LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am in the early stages of thinking of a large fifth wheel trailer. As circumstances are constantly changing, such as I have little time to tour nowadays but still love Benidorm in the winter. The cost of getting here and back to the UK with a decent sized outfit is constantly escalating and we are spending a minimum of 6 months on winter quarters, it just seems the most practical thing to do. I can have a super fully serviced pitch over 60 ft long on a permanent basis for 4200 Euros per year and fly in and out for a few quid. I would not need a donkey to pull it, and just a small local reg car for running around. I have thought about a mobile home for some time now in Benidorm, but a large 5er gives more space with slideouts and also the added advantage of being able to move it if the need ever arose. Also it would be available for close family visits all year round, I dont like the summer sun so much, but it would be used by my daughter and grandchildren in school holidays. I love campsite life so an appartment would be out of the question. Its just in the thought stage at the moment, but anyone that knows me will know well that when I decide to do something I move pretty quick for an old fat so and so. Any thoughts will of course be welcome, re pros and cons as well as which would be the best make to look at.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I move pretty quick for an old fat so and so. Any thoughts will of course be welcome, (Quote)..

Not overly fat.....But you could always try watching your calorie intake...(y)................:p:D

Deleted User
Our circumstances are different but we have decided to domore or less the same thing except ours is now in Portugal. This will be the first Summer we have left it on site and we are wending our way back to it through France and Spain at the moment. We shall see how this works out after our first disastrous attempt at something similar at the Chickenrun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have thought long and hard about this and the main reason I discounted a 5er was that I caravanned for years and did not like the setting up and pulling down. Also having to run a large donkey all year round was not practical. A 5er on a permanent pitch just seems to be more sensible for me now with a small car for running around in.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
It makes sense, we have a trailer that we took around PT and ES last winter, and now we are thinking of siting it all year on a pitch somewhere in PT or ES. loads of room to live in, and the ability to move on if need be. And as you say, we could fly there and back for a few pounds, or roll on down with a vehicle, and have a couple of nights in a hotel en route.

Craig

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I think it all makes a lot of sense and it's clear that you've thought it through. Having the 5er will mean that should your circumstances change, then so can your surrounds and just move onto somewhere else :)

The whole plan sounds great too and at a very reasonable price. I was offered a permanent pitch here on the South Coast for the motorhome at around £15K, so your €420o sounds very good too :)

Whatever it is that you decide, keep us posted and have fun along the way :)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I have a permanently sited caravan in the Costa Del Sol.

Idid think about a 5er, but that meant either having a big pick up to take it down there and move it if I change my mind, or paying someone to do it for me.

In the end I plumped for a caravan and a 3 meter awning.

On the small car front you will need to get a Spanish registered one, if you plan to leave it there.
I know keeping a UK registered car there without having to bring it back to the UK can be done but it isn't legal.

I also have a small caravan which I use for touring and for my trip back through Europe in the summer.

Costs me €4,785 for the year but that does include unlimited Electricity, which I believe is not the case in Benidorm.

:cooler:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just a suggestion..

.. instead of paying an annual pitch, we had a caravan sited at Royan which we used every summer for about 5 years.. when we were not there it was pulled off the pitch and stored.. which meant we only paid pitch fees for the time spent there .. storage costs were very cheap, IIRC less than €100 per year.. ..

it only needed a phone call and it was sited for us on arrival..

Eventually I pulled it home and sold it

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Just a suggestion..

.. instead of paying an annual pitch, we had a caravan sited at Royan which we used every summer for about 5 years.. when we were not there it was pulled off the pitch and stored.. which meant we only paid pitch fees for the time spent there .. storage costs were very cheap, IIRC less than €100 per year.. ..

That is how I started out, but was aware that the pitch may not always be available for the winter. Those who permanently site, get pitch priority, and my pitch is huge and flat. It is also virtually shade free which is what you need for the winter.

At one time I had an Yank RV, my caravan, a PVC motorhome and an estate car on it, all at the same time ( don't ask ) which shows how big it is.

Sailing from Portsmouth on Tuesday and will be back there, either Thursday or Friday.

Can't wait.

:cooler:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I think it's a great idea Snowbird ,I fact when you posted the pictures of you and Smudger at your new winter quarters,I showed Mrs Vlad and said if that was us I'd get a fith wheel rig.
As you said you would get the winter sun and your family would benefit from holidays in the summer.

