Had our first trip. But where next? (1 Viewer)

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
We decided on the New Forest as my wife has always wanted to go there... and now we can't wait to go back!

The drive from East Kent was about 180 miles and was pleasant and without incident, other than the usual slight panic at huge unfamiliar roundabouts.

We had three nights at Holmsley and then three more at Long Meadow. Both sites had some very good points and some minor downsides but on the whole it was a really lovely first trip and we're looking forward to going off somewhere else.

Therein lies the problem: where do we go?

As I mentioned, we're in East Kent; we can only go in so many directions and everywhere nice seems very far away. We're kind-of looking at Devon and Cornwall next year, and maybe the Cotswolds sometime in the spring, but because we haven't travelled much before we don't really know where we would want to spend the time.

We like walking with the dogs along the coast here, and we all loved the forest, so could I possibly have some suggestions of must-visit places in southern England that we haven't thought of yet?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If you're a member of the Caravan and Camping Club, they organise lots of Temporary holiday sites. You pay per unit, not per person and there is just fresh water, toilet emptying point and waste water disposal. Occasionally you
L get one that has access to showers, laundry ( as I did in North Wales)

I can recommend the Temp Hol Site in a Lymington - walking distance to the town and the Isle of Wight ferry.
Ditto Burton Bradstock in Dorset. Chocolate box village, 5 mins walk to beach. Half hour walk along beach to West Bay.

Lots of sites in Devon, both north and south. It's October 1 st tomorrow so dogs can go on all the beaches--- yipeeeee--- in summer allowed on just a few in this area.

If you want to venture to Wales I can highly recommend Cwmcuttan, very pretty site.
Bedgellert is a forest site that's also good. Portmadoc beach is stunning.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
www.ukcampsite.co.uk if you are not already using it. loads in Kent, Sussex and everywhere else for that matter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
There's always the isle of Wight! , if you are in the caravan club , I think they do ferry inclusive 4/5 day breaks quite reasonable ,if not contact Whitefield Forest site on the island , nice site similar to new forest sites but with a new toilet block , site is half a mile walk from tesco's and no more than 20 miles from anything else on the island.
Terry

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Blimey! - if I lived that near to the Channel Tunnel I'd be going to France every other weekend. Is there a reason why you're not considering France?

We hadn't thought seriously about going to France yet. Probably because we know less about camping in France then we do about camping in England! I shall have to look into it more but we're lugging two elderly Yorkies around with us, for the near future at least, and the necessary vaccinations etc. put me off. It seems a bit cruel at their time of life :)

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
What about East Anglia?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
How long can you get away for? The South Downs are nice but we hate the M25 on Friday Sunday afternoons so tend to go north to the Peaks. East Anglia has been a family destination of ours for years.

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
If your still learning (when do we stop) why not try some local sites , Canterbury , Brighton , Dale acres.
When we go local in the van sometimes it feels that we are a million miles away from home . Its just great to be away . Whatever you do , enjoy yourselves . Also if you do need advice , people generally fall over themselves to help on sites.
Don't forget to wave now, while out and about :)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
some nice costal walks along the suffolk coast aldeburg and south wold have sites almost on the front
mersea island is a little closer several sites there then theres burnham and southminster all within reach for a weekend for you
theres lots of sites in kent as well whitstable along to sheppywe find it doesnt matter to much where the site is weve been known to go 6 miles away for a couple of nights its just being away from home in the van that matters to us other wise the days can mould into one

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
If you're a member of the Caravan and Camping Club, they organise lots of Temporary holiday sites. You pay per unit, not per person and there is just fresh water, toilet emptying point and waste water disposal. Occasionally you
L get one that has access to showers, laundry ( as I did in North Wales).

There are lots of local weekend rallies too, organised by East Kent DA, West Kent DA and the Kent section of the Motor Caravan Section, we do lots of them as it gets us out most weekends

we also rally with the Caravan Club centres i.e. East Kent, West Kent and South London

So between all of the above we are out most weekends and are still getting to parts of the south east that we've never been to before.

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
We decided on the New Forest as my wife has always wanted to go there... and now we can't wait to go back!

The drive from East Kent was about 180 miles and was pleasant and without incident, other than the usual slight panic at huge unfamiliar roundabouts.

