Winter use. Tips? Swift Sundance 530LP (1 Viewer)

JohnnyW

Free Member
Sep 23, 2014
Stirling
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Caravanner for 30 years, new to MHs
I am new to my Swift Sundance 530 LP, but have 25+ years of caravanning experience, so I know many of the tricks.
We have always caravanned all year too, as I am a winter climber, and intend using my van this winter extensively.
I know this is a 'piece of string' question maybe, but how cold would you see it getting before you drained everything? I have a vision of me needing to do it every weekend, or maybe every other one, and it was a lot simpler with my caravan.
We live in Stirling, so do get Scottish winters. I watch the forecast avidly, so if it was just to drop below for a few hours a night for example, would you risk it?
As I say, a swithering question really, but I am just after everyone's experience - Drain it after every trip regardless? Any other obvious things I may need to know? It's having the onboard tanks that is unfamiliar to me. Should I lag any pipes etc? (I will be looking under the van obviously, buy wondered if anyone had any previous knowledge?
And what about salt off the roads?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If the forecast is in the minus degrees, I would drain down.. it can be a costly exercise replacing cracked basin and shower taps..

If you have a Truma boiler it should have an auto dump valve that auto drains down when the temperature falls to just above freezing.. IIRC about 6c

Lagging pipes and tanks is certainly worthwhile.. especially if you are using the van in sub zero conditions..

The grey waste pipes and tank is particularly vulnerable in sub zero conditions, .. best to leave the drain valve open and collect the waste in a bucket..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JohnnyW

Free Member
Sep 23, 2014
Stirling
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Caravanner for 30 years, new to MHs
Good idea with the bucket. I haven't yet got rid of my old Aquaroll waste unit yet, so that may be put to use again.
I may have the option of inside storage, so may go for that, and then I only have to worry about actual use, rather than it being outside in the elements....just like having it at home rather than away somewhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Using the van wont be an isse as most of the important parts are inside so will be kept warm by the space heating

For drian downs recommend the Floe system which you fit to the water pipes and used a tye compressor to blow the water out of the system. I fitted ball valves etc of my own and didnt buy the actual system but just used the idea but if you dont have the time, inclination or know how its a really good and quick way of draining all the pipes in your van. Take about 15 mins.
Even after doing this leave taps open and if you have a mixer with a lever leave half way between hot and cold.

Plus one on leaving the waste open.

You may even find that your insurance requires the system to be drained during the winter m=onths when not in use. Mine does - caravan guard

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Techno100 posted a very good thread with pictures of his DIY drain down system.

I can't seem to post the link but search

DIY Water System Forced Drain Down2014-07-07 under resources Techno100

Upvote 0

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Well not to far from you,and never spent a hogmanay or exmas at home since 1983 you should be fine, if your in the sub zero temps your brit van pipes will freeze ie waste and fresh, so bottled water and basin for waste.The best vans for winter touring are German my last caravan and last two m/h have been german and never had a pipe freeze so far and the coldest at Granton was -20.Best of luck iff you wat to pm me i can give you ideas.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back