Charging Vehicle Batt as well as Leisure Batt from EHU (1 Viewer)

The seasider

Free Member
Oct 2, 2014
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Ok, this has bin buzzin around in my head fer ages now & it came to a head <<< No Pun Intended)!!! this morning .....

I have a Citroen Relay (X250) its got a "Crunchie" gearbox so its in fer a re-build tomorrow (hence we aint bin out in it over the last 3 to 4 weeks) ...I keep it connected at home on the drive to our House Power supply charging the leisure battery ect ect ....

went to it this morning & NUTS!!!! the damned Vehicle battery was near Flat !!! ....after telling "Lucy" she was a good girl & we wouldn't get rid of her she eventually fired into life ... (We call her "Lucy" due to the copious amounts of "Gear" we carry about) .. her FULL Name is .. LUCY QUIPMENT as in "LOOSE EQUIPMENT" ...

But I digress ... As I said I keep the leisure Batt on Charge so why shouldn't I keep the "Vehicle" Batt on charge as well ... I Note there is a "Battery Master" available from "van Bitz (But it seems a tad expensive) .... Could I just install ANOTHER leisure Battery Charger & Connect it to the Vehicle Battery to keep it topped UP ????

All ideas/thoughts are welcome

Regards

Keith J

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A new leisure charger will cost far more than a battery master.
A Small trickle charger temporarily connected to the van battery will do the job and only cost a few quid.

OP
OP
T

The seasider

Free Member
Oct 2, 2014
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Thanks for the reply Pappajohn ... the reason I said a Leisure Charger was I "THINK" I have one in my garage ..... A friend of mine used to use a "Mobility Scooter" & has recently bought a newer version the old one is sitting in my garage waiting for me to build a Go Kart out of it for my Grandson ........... it has a Charger with it that I THINK is a very capable "Leisure Charger" ...... I was considering installing that & connecting it up ON A PERMANENT BASIS to the Vehicle Battery ...... (A sort of "Fit & Forget" arrangement) ... I pull up at home plug "Lucy" in & she gets BOTH Batteries charged up on a Trickle Charge Basis ..... Ready fer our next trip out .....

Thoughts ????????????????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

The seasider

Free Member
Oct 2, 2014
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
just link across the split charge relay with a low amp fused wire instant fix
Thats the point when I built this conversion I PURPOSELY DID NOT fit a Split Charge relay .. I wanted (& Still do) each "System" separate from the other (i've had Split charge relays fail on me before) theres nowt like after spending all day at the beach you jump in the driving seat turn the key & get that ominous "CLICK" .....(& the Tides racing in towards you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

OP
OP
T

The seasider

Free Member
Oct 2, 2014
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
so how do you intend to charge the leisure battery and supply the 12v for the fridge (if fitted) when driving ?
i have a "Zig" unit installed to charge the Leisure Batt & supply the Fridge with 12 Volts whilst travelling (we 100% stay on sites with EHU's) My wifes Heart problems necessitate that we have access to 240 AC to run her "Medical Equipment" whilst we are away from home.....

My initial thoughts were (as of this morning) ..... because I keep the camper connected to the mains 24/7 (The only time its "Stand Alone" is travelling between Sites/Home/Sites ect) I may as well keep the "vehicle" battery on charge as well as the Leisure Battery .... its just finding an "Economical" way of doing it ..... (I'm a tight Arse really & don't wanna spend £60 odd Quid on that "Battery Master) ..

Keith

OP
OP
T

The seasider

Free Member
Oct 2, 2014
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
A small trickle charger is available from today at a lidl supermarket near you.
http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=16838
It can be left connected without harming the battery.
What Would / Could happen if I wired that permanently to my Vehicle battery & I started the engine ???? ....Of course it would longer be connected to the "Mains" as I would have disconnected from the EHU ... (just thinking of "Pushing Current" BACKWARDS TOWARDS the Charger) via the vans Alternator ????

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i have a "Zig" unit installed to charge the Leisure Batt & supply the Fridge with 12 Volts whilst travelling

The Zig won't charge or supply 12v when traveling. .. if you supply the 12v for the fridge cooling element from the leisure battery while traveling, as it is not being charged by the alternator it will drain it quite quickly.. other option is to keep it on gas..

Having the trickle charger connected permanently to the chassis battery isn't a problem. The voltage being supplied by the alternator won't do any harm.

It's odd not having a split charge relay, can't really see the issue .. it's been the standard and reliable method for donkeys years for charging the leisure battery and supplying the fridge while on the move.. parked up the relay is open so not supplying anything ...

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the scooter charger is almost definitely 24v so no use to a van battery of 12v. a cheaper alternative to the battery master is about for under £22 on either cak tanks website or ebay
Broken Link Removed

just 3 wires to connect, and when leisure battery is full the charger gets diverted to charge the van battery

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back