LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Now don't laugh, but after many attempts to find that sodding place ( coordinates, various GPS units, French folk sometimes pointing and waving while others shrug as only a French person can !! ) I have come to the conclusion the place does not REALLY exist but is a total wind up generated by those that are in the inner circle* for those who aint !!! :ROFLMAO:

Ok, I will admit it is a clever rouse, and there amust be dozens of mapping firms and thousands of people helping to maintain the joke.. but come on now, its time to 'fess up' ..

Please PM me confirming it is just a massive and clever wind up ( do not want to spoil it so will keep it all a secret.. :thumb: )

*Apparently there IS an inner circle and us mere mortals are not in it ??? :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Now don't laugh, but after many attempts to find that sodding place ( coordinates, various GPS units, French folk sometimes pointing and waving while others shrug as only a French person can !! ) I have come to the conclusion the place does not REALLY exist but is a total wind up generated by those that are in the inner circle* for those who aint !!! :ROFLMAO:

Ok, I will admit it is a clever rouse, and there amust be dozens of mapping firms and thousands of people helping to maintain the joke.. but come on now, its time to 'fess up' ..

Please PM me confirming it is just a massive and clever wind up ( do not want to spoil it so will keep it all a secret.. :thumb: )

Here you go...
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=gr...anoid=WbRFCMFLoEl3Am8MdGuJxw&cbp=12,9.22,,0,0

*Apparently there IS an inner circle and us mere mortals are not in it ??? :winky:

Here you go...
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=gravelines&hl=en&ll=50.987999,2.122423&spn=0.001104,0.00327&safe=off&hnear=Gravelines,+Nord,+Nord-Pas-de-Calais,+France&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=50.987999,2.122423&panoid=WbRFCMFLoEl3Am8MdGuJxw&cbp=12,9.22,,0,0

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We stayed here on our last night before coming home, 6 Euro charge, pleasant enough but nothing special especially as no facilities/water/ disposal etc. The town was like a ghost town at 7pm.

Rob

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We are going to a couple of Christmas markets in Belgium at the end of November. On a night Le Shuttle which gets us into Calais around 11pm, but don't fancy staying at Cite Europe - too much recent bad press.
So looking at staying at Gravelines. Couple of (probably) silly question:
Do we just pay the 6 euro at a machine on site ?
Do we just turn up and park where we want ?

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Why didn't I read this a couple of hours ago, we have just found Gravelines after driving round in ever decreasing circles. Nice area behind the town walls with some good sculptures. Worth a stroll round.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We stayed there earlier in the year. There is a machine to pay on site and bays are now marked. There is now also a new water/waste disposal just up the road by the police station and it is signed from the aire.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We stayed here on our last night before coming home, 6 Euro charge, pleasant enough but nothing special especially as no facilities/water/ disposal etc. The town was like a ghost town at 7pm.

Rob
water and disposable about hundred yards away, follow the signs, pmu in town open till 10 others later especially rudys across the bridge towards lidl

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
:):)

Attachments

• Parking at Gravelines, France.JPG
    Parking at Gravelines, France.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Parked at gravelines last night , only 6 vans there, one complaint though , says 3 euros on the machine from 1st of October but no way of making the machine take anything but 6 euros, we paid the six but two of the others wouldn't pay it and paid nowt and as far as I know no one checked, still the best first and last stop for me though, love the place.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Parked at gravelines last night , only 6 vans there, one complaint though , says 3 euros on the machine from 1st of October but no way of making the machine take anything but 6 euros, we paid the six but two of the others wouldn't pay it and paid nowt and as far as I know no one checked, still the best first and last stop for me though, love the place.
Have a whip down the beach, bet you can still find 303 ammunition in the dunes........(y)(y) I found a rifle!!

micky drip

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
We stayed there last week, I was raising our Welsh flag, as I had at every stop on our tour of Mosel (it`s always a good icebreaker/Baileys attraction) when two French men asked me to take it down. I did so without a fight. (when in Rome...........)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
last time we was there about 18 months ago it was alive with rats they were inside the bins and running back to the grass behind

Aug 28, 2013
luton
Funster No
MH
Elddis Acardo 125
Exp
it was very clean and tidy when we were there at the end of August

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We stayed there last week, I was raising our Welsh flag, as I had at every stop on our tour of Mosel (it`s always a good icebreaker/Baileys attraction) when two French men asked me to take it down. I did so without a fight. (when in Rome...........)

Oddly enough...
Was speaking to a french couple a while back about flags
A Welsh flag was pointed at by the woman and said she did not like to see such things.
I asked why ?
The answer was somewhat surprising to say the least..................................

Because it is the flag of the old imperial Germany and should be forgotten.

When I told them it was a Welsh flag with a Welsh dragon on it they were stunned.. even asked if I was sure etc etc...
Now I cannot see any resemblance at all but hey ho !!!
Might just explain the attitude ?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
last time we was there about 18 months ago it was alive with rats they were inside the bins and running back to the grass behind
Almost anywhere there are bins , you will find rats, at least they are emptyed regular

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Oddly enough...
Was speaking to a french couple a while back about flags
A Welsh flag was pointed at by the woman and said she did not like to see such things.
I asked why ?
The answer was somewhat surprising to say the least..................................

Because it is the flag of the old imperial Germany and should be forgotten.

When I told them it was a Welsh flag with a Welsh dragon on it they were stunned.. even asked if I was sure etc etc...
Now I cannot see any resemblance at all but hey ho !!!
Might just explain the attitude ?

We just keep on learning don't we?

Confused though, as I suspect they were, cant really see the comparison either

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Having travelled Germany and Austria extensively I must admit there is a bewildering array of flags to be seen.. Most seem to be regional but I really cannot remember ever seeing one that looks like the Welsh flag !

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
maybe here.jpg
maybe here?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Could it be that raising a flag of another country seems to the locals that you are making a declaration that the place you are in is somehow part of Wales and you are somehow superior to them and taking over the place rather than acting as a guest in their town.

Of course it could be the resemblance to the old German flag could be the reason for their displeasure but personally I wouldn't dream of raising a large display of our flag when in another country because I think it might be taken as disrespectful to my hosts especially when using facilities provided by them and in any case, although proud of my country I don't feel the need to publicly declare it wherever I may be.

Ships raise the flag of the country they are visiting when they go into a port as a mark of respect, perhaps raising your own prominently is seen as the opposite. I think, if a French, or any other nationality motorhome took us residence in my town and raised a large flag I might ask what thats all about unless it was a discreet one in a window which is not the case here.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back