We had three nights at Holmsley and then three more at Long Meadow. Both sites had some very good points and some minor downsides but on the whole it was a really lovely first trip and we're looking forward to going off somewhere else.

Therein lies the problem: where do we go?

As I mentioned, we're in East Kent; we can only go in so many directions and everywhere nice seems very far away. We're kind-of looking at Devon and Cornwall next year, and maybe the Cotswolds sometime in the spring, but because we haven't travelled much before we don't really know where we would want to spend the time.

We like walking with the dogs along the coast here, and we all loved the forest, so could I possibly have some suggestions of must-visit places in southern England that we haven't thought of yet?
Orkney stunning up there....

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
There's always the isle of Wight! , if you are in the caravan club , I think they do ferry inclusive 4/5 day breaks quite reasonable ,if not contact Whitefield Forest site on the island , nice site similar to new forest sites but with a new toilet block , site is half a mile walk from tesco's and no more than 20 miles from anything else on the island.
Terry

That's not a bad idea at all. Thanks.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
some nice costal walks along the suffolk coast aldeburg and south wold have sites almost on the front
mersea island is a little closer several sites there then theres burnham and southminster all within reach for a weekend for you
theres lots of sites in kent as well whitstable along to sheppywe find it doesnt matter to much where the site is weve been known to go 6 miles away for a couple of nights its just being away from home in the van that matters to us other wise the days can mould into one

I know what you mean; our weekends involved driving around Thanet looking for things we hadn't seen before we got the van! Thanks for the suggestions.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
If your still learning (when do we stop) why not try some local sites , Canterbury , Brighton , Dale acres.
When we go local in the van sometimes it feels that we are a million miles away from home . Its just great to be away . Whatever you do , enjoy yourselves . Also if you do need advice , people generally fall over themselves to help on sites.
Don't forget to wave now, while out and about :)

We were waved at many times on the way to the New Forest, which was unexpected and nice. Caravanners didn't seem to though. Do we not talk to them? ;)

We seem to be driving around the local area a lot more and finding places we'd never been to before. The Kent Walks app helps a lot there. Kinsgdown, Deal a couple of days ago, which was nice, then we headed toward Canterbury via Wingham. Of course, because we like a bit of countryside, I took the country route forgetting the van is 7' 6" ish wide. This is something I do quite often and then I find every way I want to go is blocked by signs saying nothing over six foot six wide. This, as everyone probably knows, is buttock-clenching territory as you brush along the hedges and trees on both sides, praying that nothing comes toward you. Just 20 miles away from home and we felt like Victorian explorers!

I decided against following the sat-nav's advice telling me to go down a steep hill into a road that looked no more than three feet wide and we eventually made it to civilization: M&S Food in Sturry, for a much needed sarnie, crabstick, flapjack and apple juice (don't ask). We then headed off to Herne Bay, but a part we'd never been to before (Swalecliff), thanks to the local council telling me about a new car park with extra-large spaces after I whinged about the lack of motorhome parking in Herne Bay. Quieter than Herne Bay but really nice for walking the dogs.

We're finding that having to find somewhere large to park is opening up the area to us even more and making us look at the local area more carefully. We've become aware that we are lucky enough to live where many people want to travel to in their motorhomes so it seems only right that we explore it properly and enjoy it, even though it's always been there.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
But ull love it Simon maybe a trip for the future

When we win the lottery we're moving to the Highlands - preferably a nice big estate of course. I've been looking at them on Primelocation and have got a couple saved for the day we win :)

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
How long can you get away for? The South Downs are nice but we hate the M25 on Friday Sunday afternoons so tend to go north to the Peaks. East Anglia has been a family destination of ours for years.

I have Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off work every week, which is nice. We have looked at the South Downs but as we don't know the area we wouldn't know where was worthy of our attention ;)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Can you get away on Sat evening - if so, another night and more time exploring on Sundays? You could consider becoming a BritStop member and travelling the southern counties staying at their venues and exploring from there.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Can you get away on Sat evening - if so, another night and more time exploring on Sundays? You could consider becoming a BritStop member and travelling the southern counties staying at their venues and exploring from there.

We can get away as soon as I finish at 12.15pm on a Friday :) I will look into Britstop. Thank you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back