Vlad

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
But only just sorted the RMB and trailer I suppose that will be for sale soon then.
what about next week? you change your vans more often than your sox, hee heee

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
But only just sorted the RMB and trailer I suppose that will be for sale soon then.
what about next week? you change your vans more often than your sox, hee heee
Haven't worn socks for years Roger. Have never been anywhere cold enough. The RMB will sell itself when I make my mind up which is the best way for me to turn.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just a suggestion..

Good idea Jim. I could get storage here at 1 Euro per day, but as already stated, I would want to keep the pitch I have now, and if I pulled the van off there is a good chance I would lose the pitch. I am guaranteed one of the new pitches each winter for as long as I want, but by taking the pitch permanently I would save on the monthly rent and keep the pitch I like.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would have thought a big caravan and awning would be the easiest option for the use suggested but perhaps the head doesn't always win in these circumstances!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Why not just leave your RMB down there and fly or drive up and down as you like. Apart from an anual mot there is little differance. Use it as a stactic.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I would have thought a big caravan and awning would be the easiest option for the use suggested but perhaps the head doesn't always win in these circumstances!
The pitch is big enough for a 40ft 4 slide 5er so I may as well utilise the space.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Why not just leave your RMB down there and fly or drive up and down as you like. Apart from an anual mot there is little differance. Use it as a stactic.
Not a good idea to leave a vehicle standing for that length of time, and I would still have the expense of the trip up and down. Whilst I was back in the UK with the RMB the pitch would quite possibly be gone. Also the further expense of MOT, road tax and insurance.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you use a living van artic and pull it with the right vehicle you could just leave it all down there for ever . use the truck as the car . keep it on uk reg and tax it when necessary. doesnt need mot .

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
may be just as well getting a static.. or are they not allowed ?
Statics are allowed Jim, and there are several on site. The reason am thinking along the lines of a 5er is that if for any reason things change, which they often do, then a 5er could be easily moved somewhere else. There is also the added advantage of a 4 or 5 slide fifth wheel having more space, and at a discounted price in the States they will come in more cheaply than a static.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
if you use a living van artic and pull it with the right vehicle you could just leave it all down there for ever . use the truck as the car . keep it on uk reg and tax it when necessary. doesnt need mot .
Good idea Al, but am then stuck with a big donkey instead of a little roadster.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Statics are allowed Jim, and there are several on site. The reason am thinking along the lines of a 5er is that if for any reason things change, which they often do, then a 5er could be easily moved somewhere else. There is also the added advantage of a 4 or 5 slide fifth wheel having more space, and at a discounted price in the States they will come in more cheaply than a static.

makes sense Dave
.. however.. you would not need a big yank dually pick-up to pull it .. or would you just hire someone if it required re-siting ?

Sounds like your giving up touring,, or would you keep the RMB for that ?

or perhaps think about a downsize to a PVC that could be used to get there and back, touring plus use on site..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Good idea Al, but am then stuck with a big donkey instead of a little roadster.
but is it worth having a little roadster .
i enjoy driving my truck . gets almost anywhere a car can . fits in a car space . carries seven people . plus space for bits etc .

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Plus you can use city water and have flushing loos. Great idea, something I mentioned to Terry but he's not ready to give up touring just yet I don't think.
There will come a time though and that's my idea too.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
makes sense Dave
.. however.. you would not need a big yank dually pick-up to pull it .. or would you just hire someone if it required re-siting ?

Sounds like your giving up touring,, or would you keep the RMB for that ?

or perhaps think about a downsize to a PVC that could be used to get there and back, touring plus use on site..
If bought in the States or UK, I would pay someone to deliver. There are plenty of Yank trucks here if I ever wanted it moving, but I cant see that happening. Its just that I like to cover all my bases.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
but is it worth having a little roadster .
i enjoy driving my truck . gets almost anywhere a car can . fits in a car space . carries seven people . plus space for bits etc .
Its worth having a little roadster to me Al. I spent all my working life bouncing around in a truck. I just like to drop the hood and put my foot down sometimes, dont forget am still a petrol head deep down.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i suppose having a big m,bike here and taking the little dax away in the truck i cover that ok.
i try and ride a m,bike every day if i can . just another game to play.
i dont mind riding it in winter ,ha ha .

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This is a 70ft pitch. I can get a 40ft 5 slide fifth wheel on there with my party tent, car and all the rest of my toys. My bus and trailer combo is just short of 46 ft. Thats why I think its a good idea to secure this pitch for whatever future I have left. Once this site becomes known to the big rig boys it will be to late.
benidorm 002.JPG
benidorm 001.JPG

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats not a fifth wheel . thats a shed on wheels . hee hee .
what he needs is one like my avatar pic . a proper fifth wheel ,not like them yankie setups . ha ha .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back