites should they wish to exercise them. I also think it helped matters that we are in a tourist area. Come and see us!

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You have to bear in mind that councils tend to set their car park charges etc once a year and then has to be published in the local press.
Yes and, in addition, each council prepares an annual parking report and many review provision regularly.
The experiences of different councils in Devon are interesting. Torridge has been successful but Teignbridge encountered problems after introducing overnighting in a couple of places a few years ago - they discovered that change of planning consent was required and that is, as yet, unresolved. East Devon undertook a full review last year (contained in Cabinet papers Broken Link Removed) and found significant abuse by people taking advantage of cheap parking rates to use car parks for winter storage.
Even Fylde (mentioned above) has progressed only so far because of the planning consent changes which would be required for further development.
It is not as straightforward a process as many lay people believe and without evidence indicating that the work is worth doing there is generally little incentive for officers (whose numbers have, of course, been cut in recent years) to undertake it on top of their existing duties.

OP
OP
jemhorn
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
I emailed Torridge DC to congratulate them on the award and within the reply, I quote "I never imagined how popular the motorhome parking would be it has certainly exceeded my expectations" So there, next step service point?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Saw this on Fistral Beach Newquay. I had to read it a few times but my interpretation is that Motorhomers can stay and sleep overnight but motorists may not.
There is of course a charge for overnighting but you at least you can park

P1050044.JPG

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Lets ALL take a copy of the press cutting and send it to the person in charge of parking in our own areas.

colyboy
Already have. Quite surprising some Councils have vision!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Saw this on Fistral Beach Newquay. I had to read it a few times but my interpretation is that Motorhomers can stay and sleep overnight but motorists may not.
That's the way I read it as well. Whether (as a privately owned car park) it has a caravan site licence or whether it is just operating without one is not clear.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
TORRIDGE 1 SCARBOROUGH 0
But Torridge doesn't have the long standing planning restriction which Scarborough has Roger. As posted many times, Scarborough members and officers were all for allowing overnighting in car parks until the implications of the restriction became apparent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back