novicevampervanman

Free Member
Oct 1, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Any advice would be appreciated. Not buying immediately, we have a limited budget of probably about £8K so are resigned to a pretty old model, we have two young kids so in need of a four berth with a view to taking frequent trips to France. We know nothing so any pointers would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Welcome to fun, with your budget be careful of scams on eBay often happens with motorhomes.

Make very sure there is no damp in it, a worry with older vans and very costly. Use the forum and ask as many questions as you want, good luck. :welc:

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hiya and welcome, we pick our new to us MH up on Saturday after a couple of months looking.
1) Seatbelts for the children are a must. Not all have them.
2) layout that works, over cab double for you or the youngsters.
3) not sure in your price range but fixed double for you.
4) check for damp, buy a damp meter.

Have a great time looking.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi :)

Seat belts - make sure there are enough 3-point ones for all occupants and don't touch one that only has side facing seats with lap belts in the rear! Payload - check it is sufficient for your needs.

Have a good rootle round the forum as there are lots of threads from others who've done the same - research, research and research again until you know what the terms mean/ins and outs, then you can go out and buy one knowing what you're talking about and are much less likely to have any issues if you know what's what.

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Any advice would be appreciated. Not buying immediately, we have a limited budget of probably about £8K so are resigned to a pretty old model, we have two young kids so in need of a four berth with a view to taking frequent trips to France. We know nothing so any pointers would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
You'll get around a 1989 to 1992 Hymer 544 for the money you want to spent, all I can say is you see loads of them flying about and the old Hymers were better made than the newer ones.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

novicevampervanman

Free Member
Oct 1, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thank you all very much for the welcome and very helpful replies, I will follow up on all the great advice. Yes that Hymer B544 was one of the ones that kept catching my eye when I've been looking around so it's good to hear the older ones are considered good quality. Thanks again all.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back